Realm Population

85 Night Elf Rogue
You know, I only read the first post, but being essentially born and raised on this server, it amazes me when someone points out that it's not only low pop, but that Alliance is grossly outnumbered, lol. They should post warning signs here or something XD

Or mandatory transfers o.o
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Rogue
03/14/2011 09:11 AMPosted by Sardaukarz
Finally, if u really think about it : Blizz it's a company, and theyre primary goal it's to make money. It costs 25$ to transfer and 30$ to change faction.

Pretty much this. They make more money by not merging low pop servers and by not offering free x-fers to low pop servers.

If 3 people got fed up and 2 x-fered and one quit. They won't see any loss from the cancellation for 3 months. If one of those people also faction changed, they don't see any loss for 4-5 months.

At this point, they are much more about making money then making a great game. The game is starting to offer the most to the players willing to spend the most. Look at the cross realm real ID grouping they are testing before making it a paid service.

$15 lets you play the game. It costs extra if you want to fully enjoy the game. Unless you were smart/lucky and joined a good server that's still doing well. Every-time I turn around it seems like they are adding yet another micro transaction to get as much money as possible. You'd think at least *some* of that extra revenue would go into making the game better. But then again, why offer anything for free if someone somewhere is willing to pay.

Blizzard are exceptionally good businessmen. But they are starting to become horrible game designers as they add more and more paid services. There is prolly someone at their home office right now crunching the numbers to see if making each raid cost an entry fee would be profitable, and figuring out how much they could charge before they lost too many subs to make it profitable.
Reply Quote
30 Draenei Shaman
07/27/2011 11:20 AMPosted by Finkathy
$15 lets you play the game. It costs extra if you want to fully enjoy the game

Rerolling a new toon is "free"

Every-time I turn around it seems like they are adding yet another micro transaction to get as much money as possible

None of which are vital to gameplay.

see if making each raid cost an entry fee would be profitable

It would be because no matter how much complaining people do, you still all play the game and would continue to do so.

The only other customer base that I have ever seen !@#$% non stop about the product without giving it up is that of junkies / addicts. That says a lot of the ~12 million subscription base huh?

Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
I'm not sure what Blizzard should do about low population realms and factions...

Get off their cheapskate asses and combine servers, for starters. They opened up too many new servers back in the day imo, and never cared to remedy that. They think it's cute to allow rare and temporary "free transfers" from high pop servers to extremely low ones and call that a bandaid. A few schmucks might fall for it, but generally people don't want to transfer to a bad server :(

Chromaggus is off just as bad from what I understand :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
It would be because no matter how much complaining people do, you still all play the game and would continue to do so.

Just like you and ret.

heyo

Reply Quote
30 Draenei Shaman
08/17/2011 03:18 AMPosted by Quasìmodo
Just like you and ret.

A great man once told me that a true paladin never gives up.

Reply Quote
Why do they call them pals.

i don't like any of them.
Reply Quote
03/25/2011 11:43 PMPosted by Jammy
I'm one of the weirdos who enjoys the low population experience.

I'm with you, Jammy.

I've been here since vanilla and people have always complained about pop/imbalance and it has never made a bit of difference. Learn to love it.
Reply Quote
can anyone give a link to a site that has a accurate number of population for each realms?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
1. no site has ACCURATE realm population info. sites that do actually give realm population info are based on people using their addon and the information is so far off that it's completely useless.

2. you necro'd a 4 month old thread just to ask that?
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warrior
3. Isn't there a link in the first post?

Also, add-ons and sites do provide interesting and useful information. I'll agree that there is misleading information, but they're not useless.

I don't think the site mentioned in the first post should default to showing the total number of characters seen for each faction and use those numbers to determine the population balance it shows by default.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
03/17/2011 12:08 AMPosted by Arammìs
Has anyone seen that commercial about not saying the word gay?
I felt as though I'd been yelled at by Wanda Sykes at the end of that commercial.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
the information on sites like that are so grossly inaccurate that it's not even funny. only blizzard can give ACCURATE numbers and they never will.

from the armory:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/guild/blackwing-lair/programmed%20to%20be%20awesome/

Programmed to be Awesome
Level 19 Alliance Guild,
Blackwing Lair
552 members

if one alliance guild alone has 552 members (159 of which are lvl 85), how can there be 291 alliance total as that site claims?

I did a little test just to see how off this site was.
I took a guild that I saw alot of people in and looked it up on that site to see how active it said they were. It said there were a little over 40 members active over the last week.

I then looked up the same guid on the armory.
There were over 120 active within the last 24 hours of when I looked.
250+ active within that last week alone when the other site said a little over 40.
Edited by Mursh on 1/27/2012 10:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warrior
Here's a new link that uses the Armory:
http://wow.realmpop.com/us-blackwing-lair.html

Because it uses the armory, it doesn't reliably show an activity level, but since it doesn't require user submissions, it's a lot of useful information.

The site in the first post works if there are enough people using the add-on and uploading the data they gather. The population here is too small to have enough people using the add-on so the site is unable to provide data that can be used to directly compare the factions in most aspects.
Edited by Celegorm on 1/28/2012 8:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
necro
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warrior
01/28/2012 08:32 AMPosted by Dblockn
necro

That's perhaps half the posts on the BWL board.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I can't say that i enjoy being on a low population realm, but unless my guild moves servers, im staying. Because

1) im really cheap
2) im super cheap
3) 30 bucks to change realms? id rather buy a new pair of pants
4) ive been here since vanilla
5) im really cheap
6) i want in on a royalfelix pvp video lmao
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]