Patch Solution - Norton High Security Threat

(Locked)

74 Human Warrior
This was found by Dante. Thank you Dante, you have saved lives.

1. > Open Norton.
2. > Click 'Settings'
3. > Scroll down to 'SONAR PROTECTION'
4. > Click 'OFF' (The Bar that says 'ON')
5. > Click 'APPLY'
6. > Set the duration for 15 minutes.
7. > Run WoW and begin downloading.

*Note: These steps do give you a risk of being vulnerable for 15 minutes. If you are unaware, you are only applying 'Sonar Protection' off for a guaranteed 15 minutes. You can turn it back on manually after you have downloaded the patch. Also, please, refrain the nasty comments on another post. Thanks! I hope this helped.

-Other Solution- (Recommended by Players & Blizzard)

1. > Press 'Start' on the bottom left hand of your desktop.
2. > Go to 'My Computer' or 'Computer'
3. > Go to 'Local Disk' or 'OS C:'
4. > Go to 'Program Files' or 'Program Files x86' (Where ever is your WoW Folder)
5. > Go to 'World of Warcraft'
6. > Repair World of Warcraft (Repair.Exe)
Edited by Strive on 3/15/2011 2:58 PM PDT
85 Human Paladin
Worked for me, thanks bro.
85 Dwarf Death Knight
why would i do that if there is a problem with the download why let it go through?
74 Human Warrior
It works, I promise.
85 Dwarf Death Knight
im sure it does but what about the fact that the update is corrupted?
74 Human Warrior
It's not. I'm on WoW. Excuse me, I have a dungeon to complete.
85 Gnome Warlock
Ok so not sure if there are different versions of norton out there,, but i dont see the Sonar Monitoring section to turn off ??? any advice ?
85 Gnome Warlock
03/15/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Bezelbub
Ok so not sure if there are different versions of norton out there,, but i dont see the Sonar Monitoring section to turn off ??? any advice ?

I had the same problem locating sonar, I found mine under the antivirus settings, hope that helps.
74 Human Warrior
I have Norton Internet Security on my bar.
90 Gnome Warlock
Here is a fix for nortons 360

To turn off or turn on SONAR Protection

In the Norton 360 main window, click Settings.

In the Settings window, under Detailed Settings, click Antivirus.

On the Automatic Protection tab, under Real Time Protection, in the SONAR Protection row, do one of the following:

To turn off SONAR Protection, move the On/Off switch to the right to the Off position.

To turn on SONAR Protection, move the On/Off switch to the left to the On position.

In the Settings window, click Apply.

this was copied from nortons help center and it worked
74 Human Warrior
^
Thanks this worked for me
74 Human Warrior
Very helpful!
Edited by Strive on 3/15/2011 11:19 AM PDT
90 Worgen Rogue
I personally don't feel comfortable bypassing this until I know whether or not Blizz sanctions this, i.e. their files are legit. Already had my account compromised once before, I plan not to let it happen again because of careless impatience.

Dear Blizz, please certify your junk .. here on the forums, so we know we're not being screwed.
85 Draenei Death Knight
Thanks I was wondering why it wouldnt patch... It wouldn't even show errors and i tried that and poof it patchs ... Thanks all
85 Gnome Warlock
i jus did it i will let you know how it works
71 Blood Elf Mage
Thanks, you guys were helluva lot more helpful than the Norton forums to get this over with.
Support Forum Agent
Thanks for the information Strive and Dante.

We did release a patch for the game launcher this morning. If you're seeing an issue like this with Norton, try the recommended steps.

03/15/2011 10:37 AMPosted by Strive
Open Norton. Click 'Settings' - Scroll down to 'SONAR PROTECTION' - Click 'OFF' - Click 'APPLY' - Set the duration for 15 minutes - Run WoW

How's my driving? https://www.surveymk.com/s/R5D3LCF
85 Tauren Warrior
Well i tryed the norten deal and it worked for me im currently wow! yay thx Jaeda for the help.
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
03/15/2011 11:22 AMPosted by Kovic
I personally don't feel comfortable bypassing this until I know whether or not Blizz sanctions this, i.e. their files are legit

Wouldn't be stickied if it wasn't. AFAIK One of the forum regulars asked a blue to sticky this one.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]