Patch Solution - Norton High Security Threat

(Locked)

90 Human Death Knight
Another way for Norton 360 users. (without disabling sonar protection)
1. Sonar pops with threat.
2. Go to security history click on threat
3. Click on option.
5. Restore from quarantine.
6. Go to settings > Firewall > Program Rules> Allow Blizzard Down loader(wow-4.0.1.2210-enus-tools-downloader.exe).
90 Goblin Warrior
Thanks that solved the problem and only had SONAR off for less than 2 minutes.
41 Dwarf Hunter
I have uninstalled Norton and I still get the error "could not establish connection to downloader or updater". I also did the WOW repair, which said everything was fine. But nothing worked! When I tried safe mode for XP as was suggested, WOW said it was up to date. But when I went back to regular windows mode, I got the SAME ERROR again. PLEASE HELP
Edited by Pisdoffmiget on 3/16/2011 2:11 AM PDT
80 Undead Mage
It all comes down to.... Blizzard should have run the update on a machine that has the latest Norton AntiVirus on it. Upon doing so, they see the update is being flagged as a virus.

From there they should have either adjusted the code in the update to work with NAV (as *all* their previous updates have), OR.. they should have contacted Norton and notified them to whitelist this file.

Telling millions of users to disable their antivirus software in order to run the update was NOT the correct way to go about doing this.
90 Troll Hunter
03/15/2011 5:28 PMPosted by Spazpally
Don't put your PC at risk because of bad programming...

This is correct. And also the reason why one should never use Norton. 'Nuff said.
irc://chat.freenode.net/wowtech
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wowtech
90 Troll Hunter
It all comes down to.... Blizzard should have run the update on a machine that has the latest Norton AntiVirus on it. Upon doing so, they see the update is being flagged as a virus.

From there they should have either adjusted the code in the update to work with NAV (as *all* their previous updates have), OR.. they should have contacted Norton and notified them to whitelist this file.

Telling millions of users to disable their antivirus software in order to run the update was NOT the correct way to go about doing this.

Then go talk to Symantec. The "home" version of the software stinks. If it's so good, why did the corporate versions of Symantec (like Endpoint) not flag the update? Hmmmmm?

It's not up to Blizzard to contact every AV company out there. However, it IS up to every AV company to ensure their product doesn't interfere with legitimate programs. 'Nuff said.
irc://chat.freenode.net/wowtech
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wowtech
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I cant believe Bliz told people to turn off thier AV protection. This appears to be Bliz's mistake in not properly attaching the digital certificate. So, instead of fixing it .. they say turn off your AV software?

I almost hope that a million or so people get a virus during that 15 min and lay it firmly on Bliz's doorstep (not from Bliz, I dont think there is anything wrong with thier patch, but from the 15 min of unprotected time). Just to note, I dont really hope that, since then it would make all other Wow forums much more vulnerable.

Not that anyone cares on a multi page thread, but the proper way to fix this is (FOR NORTON USERS) is to go into your History (in norton) and unquarentine the patch, then find the file (C:\world of warcraft\temp\wow-4.01xxxxxx or wherever yours is located) and install it manually (by clicking on it). I read somewhere that running repair.exe (in the WoW directory) will also fix it?
85 Dwarf Warrior
I was worried about bypassing my security but I had to try it sooner or later. It worked out without a problem.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Ty man rly helped. Download went rly fast too.
85 Worgen Death Knight
ok so i have turned off the sonar completely ive even allowed wow for norton but the patch is still under a firewall what do i dooo!!??
100 Human Mage
One other point that helped me is the fact that I had been running Norton 360 version 4.0. I had been seeing lag like syptems and had been going crazy contacting ISP, Router company, as well as Blizzard. What seemed to fix the problem for me is when Norton upgraded me to the 5.0 version of Norton 360 and the game play seems to be much bvetter. No more extreme spell lags or major looting issues so far. This only seemed to be needed after Cata went live, WoTLK was working good on the 4.0 software. I hope this helps.
Edited by Johanlex on 3/26/2011 10:16 PM PDT
84 Troll Rogue
03/15/2011 1:05 PMPosted by Vangon
Optional fix-it steps: Uninstall Norton, download Avast! or Microsoft Security Essentials as free and better alternatives. Speaking as a computer and security expert, I would never recommend Norton.

I currently use Avast and always recommend it to everyone over Norton. I would never waste my money on a program like Norton. Norton is a big headache just like McAfee.
85 Draenei Shaman
Thank you so so so much!!!! Helped alot ^^
Support Forum Agent
::casts shackle undead at thread::

Check your G-diffuser system!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]