Patch Solution - Norton High Security Threat

(Locked)

90 Tauren Warrior
WOOT!!! Game on thanx all!
90 Undead Mage
@ Deeney, Thanks for that advice on Norton because my wasn't showing either and I read your post and there it was under the Anti Virus settings. Not bad for a Gnome warlock, good think you guys are thinkers or I woulda been screwed =)
100 Human Warlock
You don't even have to turn it off for X mins. When the pop up appears click view more details, then options. And then you'll have the ability to exclude that file from scans. Which is basically telling SONAR that it is safe, until the community catches up.
85 Dwarf Rogue
03/15/2011 12:50 PMPosted by Necrepid
Does Blizzard not have a room full of computers with different setups, ONE OF WHICH has Norton Antivirus on it, and test their stuff out BEFORE releasing it to the public? Apparently not.

They probably do. But to put it simply, if Blizzard is a stereo company and you want them to fix your car stereo you have to unlock your car first.
100 Dwarf Priest
WOW. And I don't mean "WoW"..

Blizzard now wants everyone to start dropping functions of their antivirus programs in order to use their software.

That's real secure.

Does Blizzard not have a room full of computers with different setups, ONE OF WHICH has Norton Antivirus on it, and test their stuff out BEFORE releasing it to the public? Apparently not.

And I trust these people with my credit card # ???

NOT ANYMORE !

/facepalm

I can only hope you were being facetious.
100 Dwarf Warrior
Norton is notorious for giving false positives on software updates.
100 Orc Warlock
03/15/2011 12:55 PMPosted by Sinmara

Wouldn't be stickied if it wasn't. AFAIK One of the forum regulars asked a blue to sticky this one.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)

Here to help? Ironic, shooting someone's legitimate concern about account safety. I can see why people are puzzled why this even occurring and it should be clarified in the thread to fix it. You honestly can't expect people to blindly follow it's "shhh, it's okay, it's safe." due to a sticky. Last time I had a problem with a patch I had to reinstall the game, despite a sticky to "fix" it.

Uh, how was he shooting that person down at all? They were concerned because they wanted to know if Blizzard sanctioned this method, and the MVP responded by clarifying that indeed they must because the topic was stickied.
74 Human Warrior
03/15/2011 12:55 PMPosted by Sinmara

Wouldn't be stickied if it wasn't. AFAIK One of the forum regulars asked a blue to sticky this one.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)

Here to help? Ironic, shooting someone's legitimate concern about account safety. I can see why people are puzzled why this even occurring and it should be clarified in the thread to fix it. You honestly can't expect people to blindly follow it's "shhh, it's okay, it's safe." due to a sticky. Last time I had a problem with a patch I had to reinstall the game, despite a sticky to "fix" it.

While that's partially true, this in fact isn't turning off SONAR. As mentioned before, you have a timer to put your SONAR protection back online, which in my case, was 15 minutes. It's just turning SONAR protection off to bypass the download, however, you are vulnerable for 15 minutes, but you still have your Firewall on and you could run a scan. And, even if it's stickied, that does not mean it won't work all the time. I'm assuring you this one will work if you have the previous norton or possibly the latest.
90 Orc Warrior
If you have COMCAST'S norton suite its a little different to find:

-Open Norton Suite
-Settings (at top)
-Anitvirus (top left)
-Look through the list and find "SONAR protection"
-switch it from ON to OFF
-hit apply
-select 15 mins

re-run the launcher and after that finishes downloading the tools and PLAY becomes available...play WoW and have fun :)
Optional fix-it steps: Uninstall Norton, download Avast! or Microsoft Security Essentials as free and better alternatives. Speaking as a computer and security expert, I would never recommend Norton.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Working great thanks for the help! However it did cause me to break out with severe hives at first....oh noes my wow is corrupt haha.
100 Draenei Mage
WOW. And I don't mean "WoW"..

Blizzard now wants everyone to start dropping functions of their antivirus programs in order to use their software.

That's real secure.

And I trust these people with my credit card # ???

NOT ANYMORE !

If you aren't techie, don't understand anti-virus software, or software in general...why would you post this?

The issue is with Symantec to resolve. Not Blizzard. Blame Symantec.
Edited by Hierophant on 3/15/2011 1:10 PM PDT
2 Blood Elf Priest
Worked for me also, ty strive for the info!
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I actually had to uninstall Norton - yet another reason to hate Norton.
85 Draenei Shaman
03/15/2011 1:05 PMPosted by Vangon
Optional fix-it steps: Uninstall Norton, download Avast! or Microsoft Security Essentials as free and better alternatives. Speaking as a computer and security expert, I would never recommend Norton.

This.
Avast free is much better than Norton.
Norton = Trying to down Magmaw wearing ICC gear compared to Avast being ilvl 359.
85 Human Warrior
K so that solves Norton`s problems however, what about McAfee? Still having an error come up as #134. I`ve been trying to fix it since last night called Blizz and was on the phone for an hour only to have my phone not work correctly. So if you all know of any fixes for McAfee please feel free to share with me. Thank you very much for your time.
74 Human Warrior
McAfee, hmm.. I switched once I heard about Norton.. Anyway you can uninstall McAfee then download the tools then reinstall McAfee?
87 Draenei Paladin
I just downloaded the most recent Norton virus definitions through LiveUpdate which is a part of the Norton security suite.

wow-4.0.1.2210-enus-tools-downloader.exe still trips SONAR.
It is listed as "High risk" because the program was "behaving suspiciously".
SONAR shut it down and removed the file before it accomplished anything.

The default rule is: This behavior would indicate Virus-like activity, or unsigned software (a big no-no).

Point of clarification: This has never happened with any of the previous downloads in over 4 years of playing.

I do not feel comfortable disabling SONAR on my machine, nor should it be recommended by Blizzard to do so.
I have it for a reason: to protect my computer, and by extension, my account from unwanted / unknown intrusion. Up to this point, it has been successful.
Since I am not the type of person who goes about fixing things that are not broken, I find it highly unlikely that I will be removing / crippling an effective security measure on my machine.

Please fix this ASAP so I can play.
~Donovan
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]