Patch Solution - Norton High Security Threat

(Locked)

62 Night Elf Warrior
Thank you very much
30 Worgen Hunter
I wanted to mention a couple of things on this issue:

1. If you get the "Sonar Protection" error and Norton quarantines the file, you will first have to unquarantine it and then you can do as has been suggested.

2. You can also do this another way. In the settings for "Sonar Protection", there is a section in there to exclude a directory. Thus, you can type in for example c:\program files\wow and be sure that the box is checked that says to include all subdirectories and save the setting. Thus, Norton will never check the game anymore for Sonar Protection.

I am not at home so I do not have specific steps. I can type them up here later today.

Craighunt
85 Tauren Hunter
03/15/2011 12:57 PMPosted by Rhorle
You don't even have to turn it off for X mins. When the pop up appears click view more details, then options. And then you'll have the ability to exclude that file from scans. Which is basically telling SONAR that it is safe, until the community catches up.

Sonar uses the community as part of the way for it to detect it is safe. If you turn it off to install you are not helping the community and everyone else will continue to get the alert. Sonar only 5 had approved it last I looked. /sigh

When the message pops up click on the options link and restore file telling it to ignore that risk (file). Then close and restart the wow client.
62 Undead Rogue
03/15/2011 1:05 PMPosted by Vangon
Optional fix-it steps: Uninstall Norton, download Avast! or Microsoft Security Essentials as free and better alternatives. Speaking as a computer and security expert, I would never recommend Norton.

out or curiousity, what's wrong with norton? I've also had McAfee on my last laptop and both programs seem find for me...

Edit; also ty for the solution even if it did raise an eyebrow when sonar popped up
Edited by Porcini on 3/15/2011 1:31 PM PDT
100 Orc Shaman
I do not feel comfortable disabling SONAR on my machine, nor should it be recommended by Blizzard to do so.
I have it for a reason: to protect my computer, and by extension, my account from unwanted / unknown intrusion. Up to this point, it has been successful.
Since I am not the type of person who goes about fixing things that are not broken, I find it highly unlikely that I will be removing / crippling an effective security measure on my machine.

Please fix this ASAP so I can play

Completely legitimate concern Donovan. Head straight over to the Symantec forums and report this issue as a false-positive and have them take a better look at it. I don't believe Blizzard has anything to do with what Norton reports as a malicious activity or not.
74 Human Warrior
I just downloaded the most recent Norton virus definitions through LiveUpdate which is a part of the Norton security suite.

wow-4.0.1.2210-enus-tools-downloader.exe still trips SONAR.
It is listed as "High risk" because the program was "behaving suspiciously".
SONAR shut it down and removed the file before it accomplished anything.

The default rule is: This behavior would indicate Virus-like activity, or unsigned software (a big no-no).

Point of clarification: This has never happened with any of the previous downloads in over 4 years of playing.

I do not feel comfortable disabling SONAR on my machine, nor should it be recommended by Blizzard to do so.
I have it for a reason: to protect my computer, and by extension, my account from unwanted / unknown intrusion. Up to this point, it has been successful.
Since I am not the type of person who goes about fixing things that are not broken, I find it highly unlikely that I will be removing / crippling an effective security measure on my machine.

Please fix this ASAP so I can play.
~Donovan

Actually, I called Norton and got a positive response, therefore, they said it could be just a tool they think could have a virus, but they looked into it more and found it was not a virus, simply just a program used to update the files for WoW.
Edited by Strive on 3/15/2011 1:35 PM PDT
85 Troll Hunter
I went to settings but i did not see an option to turn it off... Any tips?
74 Human Warrior
You must have the latest version.

After clicking 'settings' go to 'antivirus' then that should solve your question!
I also had this fail. Apparently it can mess up the launcher program in memory. I shut down Norton, rebooted then restarted wow. It then updated and ran. Turn back on Norton. Done.
85 Troll Hunter
Anti virus is grayed out and i cant click it
90 Gnome Death Knight
Clicking that 15 minute thing.... Will that mean that SONAR will turn back on after 15 mins?
74 Human Warrior
03/15/2011 1:39 PMPosted by Spaxkle
Clicking that 15 minute thing.... Will that mean that SONAR will turn back on after 15 mins?

Yes, Spaxkle.
90 Human Death Knight
Ok....

1. If anyone thinks Blizzard is installing viruses on our machines...get real.

2. Google "virus false positive" to learn what this is, and what it means when it happens. If you do this, you will (at least should) quickly learn that it is the antivirus software maker responsibility to correct it.

3. If you are this unsure about disabling features of your AV software, the solution is simple. Stop playing WoW until Norton fixes the problem.
Edited by Datemyavatar on 3/15/2011 1:42 PM PDT
Thanks everyone.
90 Troll Shaman
I JUST posted about this.. haha I didn't think anyone else had a problem with it so I didn't bother looking around.
87 Draenei Paladin
Norton may not be the best out there ... but it is Certainly better than having no protection at all ... which is exactly what I would have if I disabled SONAR.
85 Night Elf Druid
Strive, Dante, you are my heros!
As an after-thought, I would like to turn the sonar protection back on as soon as it's all updated (I don't want to take any security risks), is that going to mess with the game again?
100 Night Elf Hunter
Any ideas if you have AVG?
74 Human Warrior
Strive, Dante, you are my heros!
As an after-thought, I would like to turn the sonar protection back on as soon as it's all updated (I don't want to take any security risks), is that going to mess with the game again?

Citah, you're only turning SONAR off for 15 minutes. You have a one in a million chance of getting a virus for turning it off for 15 minutes. You'll be fine, and no, nothing will happen.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]