Patch Solution - Norton High Security Threat

(Locked)

70 Gnome Mage
This is amazing blizzard is recommending people to disable av protection. Even just for 5-15mins.
When there own repair tool corrects the issue.
I have done it 3 times on 3 different pcs with 3 different AV products (norton, mcafee and avg). Other people have also posted saying wow repair worked.
Yet not one post by a blue mentioning to try this before disabling AV software. Nor is anything mentioned that people should not have browser windows open or be browsing the web all willy nilly with no protection while wow updates. Just hey do this to disable that and then you can play....

Repair took all of 5 mins to complete and I did not have to disable any protection at all.
Edited by Polypocket on 3/15/2011 2:28 PM PDT
85 Troll Shaman
Great! Thanks!
100 Orc Death Knight
Here is a fix for nortons 360

To turn off or turn on SONAR Protection

In the Norton 360 main window, click Settings.

In the Settings window, under Detailed Settings, click Antivirus.

On the Automatic Protection tab, under Real Time Protection, in the SONAR Protection row, do one of the following:

To turn off SONAR Protection, move the On/Off switch to the right to the Off position.

To turn on SONAR Protection, move the On/Off switch to the left to the On position.

In the Settings window, click Apply.

this was copied from nortons help center and it worked

I can confirm this works.
100 Draenei Mage
@ Donovan..

I haven't read any directions from anyone in this thread, including instructions from Blizzard, that have a potetial to injure your system.

It's obvious that you understand very little about computers. So these conversations are quickly going nowhere.

So the best advice for you (and others who think like you), would be to sit tight, and wait for Symantec to resolve the issue through a Live Update. :)
85 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for your help! Now i got some 2s to do...
85 Night Elf Rogue
@ All you fools calling this a "false positive" issue. The issue is that Blizzard failed to digitally sign their own file. Therefore advanced security software such as Norton correctly detects unsigned files attempting to modify your computer. Normally Blizz signs their files and this does not occur. This is a simple and sloppy error on the part of Blizz. Why do they not simply sign the file and re-release the patch? They certainly know what the problem is, this is not the first time this has happened.
85 Orc Death Knight
TYVM
85 Worgen Death Knight
I'm no expert but disabling antivirus auto-protect solved my issue instantly
90 Night Elf Druid
I think I'm having the same problem except with Kaspersky Anti-virus, anyone know what the sonar protection equivalent is?
87 Draenei Paladin
@ Heirophant

Here is your best solution to the problem that you obviously have: Learn to read the posts before you speak up about them.

Here's an FYI for you as well: I did not ask for, nor did I need, your advice, as you have suggested. You are putting yourself on a pedestal that simply does not exist.

Back on track: I am currently running the Blizz repair tool as suggested by PolyPocket. I'll post with results shortly.
85 Worgen Death Knight
when i do any of that it says. updater connection timeout
90 Troll Hunter
Ignore advice to disable Norton. Run the blizzard repair tool. Fixes things right up with no drama.
You can disable your security if you want to, but far better to just repair wow and let the security software do its job.
17 Blood Elf Hunter
Many thanks , repair tool worked for me
90 Worgen Hunter
@ heirophant

When I re-read your posts I realize that you are missing the issue that I have with the recommendation made by Blizz.

I recommend that you re-read them yourself. In doing so, you may realize that blindly following directions that have a potential to injure your system will help no one.

I had SONAR off for just a minute, just as long for the patch to download. As soon as it was finished, I turned it back on. You have a better chance of a plane falling on your head than getting a virus by having SONAR turned off for such a short length of time.
90 Night Elf Druid
confirmed wow repair works, find it in the launcher>help>repair. eeaaasyy fix ty pollypocket.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
@ Strive - Thanks for the post! Not bad for a human. :P
Thank you Polypocket. Repair tool worked just fine.
87 Draenei Paladin
PolyPocket,

Nice catch with the repair tool.
Fixed mine without a single issue, and I never turned off SONAR.

Thanks Poly :)

~Donovan
85 Human Paladin
03/15/2011 2:33 PMPosted by Azmodeus
@ All you fools calling this a "false positive" issue. The issue is that Blizzard failed to digitally sign their own file. Therefore advanced security software such as Norton correctly detects unsigned files attempting to modify your computer. Normally Blizz signs their files and this does not occur. This is a simple and sloppy error on the part of Blizz. Why do they not simply sign the file and re-release the patch? They certainly know what the problem is, this is not the first time this has happened.

You said advanced security and Norton in the same sentence.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]