Guild Hall idea, eh?

90 Pandaren Priest
Player housing and guild halls were both features that were promised. However at these points don't expect this into the game UNLESS Rift or Star Wars actually shows they can take players away from WoW.

If these games do not take away from the WoW player base, Blizz will have no incentive to actually improve character customization.

Hm. This is true to an extent. Blizzard usually does not improve the quality of the game unless they feel threatened, or during an expansion.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
03/19/2011 12:39 PMPosted by Bloodbliss
Just don't let Claria or Tink design it, Maybe Vork, his was kinda cool.

i'll go with Vork's design on my main guild and Clarissa and Tink's design on my just-for-the pretty-pink-tabard-with-cupcakes guild.

Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
What I think would be cool? When you clear a raid instance, you have the choice of making the raid instance your guild hall. You enter it when you're not in a raid grp.

The problem with that is that it limits a player's ability to use any guild NPCs that may be in the Guild Hall, or any portal rooms like Luscen has suggested. Perhaps portals to raids that a guild has completely cleared would be interesting to have, instead? Say you clear Conclave and Al'akir - you now have a portal to use that will drop you right into Throne of the Four Winds from here on out, whether its cleared or not, as a raid 'unlockable' Guild ability.

Well let me elaborate. We have normal/heroic, 10/25 settings for raids. It wouldn't be that hard to add an additional "guild" setting for the raid that you set as your guild hall. Itll let you enter the cleared instance, the guild can set it up like your usual guild hall with npcs, crafting, portals, the whole shebang. It would add more customization to the guild halls, instead of just having "you can have your guild hall in buidling A in SW, or building B in IF".

Besides, adding a third setting wouldn't be hard. We already know that blizz has implemented unused dungeon settings.

I hate to reference it like this, but Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald had a similar Idea. You could access hidden areas in caves/forests etc and set up your own customized player base.
Edited by Ganrokh on 3/19/2011 12:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Well let me elaborate. We have normal/heroic, 10/25 settings for raids. It wouldn't be that hard to add an additional "guild" setting for the raid that you set as your guild hall. Itll let you enter the cleared instance, the guild can set it up like your usual guild hall with npcs, crafting, portals, the whole shebang. It would add more customization to the guild halls, instead of just having "you can have your guild hall in buidling A in SW, or building B in IF".

Besides, adding a third setting wouldn't be hard. We already know that blizz has implemented unused dungeon settings.

This is a pretty interesting idea. The only problem is that every time the raids reset, you would lose all of your saved customization and your guild hall will reset itself. Likewise, you would have to recustomize your normal Guild Hall all over again. This poses multiple complications.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Player housing and guild halls were both features that were promised. However at these points don't expect this into the game UNLESS Rift or Star Wars actually shows they can take players away from WoW.

If these games do not take away from the WoW player base, Blizz will have no incentive to actually improve character customization.

Hm. This is true to an extent. Blizzard usually does not improve the quality of the game unless they feel threatened, or during an expansion.

This is why I want Rift and/or Star Wars to succeed. Not because I want WoW knocked off, but because I want Blizzard's "take the player base for granted" attitude to be knocked off.

Many things have been promised than the promise taken away and the playerbase is now convinced those features will never happen. Races and classes still look like a clone of each other. Every Blood Elf female is the same height, some body build as every other Bloof Elf female. Same with every other race's gender in the game. We all dress alike, we all look alike. Azeroth seems like a planet populated more of clones then individuals.

I want the appearance tab feature. Yes, I do hate what the artists did to mage t11. I'm not a Warlock. However I want to wear the Netherwind set, the T6 set, even the old low level Buccaneer set I have had for over 6 years in the hope that this feature is made sometime.

Yes, I want player housing like they promised. No, I do not want a house like I can build in the Sims. I don't want a bedroom, a kitchen or living room. What I want is a place I can display old armor sets on models of my character. A place I can display older epic weapons I earned in the game.

Isn't it rather sad we as players have to practically beg to be allowed to enjoy what we have gotten while playing the game?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter

This is a pretty interesting idea. The only problem is that every time the raids reset, you would lose all of your saved customization and your guild hall will reset itself. Likewise, you would have to recustomize your normal Guild Hall all over again. This poses multiple complications.

Set it up like the old Champion's hall used to work. An instanced area with the same layout as the dungeon. The Champion's hall never reset i don't believe. You could stay in there year-round and never be ported out.

Requirement for setting up a guild hall in an instance? Guild achievement for clearing it. Simple.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
03/19/2011 12:52 PMPosted by Ganrokh

The problem with that is that it limits a player's ability to use any guild NPCs that may be in the Guild Hall, or any portal rooms like Luscen has suggested. Perhaps portals to raids that a guild has completely cleared would be interesting to have, instead? Say you clear Conclave and Al'akir - you now have a portal to use that will drop you right into Throne of the Four Winds from here on out, whether its cleared or not, as a raid 'unlockable' Guild ability.

I hate to reference it like this, but Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald had a similar Idea. You could access hidden areas in caves/forests etc and set up your own customized player base.

It is an intriguing idea. However, I would like WoW to do what Guild Wars did and make guild halls be more of a battleground type area and institute guild battles that would occur in the guild halls. I think it would lend itself very well to this new encouragement of guild "bonding" they have been supporting since Cataclysm's release.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
03/19/2011 12:58 PMPosted by Lilkitten
It is an intriguing idea. However, I would like WoW to do what Guild Wars did and make guild halls be more of a battleground type area and institute guild battles that would occur in the guild halls. I think it would lend itself very well to this new encouragement of guild "bonding" they have been supporting since Cataclysm's release.

That could be how PvP guilds get a guild hall. To add a similar element to PvE guild halls, the hall could come under siege by followers of whoever the endboss was, trying to take it back.
Edited by Ganrokh on 3/19/2011 1:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

That's not a half bad idea! There could even be a listing of previous wins and losses, with an ability to post challenges to or from players in a guild to other players in the guild. I also liked the idea you mentioned about being able to display old epics or armor models. Perhaps there could be a section of the Guild Hall dedicated to such displays. Although, if I were to go that route personally, I would want a room or location dedicated to Boss defeats - put a small model, obvious not to real size, in a room (perhaps on shelves) to display what bosses the guild has defeated as a group. Perhaps this area could even house medals of teams that a Guild arena team has challenged and defeated.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/19/2011 1:02 PMPosted by Ganrokh

That could be how PvP guilds get a guild hall. To add a similar element to PvE guild halls, the hall could come under siege by followers of whoever the endboss was, trying to take it back.

Explain? I'm not sure I'm getting what you mean by this. Do you man that Guild Halls should be able to be contested for control, like a PvP zone?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
03/19/2011 1:12 PMPosted by Nowae

Explain? I'm not sure I'm getting what you mean by this. Do you man that Guild Halls should be able to be contested for control, like a PvP zone?

Like what the Blood Elf I quoted suggested. Guild battles between guilds in the guild hall, possibly to take the guild hall. That would give pvp guilds their way of getting a guild hall. For PvE, perhaps occasionally a wave of mobs that are followers of whatever the endboss was could attack the guild hall, so the PvE guild halls would have that more dynamic element to it too.
Reply Quote

This is why I want Rift and/or Star Wars to succeed. Not because I want WoW knocked off, but because I want Blizzard's "take the player base for granted" attitude to be knocked off.

Many things have been promised than the promise taken away and the playerbase is now convinced those features will never happen. Races and classes still look like a clone of each other. Every Blood Elf female is the same height, some body build as every other Bloof Elf female. Same with every other race's gender in the game. We all dress alike, we all look alike. Azeroth seems like a planet populated more of clones then individuals.

I want the appearance tab feature. Yes, I do hate what the artists did to mage t11. I'm not a Warlock. However I want to wear the Netherwind set, the T6 set, even the old low level Buccaneer set I have had for over 6 years in the hope that this feature is made sometime.

Yes, I want player housing like they promised. No, I do not want a house like I can build in the Sims. I don't want a bedroom, a kitchen or living room. What I want is a place I can display old armor sets on models of my character. A place I can display older epic weapons I earned in the game.

Isn't it rather sad we as players have to practically beg to be allowed to enjoy what we have gotten while playing the game?
Yup. And well said.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

Like what the Blood Elf I quoted suggested. Guild battles between guilds in the guild hall, possibly to take the guild hall. That would give pvp guilds their way of getting a guild hall. For PvE, perhaps occasionally a wave of mobs that are followers of whatever the endboss was could attack the guild hall, so the PvE guild halls would have that more dynamic element to it too.

The idea has merit but I think the amount of scripting that it would require is a little extreme. Blizzard is probably too cheap to buy more servers to host these on (if they did, it would hike up the price for monthly payments to keep accounts running), so the likely scenario is that they will piggyback the Guild Halls on the instance servers, which will cause their own lag issues therein. When new raids are added, instance servers usually come with their own amounts of lag and stress, so I think doing that may prove too complicated.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Iirc, Bizz has a darknet of servers from Wrath that they could use.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Do they? I really don't know, I did not pay that much attention to how many Wrath servers they had. If so, this is a possibility.

EDIT: Though the constant warfare may hinder players who do not enjoy having to protect their home Guild. This function, if incorporated, should be able to be turned off. It seems very inconvenient.
Edited by Nowae on 3/19/2011 1:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Yeah, able to turn it off. Should it be turned on, the PvE attack could have a general or somehting leading it that could have a chance to drop loot from the instance, so there is a reward for having it on. And I think they do have spare servers, because shortly before wrath, blizz said they were going to release more servers, then didnt, saying there were too many low populated ones.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I'm not really fond of the idea, although as I said it does have merit and it is interesting. I just don't think it would be best implemented in something like a Guild Hall.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Another thought would be Raid Training Halls. Let's face it- sometimes people don't have time to raid as much as they like, and nothing can be as frustrating as clearing that long line of trash only to wipe, and wipe, and WIPE against the same boss time after time. It drives up repair bills and sets one's teeth on edge. In a guild hall, however, there could be an instance portal that takes you straight to a special version of a raid boss you want to practice on. The boss would give no loot, but also not cost you downtime via a corpse run or a hefty repair bill. It'd be a great way to get guildies the much-needed practice to take down the real thing.

But wait, that's not enough you say? Alright, well how about this- the instance portal could take you to a beefed up version of a past raid boss. Did you REALLY like the Kael'thas fight, and lament slightly that he's such a chump now? What about Arthas, and the fact that he'll be two-mannable in the very recent future, apparently? No worries! Just load up the option for a 10/25 version of your favorite classic raid boss and enjoy smashing their faces while still getting a great challenge out of it! Time records could be kept, or perhaps themes for the guild hall could be achieved by accomplishing this. In any case it'd certainly be fun for raiders who enjoyed past content and would like to experience it again, and it'd also save Blizzard having to reboot an entire raid from the ground up.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I definitely like the idea of a guild hall or guild base. Ive seen something like it in the City of mmo, and I can see it being a major possibility in wow. What I liked most about their implementation of a place for a guild was that you can completely customize everything inside your own "instance" from what the style of the interior was to how large it was. But you could only go big if you had the people to gather the necessary resources within the guild to do so (bigger guild, bigger base). I think a guild reputation like currency could be implemented to be used on guild specific purchases, and could be gained by all players of the guild while using the new guild rep tabbard coming in 4.1.

Another great Idea that I loved in City of, (and I think something similar would be awesome in wow) was the fact that guilds from opposing factions could raid each others bases.

A lot of new things can be brought up with such a system and the possibilities are endless, but the thing I like the most is the thought of a place for a guild to meet in game, a place that is exclusive to guild members (and even exclusive to guild officers or selected ranks), just a place to call your own in the world where you as a guild can decide how big it is and how it looks, and and maybe even have to defend it from an opposing faction (to not let your hard work go unnoticed by your enemies). ;)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
I would like to place my stomp of approval on this, too. (And a "like" flag...)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]