What lvl dungeons can I solo at 85?

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Warrior
It's Lower Blackrock Spire that has a particular companion that I want that I just cannot seem to win (or even have groups that queue for it actually do the dungeon, they seem to prefer upper for some reason - wtw do they even queue for lower if they don't want to do it?). I won't be able to queue for it for very long and want to go back for the companion at another time. The reason I was more general in my thread topic about what level dungeon I'd be able to do is just in case I wind up in the same dilemma again with a slightly higher level dungeon and want to return later for something I missed.
Depends on the class. Some classes are built for soloing more than others. As a warrior, you should have little trouble doing anything through maybe regular or heroic Utgarde Pinnicle. That was in ilvl 333 stuff. If you still have a ways to go and end up with end game gear I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to perhaps solo some early cataclysm dungeons or Wrath raids. I know at 85 lower blackrock spire is a complete joke.

You can probably solo lower blackrock spire once you get your first Wrath of the Lich King greens at level ~68-70.
85 Tauren Druid
03/21/2011 5:40 PMPosted by Bavra
If you still have a ways to go and end up with end game gear I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to perhaps solo some early cataclysm dungeons or Wrath raids.

MMO-Champion has a video of someone soloing Yogg-Saron, Faction Champions, and Valkyrie Twins. :P I think they were on 10-man judging by the HP of the bosses.

Faction Champions took him 2 hours though.... He's probably working his way up to soloing Lich King.
90 Night Elf Rogue
I can solo level 80 heroics with this rogue currently and all the other content that comes before that. It highly depends on your class and your skill. Knowing when to use certain cooldowns will make all the difference in how far you can go.

Also not that some things cannot be soloed due to mechanics of the fight, but most things can.
03/21/2011 5:46 PMPosted by Selenic
He's probably working his way up to soloing Lich King.

I'm curious about how he'll kill the valks when they pick him up? I'm pretty sure it will never be possible to solo that guy.
90 Night Elf Warrior
I'm kinda surprised lvl 80 heroics may be soloable. Good to know :) Is there a list of dungeons by level? Perhaps a walkthrough? Just so that I can get a general idea of what to expect as I get higher lvl.
85 Human Warrior
03/21/2011 11:52 PMPosted by Pizzathehutt
I'm kinda surprised lvl 80 heroics may be soloable. Good to know :) Is there a list of dungeons by level? Perhaps a walkthrough? Just so that I can get a general idea of what to expect as I get higher lvl.

A geared level 85 has about 100k health more than a level 80, give or take.

At level 85, if you can't solo all the classic dungeons, you're doing it wrong.

In fact, even if you're not prot, full plate armor should be more than enough armor points. With 3 points in Blood Craze, you can literally pull an entire instance and not see your health bar move.

Myself, I happen to have BOTH of the companions that drop in LBRS. ;)

Caged Worg Pup Smolderweb Carrier
Edited by Pögö on 3/22/2011 1:53 AM PDT
68 Night Elf Druid
I soloed everything below Halls of lightning on my Shaman (no wrath heroics yet, but I did all of the outland ones).
85 Gnome Warrior
On my Death Knight I regularly solo Stratholme (granted, it's easier than it used to be) to try and get Rivendare's Deathcharger. I also soloed half of Molten Core on that character, but pulled in a Paladin guildie for the second half. Then a bunch more guildies for Ragnaros for the guild achievement for Molten Core.
75 Goblin Mage
I got the smolderweb spider, Hes so freaking creepy and awesome /hugz
71 Orc Hunter
I normally figure 15 levels above a dungeon to solo it completely on Hunters/Pally's. 16-20 levels for other classes. LBRS is a level 55 dungeon.

I got the Worg pup on a solo 65 Hunter. Couple of deaths and a lot of feign death to drop aggro though. The Quartermaster has a ton of health, self heals, and drops bombs that hurt a lot. On the plus side, he can be pulled out of the room by himself. I'll go back for the spider some day.
The brown phase of the puppy's color makes him look a bit like my Old Cliff Jumper combat pet so having a big and little version of him out looks neat.

As noted above, once you get some Outland gear, i will be a lot easier.
90 Troll Mage
I've only tried on my DK because there is less downtime but so far i've been able to do every Wraith dungeon I've tried (haven't tried ICC 5-mans).

But my guess is I can solo all the original LK dungeons except Occulus (no way you can 1 drake the boss) but I'm guessing I'd have problems on TOC and the ICC 5-mans

Makes me wonder what happens in OK during insanity if there is no one to kill? Just get to dps the boss down w/o that mechanic?
Edited by Jåy on 3/22/2011 10:36 AM PDT
So far I have tried soloing with this rogue all BC heroics and Kara. Going to try someday Wrath heroics.
85 Draenei Paladin
In general (some exceptions, due to dungeon boss fight mechanics) :

1.) You should be able to solo any 5-man designed for 10 levels and below you regardless of class, spec and (within reason) gear.

2.) You should be able to solo any 5-man designed for 80 and below, as an 85 in beginning Cata raid gear, regardless of class.

To cut it any closer than that, you have to start adding a lot of "ifs," "ands," "excepts," and "buts."
Edited by Oxx on 3/22/2011 11:47 AM PDT
90 Human Death Knight
I have soloed plenty of dungeons on this toon, but nothing above a few BC heroics. And no, this does not include raids.

There are some dungeons I had to skip, it was because it was locked and I lacked the key to get in (Scholomance I believe was one of those).

Now someone could say Dk's can solo more, it is just because of how I play I know unless I had help I wouldn't make it too far into any of the raids or higher up dungeons. Not for a lack of trying, but just because there are some things I will never solo.

85 Tauren Druid
03/21/2011 8:22 PMPosted by Blödhgarm
I'm curious about how he'll kill the valks when they pick him up? I'm pretty sure it will never be possible to solo that guy.

Valkyries won't pick up the tank (or well, the person that has aggro on the LK).
85 Draenei Hunter
BM Hunter here. I've been solo'ing Utgarde Pinnacle on heroic almost daily for about a week now. First few times I tried it, to farm for Skadi's drake, were a disaster. My fighting technique was awful and I suspect my equipment just wasn't up to the task. Mostly it was me though -- I was too used to easy PvE.

Then I started playing Tol Barad regularly, and upgraded to most of a set of the PvP gear, plus got the commendation-bought polearm. The other thing that happened in doing the Tol Barad PvP battles is I got a lot better at fighting. I learned the importance of disengage, of really watching my pet's health, and the strategic placement of traps. (In terms of pet, I'm using a Spirit beast most of the time for PvE -- the heals are very helpful. For PvP, I favor a Shale Spider, but have been known to use a Slithid or my Gondria, as mood strikes. In truth, since Cata, the differences between pets seems to be mainly whatever extras they have; DPS-wise, they're pretty close. Spirit Beast = a bit more damage & speed, plus the heals; Shale Spider = Tenacity (so high health), 5% stats boost, plus 3-second stun webbing.)

A couple UtgardeP tips for Hunters: Berserkers cast fear. The Seers heal. The Shamans can too, but mostly they don't. Necromancers summon skellies, which can be bothersome. I tended to focus on the healers and the Necros, to keep from getting overwhelmed. Watch your pet's health. I'm an engineer, so I also have a Cardboard Assassin, in case I get too many adds. Failing that, there's always Feign Death.

When Svala Sorrowgrave stuns and pins you with her summoned alts, you can't do anything -- but you can direct your pet to kill them. They are easy to kill. Once they're dead, you're free again to fight Svala. She's actually one of the easier kills.

Gortok Palehoof: The only trouble there is the lack of downtime. I used snake traps to clean up the worms dropped by one of the suspended-animation critters in there. But otherwise it's a straightforward fight. Four moderately tough beasts, one at a time (and in random order), then Gortok. Main thing to watch for with Gortok is his poison -- for this, a spirit beast's heal can be a lifesaver. I even use a macro to have my spirit beast heal me, then reacquire his original target.

Fighting Skadi: Stick to the sides of the gauntlet (so the dragon breath can't get you) and work your way down to the end as quickly as possible. Note that the extra spawns won't stop until you have dismounted Skadi. 3-4 collected harpoons are enough to make it happen, provided the launcher is pointed right at him as you're shooting it. When Skadi starts doing the spinny thing, use Disengage to jump away otherwise he'll cut you to shreds; a frost trap can slow him down. Otherwise, I just use Kill Command, Sting, Cobra (over and over), and Arcane. Use the entire gauntlet hall to kite him if necessary.

After that, just a bunch of trash mobs for a while. Use traps to control the larger groups, and watch for the wanderers. Again, I favor hitting the Necros first, then the Shamans, then the berserkers. My cat can keep himself alive long enough even if I get feared.

King Ymiron: Have Tranquilizing shot in your rotation to help dispel his Bane, and otherwise just focus on him. Ignore summoned minions as they'll disappear as soon as he switches boats (that's the time to hit the Tranq shot, too). Bestial Wrath can break his fear, but you'll only have time to really use it just once, twice at the very most. Keep up the shooting, and he'll go down. My personal best was 2 boats, but usually he gets to 3, sometimes 4 before I'm done with him.

Once done, look to your right -- a gate will have opened and there's a shortcut out of the dungeon, past the quest-giving NPC. The loot isn't bad -- mostly it's soulbound stuff way below my level, but we now have plenty of Frozen Orbs, and I end up well on the plus side in terms of stuff to sell -- and if you wear a tabard, like I've been doing with Wyrmrest, you can get a shade under 3k reputation per dungeon sweep.

Post-edit postscript: If you do this dungeon on heroic with another L85 friend? Ridiculously easy. My also-Hunter guildmate and I ripped through the whole thing in about 15 minutes. But no, I still haven't landed Skadi's drake.
Edited by Landrynn on 3/26/2011 12:02 AM PDT
90 Human Death Knight
BM Hunter here. I've been solo'ing Utgarde Pinnacle on heroic almost daily for about a week now. First few times I tried it, to farm for Skadi's drake, were a disaster. My fighting technique was awful and I suspect my equipment just wasn't up to the task. Mostly it was me though -- I was too used to easy PvE.

Then I started playing Tol Barad regularly, and upgraded to most of a set of the PvP gear, plus got the commendation-bought polearm. The other thing that happened in doing the Tol Barad PvP battles is I got a lot better at fighting. I learned the importance of disengage, of really watching my pet's health, and the strategic placement of traps. (In terms of pet, I'm using a Spirit beast most of the time for PvE -- the heals are very helpful. For PvP, I favor a Shale Spider, but have been known to use a Slithid or my Gondria, as mood strikes. In truth, since Cata, the differences between pets seems to be mainly whatever extras they have; DPS-wise, they're pretty close. Spirit Beast = a bit more damage & speed, plus the heals; Shale Spider = 5% stats boost, plus 3-second stun webbing.)

A couple UtgardeP tips: Berserkers cast fear. The Seers heal. The Shamans can too, but mostly they don't. Necromancers summon skellies, which can be bothersome. I tended to focus on the healers and the Necros, to keep from getting overwhelmed. Watch your pet's health. I'm an engineer, so I also have a Cardboard Assassin, in case I get too many adds. Failing that, there's always Feign Death.

When Svala Sorrograve stuns and pins you with her summoned alts, you can't do anything -- but you can direct your pet to kill them. They are easy to kill. Once they're dead, you're free again to fight Svala. She's actually one of the easier kills.

Gortok Palehoof: The only trouble there is the lack of downtime. I used snake traps to clean up the worms dropped by one of the suspended-animation critters in there. But otherwise it's a straightforward fight. Four moderately tough beasts, then Gortok. Main thing to watch for with Gortok is his poison -- for this, a spirit beast's heal can be a lifesaver. I even use a macro to have my spirit beast heal me, then reacquire his original target.

Fighting Skadi: Stick to the sides of the gauntlet (so the dragon breath can't get you) and work your way down to the end as quickly as possible. Note that the extra spawns won't stop until you have dismounted Skadi. 3-4 collected harpoons are enough to make it happen, provided the launcher is pointed right at him as you're shooting it. When Skadi starts doing the spinny thing, use Disengage to jump away otherwise he'll cut you to shreds; a frost trap can slow him down. Otherwise, I just use Kill Command, Sting, Cobra (over and over), and Arcane. Use the entire gauntlet hall to kite him if necessary.

After that, just a bunch of trash mobs for a while. Use traps to control the larger groups, and watch for the wanderers. Again, I favor hitting the Necros first, then the Shamans, then the berserkers. My cat can keep himself alive long enough even if I get feared.

King Ymiron: Have Tranquilizing shot in your rotation to help dispel his Bane, and otherwise just focus on him. Ignore summoned minions as they'll disappear as soon as he switches boats (that's the time to hit the Tranq shot, too). Bestial Wrath can break his fear, but you'll only have time to really use it just once, twice at the very most. Keep up the shooting, and he'll go down. My personal best was 2 boats, but usually he gets to 3, sometimes 4 before I'm done with him.

Once done, look to your right -- a gate will have opened and there's a shortcut out of the dungeon, past the quest-giving NPC. The loot isn't bad -- mostly it's soulbound stuff way below my level, but we now have plenty of Frozen Orbs, and I end up well on the plus side in terms of stuff to sell -- and if you wear a tabard, like I've been doing with Wyrmrest, you can get a shade under 3k reputation per dungeon sweep.

This got me wanting to try some of the lower ranked wotlk dungeons (maybe not on heroic right off the bat) on my dk. Though I am gonna have to finish my tanking set for certain fights.
85 Troll Priest
Hmm i really like that blue proto-drake, think it would be okay to solo as a priest ?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]