WTH Heavy Hide?!

85 Undead Rogue
So I decided since my skinn is maxed out, why not get my LW maxed as well? And screw wasting gold on the AH, I'm just farming what I need, problem is, I look on WowHead to find where to farm heavy Hide, and damn near everywhere they say is out dated, either they took the mobs out during Cata, or bumped the level up so they drop Rugged hide and such.

What I'm asking is... Where do I find my Heavy hide now? ><
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/4235#source=skinnedFromCreatures
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
aus
03/22/2011 2:18 PMPosted by Claugeorie
So I decided since my skinn is maxed out, why not get my LW maxed as well? And screw wasting gold on the AH

A number of professions are designed around the AH, a lw at a certain point needs a lot! of heavy hide, skinners aqquire heavy hide gradually over a long time period. Of course then you have people who try and control a market and make a mess of that theory
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I originally had skinning myself and decided to farm all the mats aswell i did come into some trouble around the same area as you but using these two links i found the rest very very easy.

You find that apart from the ridiculous amount of borean leather needed (quite easy to farm though) the Heavy and rugged leather stages as the most farmy.

LW Guide i used and this website i presume everyone knows about but if you dont it is awesome i have used it for all my proffessions, which is most of them:
http://www.wow-professions.com/wowguides/wow-leatherworking-guide.html

and the skinning locations/farming guide:
http://www.wow-professions.com/wowguides/wow-leather-farming-guide.html

sorry dont know how to make proper hyperlinks^^^ copy paste is your friend
Edited by Treelos on 3/22/2011 6:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Something that Blizzard has totally neutered is the ability to farm hides.

Take a look at the Crag Coyote.
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=2727

Used to get a medium hide 16% of the time from these guys pre-cata. Now they're gone and the best percentage you can get on ANY hide is 5%.
Edited by Rastaban on 3/22/2011 6:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
a guild mate found a way to level without hides, I honestly don't remember how he did it, he explained it to me, but I think it cost him a few more heavy leather (which since he was high level like you are, though not as high, it was easy enough for him to farm)

(there is no range where heavy hides is required to gain a point, or where all your orange patterns will have heavy hides in them)

that was our guildies solution.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
So I decided since my skinn is maxed out, why not get my LW maxed as well? And screw wasting gold on the AH, I'm just farming what I need, problem is, I look on WowHead to find where to farm heavy Hide, and damn near everywhere they say is out dated, either they took the mobs out during Cata, or bumped the level up so they drop Rugged hide and such.

So...don't use hide?

I'm sure there are other patterns you can make which don't require hide. It would be different if you were leveling up (your level, not LW skill) and you needed it for a big gear upgrade, but you're just grinding out the skill. Find a pattern that requires a few more easily acquired leather instead of the not-so-easily acquired hide, and problem solved.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
You're at skill 170.

This is Wowhead's complete list of Leather Working items: http://www.wowhead.com/skill=165

Try to find the pattern for [Dusky Leather Leggings], that's orange until skill 185. Unfortunately, it's drop, so you're dependent on the AH there.

If you can't find that, Pattern: Green Leather Armor is a vendor recipe (from George Candarte in Hillsbrad), and is Orange until 175.

I'm not sure what the drop rate is on Raptor Hide now, that used to be quite common, but may also be harder to obtain now. If you can still get it, then Pattern: Raptor Hide Belt (from Androd Fadran in the Arathi Highlands), and Pattern: Raptor Hide Harness (from Tunkk (Horde only) also in the Arathi Highlands) are possibilities, those are both orange to 185 as well.

Pattern: Barbaric Leggings (from Keena, Arathi Highlands) is orange to 190, but requires a Moss Agate. Moss Agates tend to be expensive, but they can be prospected from Tin Ore, so they're not as difficult to obtain if you have a friendly Jewel Crafter to help.

Once you get to skill 185, there are a variety of options which can take you to skill 210 without requiring any Hides. By 205, you can start using the basic Thick Leather patterns.

Refer back to the Wowhead list should you have any more issues. Generally, you can find a workaround in most cases.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
If you arent rich, and are tired of listening to people tell you to go to the AH for Heavy hides, farm in the Western half of Western Plaguelands, there are many Bears, Dogs, and even the Foxes there may be skinned. It is a low drop rate, but I have been getting between 3 and 5 every half hour.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
too bad the patterns you need for LW at that level require an obscene amount of Heavy leather, and often the AH doesnt have any.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
And a lot of things that would be very, very useful for leveling toons require many Heavy Hides, to the point it's far from cost effective to actually craft them.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
You don't need a single hide to level leatherworking from 1-450, just like you don't need any spider's silk to level tailoring.

Use different patterns.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yes, you can use other patterns that don't need hide. So instead of spending an hour looking for hides, you can spend 3 hours farming the extra heavy leathers you're going to need for the other patterns that require 2-3x as much heavy leather. Frustrating either way.
Reply Quote

The yeti cave in feralas are your best bet but you can actually get to the next level of LW without a single hide!

03/22/2011 04:01 PMPosted by Mate
So I decided since my skinn is maxed out, why not get my LW maxed as well? And screw wasting gold on the AH

A number of professions are designed around the AH, a lw at a certain point needs a lot! of heavy hide, skinners aqquire heavy hide gradually over a long time period. Of course then you have people who try and control a market and make a mess of that theory

Where in Hades get you ever get the idea Blizzard designed professions around the AH? This isn't EQ or DAoC! There isn't a crafting profession in this game that doesn't have an associated gathering profession unless you count tailoring or enchanting which doesn't need one since they work off look drops.

Reply Quote
@Nakos Dude i love you, saved my life <3
Edited by Humus on 3/7/2012 12:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
42 Pandaren Mage
i am been there for an hour... NOT A SINGLE heavy hide... there must be mpre fun ways to do this... what about a rid that is like a real warcraft, where a cache of goods can be captured?
Reply Quote
61 Human Rogue
This is still a major pain. I am choosing to grind the Feral Scar Yetis because they drop a fair assortment of Heavy & Thick leather, as well as cloth n coin. Hides are very scarce.

I ended up in the Plaguelands. It seems like the rate was about 1 heavy hide per hour.

The guy mentioned above that sells Raptor Hide Belt pattern does not sell it anymore. In fact, I have yet to even get any Raptor Hide from raptors.
Edited by Catshadows on 1/22/2014 8:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I recently did the 1-300 LW stage for my leveling shami; as I farmed the heavy->thick->rugged stages in big chunks with my 85 druid (instant, epic flight, skin/herb as a bird), the hides seemed to drop in reasonable proportion and I don't think I ever bought any. I had some excess to sell, but not a lot, a few stacks of each leather type and a few hides. Except rugged hide, which I ended up with a stupid amount of.

I skinned in redridge->swamp of sorrows->blasted lands. Seemed to do the trick. The excess leather did sell at a good price. So not a waste a all.
Reply Quote
5 Undead Warlock

All over Strangelthorn Vale, mostly. But the drop rate isn't great. Higher in the south where the mob levels are higher.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I'm trying farming heavy hide to sell on AH, cause it quite expensive.

So I remembered that once in one of my alts i was in Razorfen Kraul, and i got 10 heavy hides in a single run. That was a lucky shot, actually, but I still think this is the best place to farm it. Just go to the boars down there and kill all of them. Luckly you'll have a "good" quantity of Heavy Hide
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]