binding a macro to a key

90 Worgen Druid
I created a macro for my starsurge but, I cant fine any way to bind that macro to one of the letter keys. I wanted to try to bind it to the letter "R" but as im looking at the key binding options I don't see a key to bind a letter to a macro.

How can one bind a macro to a letter key?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Drag the macro onto an actionbar button, then bind that button to a key. You can't directly bind macros to keys; it has to be on a button first.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Ah nice, I can also see that I can hide the bars and it can still work.

thanks
Reply Quote
03/18/2011 9:05 PMPosted by Icedragon
Drag the macro onto an actionbar button, then bind that button to a key. You can't directly bind macros to keys; it has to be on a button first.
Actually, you can bind a macro directly to a key using a bit of Lua scripting (although it's probably easier for not-quite-tech-savvy to just stick the macro on a button and bind the button).

/run SetBinding("MY-KEY-COMBO","MACRO MyMacroName")SaveBindings(2)
Bind the macro MyMacroName to the key combo My + Key + Combo and then save the currently loaded bindings to your character-specific bindings. Replace 2 with 1 to save to account-wide bindings instead.

Examples:/run SetBinding("SHIFT-CTRL-ALT-TAB","MACRO Thorns")SaveBindings(2)Binds the macro called Thorns to Shift + Ctrl + Alt + Tab and saves to character bindings.

run SetBinding("SHIFT-CTRL-5","MACRO Choon")SaveBindings(1)Binds the macro called Choon to Shift + Ctrl + 5 and saves to account bindings.
Edited by Choonster on 3/18/2011 11:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Mage
Thanks Choonster! I will have to remember that. :p
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
UGH...not tech savy and what i've tried hasn't worked.
scrubbing the deck and tried to use the /target deck stain keyed to 1 with 2 keyed to interact with target, like I saw on goggle.
anyone able to give more specific guidance?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I have tried EVERYTHING to make this work so i can figure out the rarity of critters before capturing but it won't work. copying and pasting the macro for rarity doesn't work at all. i have tried going to several sites but they all do that stupid wierd spacing on both sides, which i am afraid affects the macro.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
This is (a) an old thread; (b) an *unrelated* thread; (c) not a beginner question. Please start a new thread in the UI/Macros forum for your question.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Death Knight
how do i bind buttons to keys i need this plz answer
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
hit the escape key, select the keybind menu.

all your options are in there.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/19/2014 07:26 PMPosted by Usuk
how do i bind buttons to keys i need this plz answer

Keybinds are basically assigning keybord keys and mouse keys to specific in-game functions and action bar slots. Many game functions already have keybinds associated with them.

The main action bar buttons are default key-bound to the 1 through = buttons above your alpha keys on the keyboard. C is default bound to your character window (where you can see your gear, reputation, stats, and currencies). WASD are default to forward, left, right, and backwards, and there's about a hundred more possible things that are either keybound to something by default OR have no keybind but you can set them to something if you want to.

To change the keybinds of most anything in the game, just go to the keybinding option on the game's main menu, find the option you want to change in the gigantic list, and then click on the box next to it that has it's current keybind. Then just press the keyboard or mouse button you want to change it to. If the keyboard or mouse button you pick is already assigned to something else, you'll get a little message at the bottom of the keybind window saying "<game function> is now unbound to ____" and if that's a game function you care about, you'll have to go find it in the list and give it a new keybind (potentially unbinding something else). Keep going until everything is set up the way you want.

Oh and next time you have a question you should make your own thread in this forum and ask it there. Old threads often contain outdated information, and newbies don't usually know what info is old and what's new. It's best to start your own thread when you have questions rather than resurrect a long dead thread with bad info, that way said outdated info is not mingling with current info on the front of this forum.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
that was WAY more detail than I was willing to go into :P

(i was sort of hoping that seeing the ingame menu, helped it to explain itself!)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/19/2014 08:08 PMPosted by Nobully
that was WAY more detail than I was willing to go into :P

Yeah, I know. I do tend to over explain things sometimes, even in face-to-face conversations.

It's because I find that whenever I don't, leaving out the parts I think are self-explanatory, the person I'm talking to inevitably completely misunderstands what I'm trying to tell them. So I err on the side of saying EVERYTHING, rather than have someone not understand what I'm saying because our brains work too differently and what I think is obvious, they don't.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
03/18/2011 11:08 PMPosted by Choonster
03/18/2011 09:05 PMPosted by Icedragon
Actually, you can bind a macro directly to a key using a bit of Lua scripting (although it's probably easier for not-quite-tech-savvy to just stick the macro on a button and bind the button).

/run SetBinding("MY-KEY-COMBO","MACRO MyMacroName")SaveBindings(2)
Bind the macro MyMacroName to the key combo My + Key + Combo and then save the currently loaded bindings to your character-specific bindings. Replace 2 with 1 to save to account-wide bindings instead.

Examples:/run SetBinding("SHIFT-CTRL-ALT-TAB","MACRO Thorns")SaveBindings(2)Binds the macro called Thorns to Shift + Ctrl + Alt + Tab and saves to character bindings.

run SetBinding("SHIFT-CTRL-5","MACRO Choon")SaveBindings(1)Binds the macro called Choon to Shift + Ctrl + 5 and saves to account bindings.

I was able to use this example today successfully in binding a macro to SHIFT-D without needing to place the macro on my toolbars. The only problem is I have no idea how to completely undo it. For this reason in long term usage the coding example is incomplete.

I searched further and discovered that there is an ADDON that must be doing this lua code behind the scences. I recommend going to CURSE and downloading the addon named Bindpad. Bindpad has oodles of extra keybinding power like the one demonstrated in this code plus the ability to easily reverse the binding, doing it all via a relatively painless GUI.
Edited by Keching on 12/20/2014 3:43 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]