The Oceanic community demands closer servers.

85 Draenei Shaman
They don't have to be located in Australia, we're willing to settle for Hawaii.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Argument has been going for nearly a decade. Blizzard just doesn't care about us. Simple as that.

Ultima Online moved their Aussie "shard" to the US and after a couple of days of pure outcry, they admitted that it is a little tricky to find a host in Australia, but they put in some effort and now the server is back.

So what's Blizzard's multi-million dollar excuse?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
They like money. I am certain if they went to a strip club and were able to throw naked women at money they would.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
the current "oceanic solution" was a comprimise after we had been told that we would never recieve our own servers and that there werent enough of us to warrant the expense.

It turned out there were a hell of a lot more of us than they thought but...

Are there enough of us to warrant the expense. This is a tough question as our exact numbers are tough to gauge, the true expense is probrably unknown but quite significant.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I get all excited thinking about what it would be like to have WoW servers based in Australia... But then i snap out of my dream and realise it's never going to happen.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
As mentioned in another thread, Australia just doesn't have the hardware to make it cost effective. Here's how blizzard works it out. If the dollars lost from people cancelling their account for a lack of oceanic servers is greater than the cost, you'll have aussie servers next week. Unfortunately, enough people aren't cancelling their account and so blizzard rake in the bucks with the status quo
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
04/02/2011 06:28 PMPosted by Hippolaitus
As mentioned in another thread, Australia just doesn't have the hardware to make it cost effective. Here's how blizzard works it out. If the dollars lost from people cancelling their account for a lack of oceanic servers is greater than the cost, you'll have aussie servers next week. Unfortunately, enough people aren't cancelling their account and so blizzard rake in the bucks with the status quo

I like how you didn't read the first two posts in the thread.

Servers in Australia are unrealistic, yes, since East AUS isn't even central to SEA/Oceania

Servers in Singapore or another asian country? Bit of a different story.
Edited by Gunba on 4/3/2011 12:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
It's not just about the hardware. Blizzard would be responsible for maintaining those servers, meaning that they effectively need to make a Blizzard Australia office. But it all comes down to the fact that Blizzard would have to deal with Telstra, and Telstra hate gamers and refuse to come to an agreement with Blizzard because they both love money way to much.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/03/2011 06:15 AMPosted by Reccon
It's not just about the hardware. Blizzard would be responsible for maintaining those servers, meaning that they effectively need to make a Blizzard Australia office. But it all comes down to the fact that Blizzard would have to deal with Telstra, and Telstra hate gamers and refuse to come to an agreement with Blizzard because they both love money way to much.

Why not Singapore then? Blizzard are there. That's why we have an Oceania setup for StarCraft and most likely will for Diablo...

In other news a near 15 year MMO has just finished restoring an Aussie server that has been live for 11 years...
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Bump because I don't really care at all whether or not there is an Australian server in Australia.

Tonight trying to do raids, we lost over half of our raid to disconnects and a consistent WoW lag of 1500-5000ms. Pinging sites and playing other online games.. 250ms max.

Sort this stuff out, it is just becoming unplayable!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
i vote for singapore..making wowtaiwan in chinese is gay
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
I Vote for Singapore, lets face is Aus, they have a better infastructure then we do.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Whats going on with this Latency issue? We can't raid anymore because more often than not at least ONE of our raid members (who's locations are scattered around Aus and NZ) is having MAJOR lag issues - its NOT their internet providers, its ONLY lag in WoW. One day its fine the next BAM - bad lags for you. This is a major issue because so many of the raid bosses require good latency for interrupts which are adamant to getting the boss down.. Its like - to get a boss down in Australia is pure LUCK, not skills.

It IS becoming unplayable.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I reckon it's some die hard at Telstra who desperately wants Australian servers and is sabotaging the WoW connections in an attempt to convince Blizz we need servers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Bump because OMG SONNY!

-Chookz.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Bump because OMG SONNY!

-Chookz.

Awww damn Chookz is still around. How'd you know it was me? I gotta grab your Real ID sometime.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Everyone QQ'S about this and yet nothing will happen to allow us to be on par in ping as the US. We all pay for wow regardless. Dont bother to QQ anymore as it really does nothing for us in the oceanic place's. Blizzard will never make it happen, Telstra is NOT the only net provider here. In the end we all pay to play and we all put up with this situation. The only way to get any form of action going to make Blizzard to sit up and take notice is to boycott the game all together and go to another game. But people will not do that so in the end the QQing will go on as it has been and still nothing will be done. SO happy QQing over this subject yet again and happy getting nothing done to improve the situation for us in the Oceanic regions.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
There was an article awhile back where Blizzard stated very clearly that the reason why oceanic servers/setting up a server in Singapore would never happen. They are unable to transfer account and character details to a new server because the databanks are different or some sort. Unless of course,you want to accept their offer of starting a totally new account with zero toons.

I'm from Singapore and I have no issues at all regarding lag,raiding is extremely smooth thanks to lowerping and the great ISPs here.
Edited by Forswear on 4/7/2011 11:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]