Cons to buying an existing guild?

100 Human Hunter
Someone was selling a level 14 guild with 7 tabs on my server yesterday and I have been kicking myself all day for not procuring it.

I have seen them for sale in the past but buying existing guilds always has me worried that someone hacked the Guild leader, kicked everyone out sold everything in the tabs and is selling forcefully vacated the guild.

What is the worse case scenario if you did buy one that ended up being hacked and sold by the hacker?

Would Blizz just kick everyone out of the purchased guild and you loose everything you put in the tabs and as well as the gold you paid for it?

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
You might be able to research it a bit on Armoury or Wowprogress.com, or some other method.

That might tell you things like who the guild leader was.
Reply Quote
go for it you wont get in trouble
Edited by Houndermule on 3/21/2011 2:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
You might be able to research it a bit on Armoury or Wowprogress.com, or some other method.

That might tell you things like who the guild leader was.

Thats a good idea!

What else I might do the if and when I get the chance again is to put a low level alt in it and sit on it a couple weeks or even a month before I use it just in case was stolen and Blizz does come to confiscate it.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
12 Troll Shaman
do you even know what buying a guild entails?

if so why would you be worried somebody can take it back, your the gm..

While I can understand how it would be tempting for the perks and guild bank, I don't believe it's a supported transaction, meaning if you get scammed you'd be out of luck. (The Customer Support forum would be a better place to ask about that.) As well, my concern would be that there was drama with the guild that I didn't know about (like the compromised guild leader situation mentioned above), and a few days from now I'd have a note from a GM explaining how they needed to return the guild to its original leadership instead of a rank 14 guild. :p
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
That is why I would put a low level alt in there as GM for a period of time then at least I would only be gambling with my initial investment.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Kubla

Out of curiousity how much were they selling guild for?

I'm expecting more guilds to be for sale as time goes by, which means prices will be fluctuating a bit until the whole issue of guild values gets bedded down.

Two concerns though.

Why is the person selling the guild? Likely scam seems plausible.

What happened to the members? If you can contact any of the members or ex-members that might give you a heads-up.

If there was some drama you may get heat from past members, especially as they lose all their rep.
You might be able to change guild names though, not sure on that.

Good luck on your new guild.

Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
At the same time guilds do fall apart and end up as banking guilds....
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Kaosian

Agreed and that is what I think the trend will be.

Level 5+ guilds being sold as better banking guilds. More bank tabs.

Once the guild levels get higher 15+ is where it gets interesting, I would expect the value of the guild to scale up dramatically. Rather sharply so in the 20+ range.

Be interesting to see how it plays out and what issues arise.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Pugmaster

A level 5 guild with 7 bank tabs has spent near enough to 20k just for the bank tabs.

Then there is the time to get the guild to that level.

The guild name may even have some panache.

There is a very real value to a guild.

One can only imagine what a level 25 guild would go for. I imagine it would be in real dollars and in the area of $500.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Buying and selling guilds is going to become more common.

Its going to be a direct result of the current way guild levels and such are done.

It could even be common for the Chinese Gold Farming syndicate/or regular players in need of gold to level a guild to 25, if they bothered, then sell it for as much gold as possible.

Think how much a level 25 guild might sell for.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
It could be the following situation.

GM quits game for rift, leaves someone else in charge. As time passes, that person may move, soon, without leadership the guild slowly dies.

Whoever happened to sit last in the Musical GM chair sees an opportunity to profit, and because they may have not been present for the original transfer, and the orders given in that original transfer may not have been relayed, they have no qualms selling the guild.

Sounds Legit to me. Ethical is another matter entirely.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
03/21/2011 3:43 PMPosted by Kybeorie
It could even be common for the Chinese Gold Farming syndicate/or regular players in need of gold to level a guild to 25, if they bothered, then sell it for as much gold as possible.

That sounds like a pretty smart idea, now all blizz needs to do is offer guild name changes for 40bucks and everyone wins.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Haevn

Nothing ethical, it's just business.

Time is money friend.

I'm wondering how to work out what the first level 25 will go for. I suspect my earlier guess of $500 is low.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]