The next possible playable race

1 Dwarf Warrior
I agree, I am fine with the playable races right now. but I would LOVE if they can some how work out making faeries and also Ethereals playable...ethereals are damn fierce

Actually I thought of an idea that the Alliance could get Ethereals while the horde got voidwalker like humanoids both with the knowledge of traveling through space and the void to help getting to argus or wherever Alleria and her pally hubby are.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
No Unicorns... please

Well, the unicorn was the crest in lore.

I actually wouldn't mind the Quel'dorei Steed either, which is basically a unicorn, if it were updated to the quality of mounts found in Cata/Mists.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Well, the unicorn was the crest in lore.

I actually wouldn't mind the Quel'dorei Steed either, which is basically a unicorn, if it were updated to the quality of mounts found in Cata/Mists.

Actually I take it back what do I care it would be an Alliance mount anyways.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
I don't want a new playable race. Rather I want variations on the races we already have. In the character create screen you have a tab on a race to go into different ethnicity of it.

They would start at the original races starting area and say you were shipped here from wherever to serve the Horde start to reconnect with your cousins. Maybe they would have a couple of unique quests pertaining to their race but nothing major.

Trolls - Forest Troll
Orc - Mag'har Orc
Undead - Maybe just a less boney UD model, UD dwarves, UD Orcs if not the Dark Ranger models.
BE - Have no good one for his I would say HE but they hate the Horde, Undead BE (Like dark rangers or blood princes)
Goblins - Also have no good ones for this.
Tauren - Taunka.. maybe even Yaungol

Humans - Kul Tiras humans they can have the models the Defias use, like a skinny lanky human
Dwarves - Wildhammer or Dark Iron dwarves
Night Elves - Highborne Night elves as a reskinned BE model
Gnomes - Don't have a good one maybe Leper Gnomes? or Sand Gnomes haha jk
Draenei - Broken Draenei like Akama
Worgen - Don't have a good one maybe the Original Worgen models, Worgen from all over come rejoin the pack and pledge alliegance to Gilneas.

I left out Pandaren because well.... they're pandas...

I actually like this idea, I've wanted my orc to be brown for a while now and some of the other ideas sound good too, but have an exception: instead of Broken Draenei for Alliance and High Elves for Horde I think it would be cool if they switched it around and Alliance got High Elves and Horde got... EREDAR! But I think that would be more difficult. For Goblins, they could throw in Gilgoblins? Or maybe Hobgoblins, or even Pygmies!
Not sure about Pandaren, I'd say add regular brown, black and polar fur colors but then they might be too much like Furbolgs.

@Armitage, I think Ogres would be able to be priests, there were Ogre Priests in Warcraft III supposedly. And I wouldn't mind Unicorns for High Elves, sound very fitting. I would love to see pretty much every mythological creature in WoW.

Also, I thought I'd throw in what I'd like to see for the Harpy:

Harpy
Faction: Both (like Pandaren), or Alliance.
Classes: Warrior, Hunter, Rogue, Mage, Shaman, Priest, Death Knight (?), Warlock (?), Druid (?)
Racial leader: Aviana! Or a new Harpy Queen/matriarch.

Harpies would be the first female-only playable race, they'd have a running wild type of flying mount racial when they hit 60 where they extend their wings to fly, and they would have customizable faces, skin tones, hairstyles, hair/feather color combos, and piercing/face-paint combos. To balance the inequality in gender ratio, they could make Ethereal playable and all male.
Edited by Tawna on 4/14/2013 11:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
we need more classes not races
Reply Quote
we need more classes not races
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
One thing I feel like people need to think about when thinking of hypothetical possibilities for new races is "Would someone of this race be an adventurer?". Can you imagine someone of this race suiting up and setting out into the world on their own, now can you imagine many of them deciding to do it?

Are the individual members of the race intelligent enough to be an independent adventurer going around the world aiding people of various races with their problems? Something all the current playable races have in common is that we can, for the most part, expect them to possess mental capabilities similar to humans with varying degrees.

These are the kind of concepts that lead to me to finding the idea of races such as Ogres being playable kinda silly. It's not just about size or simply being sentient, these people are going to be running about all over world, becoming Alchemists, Engineers, Enchanters and generally doing things entirely on their own.

And on the topic of Ogres, I know that there are intelligent (mostly two headed caster-type) Ogres, but they can hardly be said to be representative of much of the race. This is in addition to not really being able to fit into the "adventurer" archetype.
Edited by Hexlend on 4/16/2013 4:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
One thing I feel like people need to think about when thinking of hypothetical possibilities for new races is "Would someone of this race be an adventurer?". Can you imagine someone of this race suiting up and setting out into the world on their own, now can you imagine many of them deciding to do it?

Are the individual members of the race intelligent enough to be an independent adventurer going around the world aiding people of various races with their problems? Something all the current playable races have in common is that we can, for the most part, expect them to possess mental capabilities similar to humans with varying degrees.

These are the kind of concepts that lead to me to finding the idea of races such as Ogres being playable kinda silly. It's not just about size or simply being sentient, these people are going to be running about all over world, becoming Alchemists, Engineers, Enchanters and generally doing things entirely on their own.

And on the topic of Ogres, I know that there are intelligent (mostly two headed caster-type) Ogres, but they can hardly be said to be representative of much of the race. This is in addition to not really being able to fit into the "adventurer" archetype.

What about Worgen? They do NOT seem like the adventurer type. Ogres aren't too stupid to be adventurers. And I think, on average, Ogres are the same height as Tauren.

And why can't we have more races and classes, like MoP did?
Edited by Tawna on 4/17/2013 1:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Alliance will never get high elves, because it would unbalance the factions. Blood elves are the reason Horde and Alliance are currently balanced. Though, given the extreme Horde bias these days, I almost wonder if that's not really an issue anymore.

Still, high elves are a very boring choice. At the very least, I'd prefer half-elves over high elves. My personal preference, though, would be Vrykul for an Alliance race, and ogres for a Horde race. Though, naga (potentially on either side) would also be interesting.

I don't think we need a new race for a while, though.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

What about Worgen? They do NOT seem like the adventurer type. Ogres aren't too stupid to be adventurers. And I think, on average, Ogres are the same height as Tauren.

The current way Worgen are, I would argue that they plenty fit the potential to be adventurers. They're basically humans (with all the intellect and basic social skills that come with that), just even better adapted for life outdoors, which is where adventuring tends to take place. And I would argue that a large portion of Ogres are pretty stupid (many can't form proper sentences), the playable faction would have to be a pretty above average group to be taken seriously.
Edited by Hexlend on 4/18/2013 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter

The current way Worgen are, I would argue that they plenty fit the potential to be adventurers. They're basically humans (with all the intellect and basic social skills that come with that), just even better adapted for life outdoors, which is where adventuring tends to take place. And I would argue that a large portion of Ogres are pretty stupid (many can't form proper sentences), the playable faction would have to be a pretty above average group to be taken seriously.

But they changed Worgen to be like that, before Cataclysm came out Worgen were just crazy werewolves killing people in SFK and did not sound like adventurers at all. They could do something similar with Ogres' intelligence for them to be playable, and they would need even less tweaking than the Worgen's savageness.
Edited by Tawna on 4/19/2013 12:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
73 Worgen Rogue
I hope we don't get anymore. Blizzard already has issues creating stories and involving the races we have in current events, mixing in more would just muddy the water even more.

I'd prefer they just keep creating lore for the existing races.
Reply Quote

Why do people think harpies would be on the Horde? We hate them, they hate us, they have no hands, they're BORING

Well, they do have hands.. and hate doesn't make a difference. No one but the Blood Elves like the Forsaken, Trolls don't like Blood Elves very much, Orcs tend to be prejudice, Goblins don't give a !@#$ about anyone else, and Taurens hardly fit in the loop because of how much more peaceful their race is compared to the others. Pandaren are feeling it was a mistake joining the Horde.. so, yeah. The Horde just put up with each other. Rents too expensive and everyone has to deal with each other and help out because they're screwed on their own.

Not that I'm defending Harpies. They'd make for a terrible Race addition to either side.

Now, my own opinion on the matter:
They can add a new class if they want, but I don't want another race. Blizzard needs to create more lore for other races that haven't had much of anything since they came out. *cough*dreaneiandbloodelves *cough*. Pandaren lore is pretty sparse itself, if you were to ask me. Of course, this will probably never happen, as the greater population of players would prefer a new class/race over more lore.
Edited by Sameille on 4/20/2013 2:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Aww, but I really like Harpies :( They're definitely not boring to me, they're one of my favorite races in the Warcraft universe. And I think Harpies could be either Horde or Alliance. Horde because they're savage and brutal like the Horde, but they could also go the elegant, graceful route and join the Alliance through Night Elves, Druids, Aviana ect.
But to me, an all-female savage, crazy, sexy, brutal bird race sounds cool :D

Pandaren have a ton of lore, if a whole expansion revolving around one race isn't enough lore then none of them will ever have enough lore.

I do agree that a lot of the races are low on lore but I don't think the problem is that there are too many races, I think the problem is that it's always about Orcs and Humans. They need to split the content for each of the races instead of having Garrosh and his Orcs against Varian and his Humans every time... well, in my opinion anyways. And blood elves aren't that far below the other races in lore (but draenei kind of are).

There are tons of non-playable races with not that much lore, what would be the harm in them being playable? It's either give them a crap load of lore or it's not worth making them playable at all? Is it that much worse?
And it would get boring being stuck with no new races...
Edited by Tawna on 4/22/2013 9:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Players have been asking a lot for High Elves and 5.2 really gave them a spotlight... They are an important part of the Alliance but you can't play them... It might change.

The big problem here would be balance... You can just give a brand new race to the Horde because Alliance players would think they are being cheated to just have a reskin... And you can't just leave the Horde without a new race...
A solution would be to share an Alliance race, but none right now would fit the horde...

It's tuf.
It's reasonable to give High Elves to the alliance, but they just can't make it due to balance.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Players have been asking a lot for High Elves and 5.2 really gave them a spotlight... They are an important part of the Alliance but you can't play them... It might change.

The big problem here would be balance... You can just give a brand new race to the Horde because Alliance players would think they are being cheated to just have a reskin... And you can't just leave the Horde without a new race...
A solution would be to share an Alliance race, but none right now would fit the horde...

It's tuf.
It's reasonable to give High Elves to the alliance, but they just can't make it due to balance.

Eredar for Horde!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Eredar for Horde!

Draenei are Eredar so they are already in the game. Also if you're talking about the Man'ari Eredar then good luck. I doubt the Horde would want to bring Demons into their ranks after being redeemed from them.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
04/22/2013 10:08 PMPosted by Khorax

There's nothing that says Worgen have to be humans or night elves. A Horde Worgen could just as easily be a base Troll or something (I almost said Tauren, but that idea is just too stupid)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I would like to see greater variety in existing races, like ice troll or iron dwarfs.

New races i like the idea of furbolgs, naga and a dragon race. I always thought the odd ball not so human races in MMO's were the best... besides elves that is. But they were always those most complicated to design.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
04/27/2013 01:34 AMPosted by Seiryu

There's nothing that says Worgen have to be humans or night elves. A Horde Worgen could just as easily be a base Troll or something (I almost said Tauren, but that idea is just too stupid)

There is a worgen out in Stonetalon that makes mention of the "curse" not working on other races (whether or not its true could be debatable but not much reason to doubt the source imo). That being said, it wouldn't be difficult to believe that a group of ferals would willingly side with someone other than the alliance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]