Guild Transfer & Guild Rename Services Coming

85 Troll Mage
03/23/2011 9:11 AMPosted by Spinnerdh
I am assuming both renaming the guild and relocating it will have a cost?

HAHAHAHA since when has Bli$$ard done anything for free?
90 Night Elf Druid
No doubt there will be a fee for this. Yet another way for Blizzard to get more money out of us.
I for one will NOT be moving any guilds that any of my alts are a guild leader of.
90 Human Paladin
Now if there is a mass guild xfer cost reduction....

25 (+ standby and non raiding members) * $25 is a lot of green, something like a packaged deal perhaps?

Oh you silly fool, you think they'd give us a discount on anything these days? Maybe if Blizzard was still a happy little kid it once was, being the sibling of Sierra that gave us the wonderful puzzle game series of Kings Quest and Doctor Brain.
That is however not the situation. Blizzard is now a sad adult with all its childhood dreams shattered sitting in a cubicle fearing the voice of his boss, the CEO of Activision. Now Blizzard's job is not to sit at the table playing D&D with his friends between school classes, but instead to call people all day from cubeville convincing them they need to take out morgages with adjustible rates or buying timeshares that they cannot afford.

In the simplest sense, of it, they are not likely to give a "guild transfer special rate" because Activision would see that as a loss of money, especially when you do have people with multiple characters in one guild they may want to keep in that guild. Certainly, it would be a happy surprise to everyone if such a special transfer package was an option, especially if they used a sliding bar based on guild size, making that guild of 5 or 10 people that always alienate themselves from the community of every server pay full rate for their transfer, but that guild of 300+ characters with at least 100 players between them getting a substancial discount since Blizzard will bring in a nice lump sum from their transfer anways. Again, this is unlikely to happen because even if the decision was made by Blizzard to have such a rate, Activision's CEO would likely roll up with his "I'd charge double to triple on every gaming thing if I could" attitude and do his best to make sure such a special rate wouldn't arise.

That said though, I do like the store-pets and am glad they gave it as account wide rather than a silly "pay $10 for each character you want to have it." Also, I find all these faction transfers really more cater to people that would rather spend money than roll a new character anyways, which is almost silly with how easy it is to level these days. Without assistance or heirlooms you can level a character to 70 with all professions and have enough gold to buy all but the expensive flights as long as you have the good sense not to buy all your gear and mats from the auctions house.

I'm not saying it's not good business to make the transfers cost, or steep enough that players have to think about it rather than a $1 transfer that has people hopping across servers to no end. A guild transfer system is certainly their next step since guilds are a more important part of the game from bonuses, but I just think we'll never see any discount or deal on transfers associated with it.
90 Human Priest
Without some kind of price break for people to be able to move their alts as well for a reasonable price, I don't think I could afford to switch servers with a guild. Hopefully that will be addressed.

Along with the concern about GM ninja xfers.
85 Troll Druid
I like this idea.
85 Tauren Shaman
I have not seen it mentioned yet, but would a service like this possibly include a Guild Merge/Absortion feature? With things like Guild achievements, rank/experience, etc. It would be very nice for two GMs to initiate a "Guild Trade" whereby members could switch from spot to spot.
1 Night Elf Rogue
No doubt there will be a fee for this. Yet another way for Blizzard to get more money out of us.
I for one will NOT be moving any guilds that any of my alts are a guild leader of.

Oh noes a business trying to make profits (big shock) with a service you aren't even going to use!

As usual this is another case of the WOW community who loves to complain about EVERYTHING, like optional services they aren't even going to use.

Without some kind of price break for people to be able to move their alts as well for a reasonable price, I don't think I could afford to switch servers with a guild. Hopefully that will be addressed.

Along with the concern about GM ninja xfers.

If you actually had a malicious GM they could just ninja the guild bank because they have full control over it anyway and then proceed to transfer and rename. This new guild transfer doesn't really give them any major new reasons to do such a thing.

Lastly, and more importantly, they also stated that the feature is still in development and requires more tweaking and testing before it's ready. So lets not jump to conclusions before blizzard officially releases all the details about it.
Edited by Casdon on 3/23/2011 8:53 PM PDT
61 Tauren Druid
03/23/2011 8:18 PMPosted by Zared
because Activision would see that as a loss of money

Because Activision actually has 100% say in what Blizzard, as it's own company, does.

People seem to forget that Activision and Blizzard did not become "Activision". They became Activision-Blizzard, under Vivendi. The company Activision still exists, just like the company Blizzard still exists.

Stop hanging on this poor, misinformed message that Blizzard became anything less when Vivendi became the major stockholder.

I'm now a sad adult with all my childhood dreams shattered sitting in a cubicle fearing the voice of my boss, who's annual salary doubled still doesn't equal a fraction of what Blizzard's CEO makes in a week.

fixt

85 Night Elf Hunter
Woo! That will make Blizz lots of money : )

fixed
100 Draenei Shaman
I'm hoping while they're looking at new guild mechanics they'll look at the possibility of guild merges as well. With the current system, when two guilds "merge", one of the two groups has to leave and start their rep from scratch in the other guild. It'd be great if merges could be more even. And merges of small guilds do happen a lot, just so they can remain viable.
Say a GM decides to server transfer his/her guild. Maybe its set up to where for the 24hours after the server transfer is requested each member upon signing in will be notified via automated message that a guild transfer is pending.

With the new guild rep system, there is a possibility(though FAR from likely) that a system could be set up where members above a certain rank would have some sort of say in these matters. Now looking at the situation above, it is conceivable that an option to vote against the transfer would be available to those of a set rank. If enough members (over half at or above that rank?) veto the transfer it will not go through, no charges applied.

This system could be used for other things such as changing guild leaders, removing high rep ranked members etc.
30 Blood Elf Paladin
I've got a feeling this will not get a lot of hits. I'm sure there are more important things they can be spending time/resources on. I do not approve.
90 Troll Priest
I can't say I'm surprised by this, but it is definitely going to introduce more problems than it solves. Buying a level 25 guild is gonna look a whole lot more attractive if you can rename it and move it to your server.
71 Night Elf Warrior
What about the economy issues of transferring a guild bank? The bank should not be transferred. It would really mess with the economy. Some people would be making huge amounts of gold. While some could have stockpiled mats and when they go to the server all the prices are super low. So all those mats they spent so many hours for so they could make a bundle are now worth nothing. So many complaints will be more complaints then that about frost mages!
100 Human Paladin
@Krangor
I was just thinking the same thing. The GB already keeps logs on who donates what so wouldn't it be possible to send all the stuff a person donated to the GB over the years throught the mail?
Please correct me if i am wrong
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]