Frost Mage Rotation

85 Human Mage

I am a nooooob 85 Frost mage
I have not found a good rotation to do high dps. I am always at the bottom when dealing damage. I always use my deep freeze when available, then I use fingers of frost and brain freeze. I guess I never know when to use my blizzard. If someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it

Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
use blizzard on lots of mobs.

frost does low damage in a pve environment, you might have to go fire if you want to compete.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
There is no rotation for frost. Keep throwing frost bolts until you can deep freeze then cast that and throw 2 ice lances. Whenever your icelance spell glows, cast it until it stops glowing (usually 2 casts only) and cast frostfire when it lights up.
Other than that, there really is no rotation. DOn't expect to do high dps damage. Frost is good on some raid encounters for example on magmaw. You can freezethe worms and aoe them down. Frost is great because it hardly uses mana but has low dps. Switch to arcane if you want higher dps.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. A lot.
Edited by Ellyngton on 3/20/2011 3:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
03/19/2011 8:15 PMPosted by Danglaygafi
There is no rotation for frost. Keep throwing frost bolts until you can deep freeze then cast that and throw 2 ice lances. Whenever your icelance spell glows, cast it until it stops glowing (usually 2 casts only) and cast frostfire when it lights up.

So this is a really good example of what Blizzard wanted to accomplish with PvE rotations in Cataclysm: you could just button-mash, like this guy is advocating, and do OK. Or, you can play the spec properly, which is going to be more complicated, and do better.

This is the optimal priority list we've been able to nail down so far in simulation:

volcanic_potion,if=buff.bloodlust.react|buff.icy_veins.react|target.time_to_die<=40
mana_gem,if=mana_deficit>12500
cold_snap,if=cooldown.deep_freeze.remains>15&cooldown.frostfire_orb.remains>30&cooldown.icy_veins.remains>30
frostfire_orb,if=target.time_to_die>=12
mirror_image,if=target.time_to_die>=25
berserking,if=buff.icy_veins.down&buff.bloodlust.down
icy_veins,if=buff.icy_veins.down&buff.bloodlust.down
deep_freeze
frostfire_bolt,if=buff.brain_freeze.react&buff.fingers_of_frost.react
ice_lance,if=buff.fingers_of_frost.stack>1
ice_lance,if=buff.fingers_of_frost.react&pet.water_elemental.cooldown.freeze.remains<gcd
mage_armor,if=(mana_pct*12)<target.time_to_die
frostbolt

The key idea here is that you keep a charge of Fingers of Frost banked so that it's ready when Deep Freeze comes off cooldown or Brain Freeze procs. You only use Ice Lance if:

1) You have two FOF charges, casting it once to bring you down to one charge
2) Pet Freeze is about to come off cooldown, in which case you burn off any FOF charges with Ice Lance, cast Freeze to bring you back up to two, and Ice Lance one more to bring it back to one
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
Phase 1) Respec to fire
Phase 2) ???
Phase 3) Profit
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
I guess I never gave frost much of a chance. I tried it out and personally didn't like it at all, but I know you just can't go wrong with fire right now. I don't really see many frost mages near the top of ANY parse on stateofdps or worldoflogs, but just like any class in any game you can make up for being underpowered with mad skills.

Good news night, apparently you have the mad skills! <3
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Frost isn't as bad as the forums make it out to be.

Lhivera, has given a good outline of what to do. The basic idea is to make maximum use of your FoF and how to assist in getting more FoF procs.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
I guess I never gave frost much of a chance. I tried it out and personally didn't like it at all, but I know you just can't go wrong with fire right now. I don't really see many frost mages near the top of ANY parse on stateofdps or worldoflogs, but just like any class in any game you can make up for being underpowered with mad skills.

Good news night, apparently you have the mad skills! <3

WoL showcases how bad Frost's scaling is, and how little "luck" plays into your total dps especially when compared to Fire. When people get BiS gear and start being able to put out record breaking numbers, an abnormal amount of hot streaks and great combustions will win every time. You, in iLevel 343 gear, may very likely see a single-target dps *increase* by going Frost if you can get the spec down well. You can't just look at top parses on WoL, and assume that in EVERY situation in EVERY level gear it's going to be equally far ahead. Scaling is not linear.
Edited by Ellyngton on 3/20/2011 7:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
71 Night Elf Druid
i am a level 72 frost mage and i do very well in every encounter. The burst dps is lower than fire or arcane but survivability is through the roof and you never have to take a break because you never run out of mana.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
You have the wrong JP chest piece the +spirit does nothing for mages, also you need to stack more +Hit you should have close to 0% miss chance on a level 88 (boss level). This will boost your dps by at least 15% or more.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Being hit capped will not even boost your DPS by maybe MAYBE 5% but that would be comparing a log with unlucky rng that missed all the time to a log that was tested below hit cap but was lucky with rng and never missed.

Like Ellyngton has stated, so much misinfo in this thread. Stat values are according-
Intellect > Hit (to cap 1741 17%) > Crit ( Shatter cap 34% raid buffed ) > Haste until 4pc T12 then > Mastery > Crit again.

After Mastery is considered Min maxing for optional 50-75 DPS but doesn't matter unless you're pushing hard mode rag in 2 weeks.

Priority System-

FFO
FoF+ Deep Freeze
Brain Freeze
FoF + Ice lance
Frostbolt.

Now go Arcane for better DPS.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]