Ask the Devs - Questions #3 "UI"

(Locked)

Community Manager
Welcome to the World of Warcraft "Ask the Devs" global Q&A. In this thread we'll be collecting questions from you to have answered by our developers. We'll be asking for your question each time a new Ask the Devs Questions thread goes up, having the community vote on them, and posting the answers we receive approximately one week later.

[Status]
LOCKED. Tallying votes, collecting questions.

Here's how this works:
  • Starting at the time this thread is made you can post your World of Warcraft question for the developers.

• When the thread hits the cap (500 posts) no more questions will be allowed.

• About a day later, we'll lock the thread, meaning no more votes will be possible.

• We'll pick out posts with the most votes, collect them with questions from the other regions, and get answers to be posted the following week.

• This process will continue on, with a new question thread going up (weather permitting) and the answers to the previous questions being posted shortly thereafter.

Rules
  • One question per post.

• If your question is answered your character name will be displayed alongside the question.

• Discussion posts are not allowed! If you don't have a question for our developers, you should not post in this thread.

• You can vote for questions at any time while the thread is unlocked.

• A highly rated post does not mean it will be answered, but we'll do our best to answer as many questions as possible.

• Down votes don't count.

Tips
  • Don't post or vote for questions you know we won't answer. We're not going to use these Q&As to announce new features, expansions, or release dates, etc. By the same token, we're not going to answer questions that touch on subjects outside of the game and its design.

• Stay on topic! We’re asking for questions regarding a specific topic, if your question isn’t on that topic it’ll probably be down-voted to obscurity by other posters, and more than likely deleted by us.

• Keep your question concise. One to three sentences should be plenty to explain background and ask a question.

• Vote for any and all questions you would like to see answered.

• All votes count. While you can't see vote #'s, we can. Even if a post is highly rated, your vote still means something to that question (potentially) being answered.
Edited by Bashiok on 3/23/2011 11:16 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Many of us were dismayed to find with Cata that we can no longer pull out individual raid frames and place them where we want on the screen. Can we please get that feature put back in?
85 Dwarf Priest
Is there a brighter future to more overall custom UI options similar to how the raid UI frames were revamped? If not, why?
90 Night Elf Priest
The trade chat channel is effectivily useless. I have had an idea of how to improve it, and make it work as intended. Open a window, and an option comes out. Something like, Sell, Trade, Buy, Profession. Select one (Sell). Then another option comes up, "What do you want to sell?" then you could click and drag the item you want to sell in a box, like the AH box, and go to the next option for how much. Click done, and set time intervil to send to trade chat, and in it you see something like

(2) Trade: [Abolita] WTS Primal Might 200g <click here to buy>
(or something to that effect).

Then if say, Bornak wanted to buy it, he could click the link, and the gold will be sent to Abolita's mail box, and Abolita will get a message saying,

Bornak has bought your Primal Might from trade chat for 200g.

Any plans to improve the Trade channel function in a similar way?
90 Blood Elf Mage
Milling and Prospecting are incredibly dull and very manual tasks at present, especially when you do them in bulk. Speaking as a scribe, the entire manufacturing process from herb to pigment to ink to glyph is both time-consuming, boring and sending me well on my way to repetitive stress wrist and index finger injuries.

Why hasn't milling and prospecting gotten a better interface, such as the smelting interface miners have? "Mill all"/"Prospect all" options akin to smelting interface would be a great help to industrious scribes and jewelcrafters.
90 Orc Warrior
Are there any plans to implement a better way to sort, select, and/or find specific macro icons?
60 Night Elf Druid
Are there any plans to turn the Raid Browser into a feature people will actually use? In its current state, whenever I try using it, I'm the only person listed. I've never heard of a raid formed as a result of using the Raid Browser.

(edited for additional info)
For example, will we ever be able to queue for battlegrounds or dungeons while using the raid browser? BGs and dungeons are exclusive with one-another because the time it takes to form either group is supposed to be roughly comparable, but raids can take hours or days to put together, and constantly being ejected from the system is not going to lead to its use.
Edited by Lorinall on 3/21/2011 4:32 PM PDT
85 Troll Shaman
Will shaman totems be getting any revamp, better AI, or a show of their range?
90 Night Elf Druid
Hello, I was wondering if there was any talk of implementing a default version of adding actual numbers to the cooldown and/or duration on spell icons. Like if I used Tranquility it would have 8M somewhere on the spell icon indicating 8 Minutes left until being usable. Or if I was targetting a tank with hots on it, spells like Lifebloom showing how much time left before it expires. Another example would be DPS with dots on your target, like a countdown until Rake expires while dpsing in Feral Cat Form.
Edited by Omnishinzui on 3/21/2011 4:31 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage
Mailbox message retrieval can be quite the chore if you're fond of listing items on the auction house. The default interface is very clunky, and addons like Postal are absolute must-haves for AH players. Are there any plans for making mass-mail retrieval easier in the default mailbox interface?
85 Human Death Knight
ONE
Do you have plans to implement a damage / healing meter into the default wow interface? You've implemented a way to monitor threat without having to download an addon... Would be very nice to have a way to monitor DPS / HPS across my group without an addon.
Edited by Terini on 3/21/2011 4:38 PM PDT
90 Human Death Knight
Will the Defualt UI ever be moveable and re-arrangeable without the use of mods.

I suppose the most obvious UI question for me.
Edited by Ruind on 3/21/2011 4:41 PM PDT
85 Worgen Warlock
When will the new Cataclysm raid markers start working nicely with other mods? As a raid leader, I've found it incredibly frustrating to constantly need to reload my UI.
60 Night Elf Druid
Are there plans to improve the Auction House interface? For example:

Making the in-game UI for the auction house look closer to the Auctioneer addon? Players with that addon have a huge advantage due to its convenience.

or

Allowing an option to sort by price per unit so we don't have to scroll through page after page of Bankerjoe's single piece of wool cloth that's listed 300 times?
Edited by Lorinall on 3/21/2011 11:57 PM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
Are there any plans to better support objective-based PvP through the default UI, e.g. countdown timers for flag caps?
85 Goblin Mage
Are there any plans to update the default UI to make it more user-friendly? Such as updating the raid frames to allow for proper raid overview and allowing bartender-like movement of your action bars. Would also be nice to have an update to the player frames, target frames, etc... to make them more user friendly and customizable.
Edited by Semune on 3/21/2011 4:39 PM PDT
85 Tauren Druid
Do encounter designers factor in the existence of "boss mods" (Big Wigs, DBM, etc.) when crafting epic encounters?

If yes, have they considered incorporating boss timers into the default UI?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]