Nefarian's fragile threat: Pick up issues

85 Night Elf Druid
I just came from an extremely frustrating series of attempts where, as a feral tank, I was unable to pick up Nefarian, resulting in several pointless wipes - and wasted elixirs.

I had been able to pick up Nefarian successfully most times in the past. We've had dozens of attempts, and have made it to phase 3. But this time, for some reason, he refused to stay on me at all.

I was taunting (growling at) Nefarian when he landed.

This is the first frustration right there. If I try to taunt him before his feet are on the ground, he ignores the taunt, resets, and goes after the healers while my Growl is on cooldown.

So I try to taunt him the second he lands. He turns to me, and starts attacking me while I start Mauling and Mangling.

Then, he just randomly turns around and kills a healer. While I'm smashing at him. While Growl is on cooldown. While I even had the benefit of Misdirect.

I think success in this encounter is, in general, too dependent on RNG. Threat issues when picking up Nefarian are part of this problem.

EDIT: Apparently this is caused by Levitate and Path of Frost abilities, which in conjunction with the fact that the whole platform is a big elevator, causes the boss to "think" that the tank is in an unattackable position. Will try again canceling Levitate tomorrow.
Edited by Elorem on 3/21/2011 10:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
He doesn't establish threat until a few seconds after his feet hit the ground. Essentially the moment he turns to someone. Put up your bleeds and taunt shortly after he targets you.

He has a bit of a landing animation that takes an attempt or two to judge the end of.
Reply Quote
9 Human Warrior
Ive seen plenty of kooky aggro activity on that fight.

Particularly at the start where Onyxia decides that a random caster potting on the pull should be her target instead of the tricksed/misdirected tank whos wailing on her.

Omen would have the tank comfortably on top and she would just spin and decide someone else looked tastier for 2 secs or so before heading back to the tank without a single dot or cast ever going off.

Buggy as hell.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Yes, his animation resets after he lands.

I've tried taunting him just after he touches down, before the landing animation ends; or after the animation ends, when he's already turning on someone.

It's worked fine in the past, but regardless which I did today, I got the described results.
Edited by Elorem on 3/21/2011 9:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
No you didn't. You taunted too early and missed a special before he killed a healer.

Once his toes hit the ground it takes about a second and a half before he's actually active in terms of threat.
Edited by Katelyn on 3/21/2011 9:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Just have people not be right on him, as soon as he targets anyone, taunt and go from there. Doing anything to him before he actually has a target is wasted threat. Getting your dots up is about the only useful thing threatwise you can do before that.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
03/21/2011 9:51 PMPosted by Katelyn
No you didn't. You taunted too early and missed a special before he killed a healer.

Feedback like this, which denies things I'm certain of, is disrespectful, rather than helpful.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
03/21/2011 9:56 PMPosted by Candarii
Just have people not be right on him, as soon as he targets anyone, taunt and go from there.

This is what we did, and he was still changing his mind a few seconds later.

If I wasn't sure we were doing things right, I wouldn't be posting.

It may be that we were still doing things wrong, even though it looked like we were doing it right. Even if so, it remains an issue for developers to look at.

Merely picking up a boss shouldn't be this much of a problem.

Groups shouldn't frequently wipe because the boss is extra tricky to pick up.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Hunter
don't use levitate if you are.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
03/21/2011 10:19 PMPosted by Mnemoniq
What did the healer actually die from? Are people trying funny business like staying on the pillar when they jump down? He will actually turn and target these players and chain-cast Shadow of Cowardice on them,

I am aware of Shadow of Cowardice, it happened to us before. One time we wiped to it because someone's Nitro Boosts malfunctioned, and they got hit by Shadow of Cowardice because they were thrown up into the air.

No one was on a pillar during these attempts.

The healer died to Nefarian. Confirmed both by Deaths information in Recount, and by observing the boss turning around.
Edited by Elorem on 3/21/2011 10:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
03/21/2011 10:22 PMPosted by Britneyfears
Because the truth hurts? It can't happen any other way. Nef is not bugged.

No, because you're trolling. Marked as such and no more responses from me to you.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
03/21/2011 10:21 PMPosted by Zarynia

Ugh!

We are in fact using Levitate. And I've been avoiding taking damage from Onyxia's Tail Lash, so Levitate is usually still on me when I'm pulling Nefarian.

Why would Levitate cause this problem?
Edited by Elorem on 3/21/2011 10:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
it definitely isn't trolling.

you just don't know how to time his landing.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
it definitely isn't trolling. you just don't know how to time his landing.

Thank you for your unhelpful contribution. You can focus on other topics now. ktxbye
Edited by Elorem on 3/21/2011 10:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Hunter

Ugh!

We are in fact using Levitate. And I've been avoiding taking damage from Onyxia's Tail Lash, so Levitate is usually still on me when I'm pulling Nefarian.

Why would Levitate cause this problem?

Because the ground is actually an elevator and at points you are out of attack range from the boss on the Z axis and levitate helps you being in an unatackable position.

At lesat from what we have noticed.

We haven't had issues with Nefarian not attacking the tank but we have had issues with Onyxia.

What we do is we use Levitate to get down then we all cancelaura it when we get to the ground. Haven't had problems with Onyxia since then

EDIT: So you can use levitate but make sure everyone clicks it off (via macro or standard ui) when they are on the ground level
Edited by Zarynia on 3/21/2011 10:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Thank you so much!

I believe this was it.

On previous nights I was regularly getting hit by Tail Lash before picking up Nefarian, losing Levitate. This night I consistently still had Levitate on me when I was picking him up.

We'll try again tomorrow, I hope this fixes the problem.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
No fall damage.

But really, who cares. There's so little raid damage at the beginning of the encounter...who cares about fall damage!

If a DK has Path of Frost glyphed (reduces fall damage) and they use that, it can also bug out the beginning of the fight, too. We had major problems with threat until we had our DK stop using that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]