Ask the Devs - Answers #2 "PvP"

85 Orc Hunter
03/22/2011 12:44 PMPosted by Mektig
so, to all the hunters complaining about the traps not "hitting 100% of the time" I propose this, Make the traps hit 100% of the time, "like they would in real life" and also, make a rogue's Ambush an instant kill "like it would be in real life" or an Aimed Shot an instant kill as well, or a warriors HUGE axe hitting you in the face an instant kill... this is a game, it's not real life, they are doing what they can to fix what they can, also... the question answers were pretty weak : /... they could have at least hit some real key questions...

Stealth rogues already break traps. Having a 100% proc would only cause a 100% proc...
85 Human Warrior
PUG
03/22/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Bashiok
With the exception of a few (kind of silly) dual Blood comps in the 2v2 bracket, we see most of the Blood DK complaints when they are Battleground flag carriers. Tanks are hard to kill – that’s their thing. When tanks do obnoxious amounts of damage in PvP in addition to high survivability, as happened in some of the Lich King seasons, that feels broken. In Cataclysm, their damage is a lot lower in PvP, but their survivability is high, which feels more appropriate. We did nerf the Glyph of Dark Succor to keep it from being abusive. We’d rather the role of tanks in PvP be as flag carriers and defenders rather than the dude chasing you around trying to kill you.[/ul]

Also, you don't see blood healilng as out of control? Why not shift some of it into mitigation? Did you not see the solo yogg, twins, faction champs videos where there was insane healing and damage that a prot warrior, prot paladin, and feral druid could never do at this point?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm so glad that even though there were several questions concerning holy paladins in arena, none of them were answered. The only thing that was even remotely near what I was looking for was the question about casters not being able to hard cast spells. All I saw was "We are working on it. Look for a GC blog."
Holy pallies have more problems than not being able to hard cast. We have no decent cc in arena. Yes, I know we have HoJ and rebuke, but you have to get pretty close to your opponent to do that. We have no way to keep our team alive when in a cc effect, and no, our terrible mastery isn't a good response to this. Increasing it to 15 sec won't do anything because the shield runs out pretty fast.
All of our utility can be dispelled, such as hand of sacrifice and hand of freedom, while you changed it so that barkskin can't be dispelled. I would like some answers to what I stated above please.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
03/22/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Bashiok
Once Shadow priests lose their defensive dispel capabilities, we think they will be less versatile and their entire package will be more comparable to warlocks.

How soon before Spriests are nerfed to the Warlock pvp level?
90 Human Paladin
03/22/2011 12:52 PMPosted by Kud

what do you call frost mages then?

Good targets to tunnel, that's what.
76 Orc Shaman
I was disappointed with a few of these responses. The one that disappointed me the most was the response to bringing skirmishes back. Skirmishes offered an easy, efficient and fast way to test out new comps, new talents, new players etc. Wargames offers similar uses is overall a downgrade to the skirmish system. I don't see why you would remove something effective from the game solely because it is not being used often. Wargames are probably used even less than skirmishes just because of the difficulties of assembling and organizing them. This just seemed like a bad move in my opinion. I would like to see this game advance forward with new content, not devolve.
85 Draenei Shaman
And nothing on multi-boxing shammys
I really hate the answer given about Warlock survivability, because it wasnt answered at all. They didnt ask you to talk about Warlocks compared to Shadow priest, they asked about Warlock, and only Warlock, survivability. That question should have been answered by talking about our defenses and not include a single word about any other classes defenses.

Nothing was answered in the original answer that was given that wasnt already known by anyone who plays a warlock. We want to know what Blizzards thinks of how we survive in pvp. What they think about our defenses, cooldowns, and how we take damage.

Also, just because it was said 2 or more times elsewhere in the PvP answers. PLEASE quit saying that warlocks have good self healing, when only Affliction does. Demo barely has ANY self healing and destros comes from long cast nukes, which they cant get enough of off in PvP to actually heal for much.

Blizzard needs to find a way to give Demo and destro some more self healing while not touching affliction, because those 2 specs truely just dont heal any. Even spaming drain life isnt good, because the outcome is almost always a small amount of healing followed by a spell lockout.

And one last thing on the topic is Warlocks in PvP. Demo and Destro both have problems casting, that is true, but that isnt the only problem. Being able to dispel ALL of my dots for almost no mana to stop about 40+% of my damage is just broken. When I Arena, Healers barely even are healing thier dps, because they just dispel my dots and the DPS keeps me from casting almost anything. Casting AND dispels still need more work, and they need to work together to actually help some specs in PvP.
90 Human Paladin

It all started when you blasted low level pvp which you just admitted which was the basis for both of us argument which I responded.

Again do not deviate which you have been doing. Yet since now you admitted you nulled half your point by practically saying, "I don't care" which in turns reflected on everything else.

Deviating really is transparent. So you answered that yourself bluntly enough which I can take but makes most of the rest on what you said pretty invalid.

My blasting low level PvP was an ad hominem towards you specifically. It was not at all the basis for my initial claim, either.

So, yes, you missed the point. The only point I care about making is that people are going to whine about anything no matter the outcome of the PvP Ask the Devs Q&A.

Also, saying I have no care for sub-level cap PvP is irrelevant to my initial point. It doesn't at all affect the strength of my argument.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
what's up with the broken BG queues? These answers were mostly about class balance, which is hard to care about when so many people are having trouble getting into PVP in the first place.

Also this.
90 Troll Druid
At the high end of PvP, we think Frost mages are balanced. It’s everything below that where they can be frustrating to handle. We need to figure out ways to affect the latter without affecting the former.

So you're fine with people being frustrated with mages outside of high end pvp because they're balanced at high end pvp, yet balance druids and elemental shaman are going to stay unchanged and weak in high end pvp because they're frustratig to pvp against outside of high end pvp?

Seems like you're holding these specs to VASTLY different sets of standards.
100 Dwarf Priest
A: Shadow priests have some very potent emergency buttons, particularly Dispersion. Warlocks have good self-healing (which also to be fair, was nerfed recently), abilities like Demonic Circle and fears that are good for both offense and defense. Once Shadow priests lose their defensive dispel capabilities, we think they will be less versatile and their entire package will be more comparable to warlocks.

Dispersion is powerful? Really? Paladins can bubble and cast. DK's can AMS and DPS. Mages have short CD's and can blink, snare after ice block.

Dispersion only means we will stay alive 3-5 seconds longer while doing no damage. I've taken 10-15k damage from warriors while being dispersed, it's not even that powerful.

Can someone explain the versatility thing to me? Our DoTs have no dispel protection, cast time spells lock us out of everything including mind spike. Our shortest CD is 23 second glyphed fear and we have no CC.

Lastly, has anyone given the defensive dispel removal thought about how this is going to affect PvE? ie. Chogall our only interrupt is fear but we cannot dispel the fear mechanic afterwards.
90 Human Paladin
03/22/2011 12:59 PMPosted by Apeck
At the high end of PvP, we think Frost mages are balanced. It’s everything below that where they can be frustrating to handle. We need to figure out ways to affect the latter without affecting the former.

So you're fine with people being frustrated with mages outside of high end pvp because they're balanced at high end pvp, yet balance druids and elemental shaman are going to stay unchanged and weak in high end pvp because they're frustratig to pvp against outside of high end pvp?

Seems like you're holding these specs to VASTLY different sets of standards.

"We need to figure out ways to affect the latter without affecting the former."

I'm almost certain that's them claiming they want to address the concerns of frustration regarding Frost Mages sub-high end PvP. Hell, that's even in your quote. How did you miss that?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]