Ask the Devs - Answers #2 "PvP"

85 Human Paladin
i think that frost mage aint that bad, but Spellteal is ... how can i say : unfair i think that mage don't need a dispel whit all theyre mana regain that they have it doesent even hurt them.

And we want skirms back because i think that there was more players doing skirms that we have players doing 5s. So based on what youre saying we should remove 5s ..cause anyway no body plays them
100 Orc Hunter
03/22/2011 1:25 PMPosted by Bashiok
The primary purpose of Ask the Devs is to help you understand the developer perspective and intent.

Congratulations are in order, then.
100 Worgen Druid
03/22/2011 1:31 PMPosted by Kàisér
I wasn't aware that Shadow priests had good defensive cooldowns... I wouldn't even consider Dispersion as an effective defensive cooldown since after the 5 seconds of 90% damage, your most likely still getting beaten on and you just delayed the inevitable. Care to explain what other "defensive cooldowns" shadow priests have?

well, they could just add 3 more seconds and call it a pally bubble.

edit: wait, i may be wrong. Can you shattering throw or mass dispel dispersion?
Edited by Ruid on 3/22/2011 1:35 PM PDT
85 Tauren Druid

Q: In Cataclysm, PvP fights were supposed to be slow and everyone should spend longer in a wounded state. But from what I’m seeing, healers are still able to bring someone up from 1% to 100% in 2 or 3 global CDs. So it comes down back to the WOTLK style, either you burst someone in a CD and damage spike, or you need a setup with tons of CC. There simply is not a state where someone is at 50% health and you can keep him around that way with your damage. He will be at 100% in the next 2 global CDs. Any plans to address this? – Noidealol (Europe [English])
    A: We just don’t think that is the case in Cataclysm relative to Lich King. Players have roughly 100,000 health, and even the big heals, which are very hard to use in PvP, only heal by 30,000 or so. Most healers do have some kind of emergency button (say Nature’s Swiftness plus Healing Touch) and that may be what you’re seeing, or else hots are ticking away for a longer period of time (longer than 2-3 GCDs for sure). We have had some burst issues rise up from time to time (say Aimed Shot, or more recently warriors), but we take pains to stomp them out when they happen. Overall we’re seeing a wide variety of classes and specs participating in Arenas, which argues that there are several strategies that work, not just the focus on one dude and blow him up strategy that prevailed in the previous expansion.

All that said, we are looking closely at healing in PvP right now. It can be really hard to kill say a flag carrier being assisted by multiple healers (especially once there is less burst damage from Balance druids and warriors).

Clever evasion!

Also that bit about feral healing was pretty lawlz.

And still nothing about how stealthed players can't use melee attacks against camod hunters.
85 Tauren Druid
If you ever feel like looking into problems with Moonkin pvp, take a good long look at instant Roots. I can hardly describe how useful it was while it existed and how much playing my Druid sucks with out it.
85 Worgen Hunter
You know...typically I defend you guys and say that the WoW community is pretty viral and people just complain to hear themselves talk....but my god what are you guys doing with this Q&A thing?

Only you, Blizzard, could manage to try to do something helpful, and turn it into something that brings even more heat upon yourselves.

Do 2 things in the future:

1: Have someone just pick relevant questions. I can't honestly believe you when you sit here and try to tell me that questions about why the honor grind is so long and god-awful didn't get as many votes as some stupid question like "what happened to skirmishes?". You said it yourself, nobody used them, so where did all these mystery people that never used them shoot up from to vote for that awful question?

2: Give some real answers. "Well your traps are broken because it's too hard to redo how they're programmed in the game." Uh, I'm sorry, can you maybe just take like...I don't know, .0001% of your monthly profit and hire a guy to fix that? Are C+ programmers that hard to find? Are they so expensive that Blizzard can't afford them? Give me a break. "It's broken and it's too hard to fix right now" is a stupid answer for a company that makes as much money as you do.

And random side-note rant....why the hell aren't rogues tripping traps in stealth? Don't they have disarm to prevent that? Is stealth more than just avoiding being seen now? Is it some kind of shift into another realm where you're now invincible?

Moving forward, can you guys give some actual thought to your answers beyond the first thing that comes to mind. "Hunter traps are broken, it's too hard to fix right now, but we want to fix it sometime later....". Don't do this. Tell us your answer to the question. Tell us why it's your answer. Tell us your plan to fix the problem.

I don't want to sound like a complete whiner here but I think you guys need to realize that it's your own fault that people are so wound up about this stuff because your communication has been terrible for years now, and people are irritated that they aren't getting everything they want right off the bat. Please keep doing QA's, please take our rage with a grain of salt, but for the love of god start doing a better job with them. Questions like "what do you do when you're not working on WoW" hardly warrant taking up a precious slot where a real question might get answered. Keep in mind we want these answers because we like your game, we like your product, and we're passionate enough about it to be upset when you phone it in like this.
Edited by Eumyin on 3/22/2011 1:47 PM PDT

Q: In Cataclysm, PvP fights were supposed to be slow and everyone should spend longer in a wounded state. But from what I’m seeing, healers are still able to bring someone up from 1% to 100% in 2 or 3 global CDs. So it comes down back to the WOTLK style, either you burst someone in a CD and damage spike, or you need a setup with tons of CC. There simply is not a state where someone is at 50% health and you can keep him around that way with your damage. He will be at 100% in the next 2 global CDs. Any plans to address this? – Noidealol (Europe [English])
    A: We just don’t think that is the case in Cataclysm relative to Lich King. Players have roughly 100,000 health, and even the big heals, which are very hard to use in PvP, only heal by 30,000 or so. Most healers do have some kind of emergency button (say Nature’s Swiftness plus Healing Touch) and that may be what you’re seeing, or else hots are ticking away for a longer period of time (longer than 2-3 GCDs for sure). We have had some burst issues rise up from time to time (say Aimed Shot, or more recently warriors), but we take pains to stomp them out when they happen. Overall we’re seeing a wide variety of classes and specs participating in Arenas, which argues that there are several strategies that work, not just the focus on one dude and blow him up strategy that prevailed in the previous expansion.

All that said, we are looking closely at healing in PvP right now. It can be really hard to kill say a flag carrier being assisted by multiple healers (especially once there is less burst damage from Balance druids and warriors).

Clever evasion!

Also that bit about feral healing was pretty lawlz.

And still nothing about how stealthed players can't use melee attacks against camod hunters.

Evasion? They said they disagree. You not liking their answer doesn't mean they did not answer.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I haven't read the whole thread, just saw the following snippet about rated BG team requirements on the main page, read the answer, and chuckled:

We understand there are heavy logistical requirements to organizing teams – that is in part why the rewards are so good. We believe that if we just opened the doors to random queuing that the system would be less about organized teams competing against organized teams and more about the luck of whether you got a good team or not.

In my experience, this is already the case. You spend half an hour finding enough (suckers) willing to go, another half hour in the queue, then... the times I've done rated BGs, it's been my team of low-rated, new-to-the-system players against a team of 1800-2000 rated BGers. And we got stomped.

Our reward: I don't know, like 10 honor? And being GY camped, if that counts. For an hour of work/waiting and a logistical nightmare...

You've got a lot of work to do in the balancing and incentives department, both on the winning and losing side. And the rated BGs seem to suffer a lack of available teams to choose when matching, resulting in poor matches and long waits (this is giving the benefit of the doubt - it's also possible the system just sucks). It's like when the 2's team you threw together for points at 3am queues up and gets a 2k rated team every game because no one else is playing.

I'd rather grab 2-3 good buddies and stomp some regular BGs or do 5 arena games than scrounge up 10 players etc etc for a rated BG.
Edited by Facerollpro on 3/22/2011 1:40 PM PDT
85 Draenei Mage
[Removed because sarcasm is considered a bannable offense apparently]
Edited by Neverdied on 3/22/2011 2:11 PM PDT
19 Night Elf Priest
03/22/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Bashiok
Demonic Circle and fears that are good for both offense and defense
demonic circle... make it a real emergency button... because the only time i want to port is when i have a rogue and prot warrior spam stunning me while eating my face. and everyone is immune to fear for 10+ seconds nowadays... you know what happens to a non healer clothie when a melee gets to beat on them for 10+ seconds?? yeah... see ya at the graveyard.

03/22/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Bashiok
because then they would always hit, even against a stealthed rogue for instance
and if a stealthed rogue is dumb enough to step on a trap, that they can SEE, it should hit them... think of it as a dumb dumb check... in fact if a stealthed rogue steps on a hunter trap it should do 400% of watever it was going to do... just because they'd have to be an idiot to step on it in the first place.

i think the failure on the hunter trap deal is multi layer'd... first layer it needs to scall off the hunters stats. (period)
second layer failing to achieve the first for whatever reason... all traps should be 100% hit. and 400% affect to anyone with "Detect Traps"... this should happen no matter what the solution to the hit issue is.

and warlocks are a joke... ask one... or better yet use your magical gm abilities and make a lock... give it the best gear/gems/chants possible... read read read everything you can get your hands on about lock pvp... and get rolled by the first war/dk/rogue/pal/feral/(mm)hunter/frost mage/(or anything with dispells) that you bump into... the hunter can be beaten... as can the rogue... maybe... most likely the rest will destroy you every time... because of the fear immunities and the restrictions/predictability on the use of portal locks really don't have ANY good oh "poo poo" buttons...

Hunters lets be honest... unless you have a little support the only folks you can beat alone are people that will die to aimed+chimera+silence+SSx2+chimera+killx2... and you might need rapid fire to make that work for ya... depending on your haste values... and if they get in your face you can forget it.
Edited by Modivi on 3/22/2011 1:46 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]