Ask the Devs - Answers #2 "PvP"

100 Troll Druid
The kit of the Frost mage is to have a lot of control and emergency buttons. This gives them a high skill cap, both in that it can be hard to stop a good Frost mage and it can be hard for less skilled PvP players to handle even a decent Frost mage.

lol high skill cap and frost mages.
85 Undead Warlock
Love that the answer regarding warlocks was about shadow priests.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey dev's I have a question! Hopefully you can answer. I looked at your response to the person asking about elemental shamans and how rare they are in PvP. But they also asked if there was any plans to get them changed. And I noticed in your answer you pointed out the flaws of why an elemental shaman is hardly seen as viable. And I am wondering, ARE there any plans to make them viable in the future? Or is it just a follow up of nerfing interrupts as mentioned as a plan to make hard casting more viable, thus bringing elemental shamans back into the mix?
03/22/2011 11:39 AMPosted by Raïne
Can anyone give me a reason why balance druid's starsurge "NEEDED to be nerfed" besides the fact that it can blow people up in BGs?

Wait, what? How many reasons must a nerf or buff be based on?
90 Human Death Knight

You can sort search results by popularity, which uses the rating scheme to organise them by.

Lets assume thats right, that means you are saying blizzard diliberately only answered the questions they felt they wanted to and ignored the most popular? That seems very unlikely.

Wait no it really doesnt does it. : /
85 Blood Elf Hunter
03/22/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Bashiok
Once Shadow priests lose their defensive dispel capabilities, we think they will be less versatile and their entire package will be more comparable to warlocks.

nerf incoming XD
90 Dwarf Priest
Dear Blizzard,

I understand that not all questions can be answered.

But does that justify 50% of the answers being about class balance?

There were:

1. No answers about Tol Barad, which is still frustrating to play even after the changes in patch 4.0.6.
2. No answers about Wintergrasp, where siege tanks are still level 80 and can be three-shotted by one level 85 player.
3. No answers about low level BGs, where a level 12 hunter can blow up a level 10 player in two shots. Hunter isn't even level 14 yet.
4. No answers about Alterac Valley and its problems.
5. No answers about implementing a "Vote Kick"-like system for Battlegrounds to use against people who are just farming HKs instead of actually trying to win.

I think I'll just go queue for Warsong Gulch right now and just "fight in the middle" over and over again instead of trying to win until Blizzard adds "Vote Kick" to Battlegrounds.
85 Troll Hunter
1) they dont need minions when they can do all the same things themselves

2) SP at least have a hardcast that hurts

3) less dmg? lawl

How often can a spriest hardcast ms and mb in arenas. Locks have their minions which makes it hard to hardcast. Priests sw:p and devouring plague can be easily dispelled without penalty. and no sw:p means no orbs for high crits.
85 Night Elf Druid
LOL!, you want to make balance druids viable in PVP~ but you nerf thorns and roots which have very little PVE usage on top of the dmg-healing- and CC nerfs just rofl look at what you're doing~silly.
85 Tauren Druid
I do want to thank the designers for taking time to answer my question. I do appreciate it.

Mostly I'm glad to hear that you want us to be viable.

Q: Balance druids are widely recognized as deficient in PvP. Can you describe your motivation for nerfing Balance druids' burst damage, crowd control, and self-healing in 4.1? This seems like a lot, given that you have acknowledged that Balance druids are currently weak in Arena (during your first Q&A). (It would be great if you could speak generally to what your vision or plan is for this class, in PvP. Some players believe that Blizzard does not intend for feral or balance druids to be played in arena. Please tell us for the record that this is not true!) Thank you. – Jynks (North America/ANZ)

A: Last week the words actually used were that Balance druids struggle in Arena. They are exceptional in Battlegrounds. But Balance druids cast hard spells a lot, which are more likely to be interrupted in Arenas. They do good damage in Battlegrounds when they can dot multiple targets, but those are more likely to be dispelled in Arenas. Despite those weaknesses, Starsurge needed to be nerfed. Broken spells shouldn’t make up for being weak in Arena.

We want Feral and Balance to be played in PvP and ideally in Arena. It is hard to make every spec equally viable in Arenas without giving everyone all the same set of tools, which was part of the entire genesis towards the emphasis on Rated Battlegrounds for Cataclysm. We know some players scratch their heads when we nerf Balance and Feral in PvP because they historically haven’t been as highly represented as some other specs. However, it’s not cool for a spec to be super annoying or frustrating to play against just because they aren’t common. But to answer your question for the record, yes we want them to be viable.

Is it possible to just get clarification on why Starsurge needed to be nerfed, or was considered broken? That's what we don't understand. Was that just more burst than you were comfortable with in PvP? You mentioned stomping out crazy burst when you see it.

I also don't understand why Balance is considered super annoying or frustrating to play against? I've heard many Balance players describe the spec as super frustrating to play, but I've never heard anyone describe us as more than free lunch as opponents. I'm not trying to be a wiseguy but I just can't understand this.

Trying to connect the dots, is your feeling that you want to leave Balance druids alone until you get around to toning down dispels and interrupts, and then see how we're doing after that? That sounds reasonable, although post-starsurge, self-healing and cyclone nerf, it certain leaves us in an even worse state during the interim.

Also, have you considered that a lot of our deficit in arena could be addressed by providing us with dispel protection? Warlocks, shadow priests and even DK's have this. And even in your own example you point to the reason we do well in battlegrounds is because we can spread our dots and that they tend to stick better in that setting.

Thank you.
92 Night Elf Warrior
03/22/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Bashiok
We could also put in some kind of browsing system to make it easier to find people looking for Rated Battle Grounds.

Omg I so suggested that. Woot
55 Dwarf Death Knight
Wish they would've answered more questions.

100 Night Elf Druid
Dear Blizzard,

I understand that not all questions can be answered.

But does that justify 50% of the answers being about class balance?

There were:

1. No answers about Tol Barad, which is still frustrating to play even after the changes in patch 4.0.6.
2. No answers about Wintergrasp, where siege tanks are still level 80 and can be three-shotted by one level 85 player.
3. No answers about low level BGs, where a level 12 hunter can blow up a level 10 player in two shots. Hunter isn't even level 14 yet.
4. No answers about Alterac Valley and its problems.
5. No answers about implementing a "Vote Kick"-like system for Battlegrounds to use against people who are just farming HKs instead of actually trying to win.

I think I'll just go queue for Warsong Gulch right now and just "fight in the middle" over and over again instead of trying to win until Blizzard adds "Vote Kick" to Battlegrounds.

Have liked this post. Maybe we'll see it appear in the next Q&A about UI's if it gets enough rating. Vote it up people!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]