Ask the Devs - Answers #2 "PvP"

85 Troll Druid
No Horde/Alliance queue balancing answer :(
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I like them throwing around the idea of mages getting some sort of dispel protection while they are able to spell steal pretty much all of my defensive cool downs.
85 Draenei Shaman
Dude, what's with saying "dude" a lot, dude?

Thanks for answering these questions. I know there's some questions that other posters are going "But you neglected to answer my question on X", but you'll get them answers somehow, even if not on the Developer Q&A, right, dude?

Here's a question not in the Q&A that I know of:

Dude, any chance Draenei females will get a /waggle emote? That would be awesome.
90 Orc Shaman
Intensely disappointed. I'll leave it at that, I suppose...
85 Human Paladin
Not a single Holy Paladin question answered.

My insta-casts are weak but they are the only thing I get off because I cant hard cast when i'm sitting in a poly/deep-freeze/counter-spell/fear/sap/blind/counter-spell/counter-spell/counter-spell rinse and repeat. Every defensive buff I have gets spell stolen instantly (not only is it gone but now the mage has freedom) and even if I have the extra gcd's to dispel im likely to dispel 4 times before i can cleanse the poly. Paladins are decent in RBGs (loh for the win) but outside of that our heals are weak and we have nothing we can do while CC'ed (shields/hots) and no way out of CC (swd/shape-shift/grounding/6s ranged wind-shear)

With no major changes coming in 4.1 I guess its time to quit arena for the foreseeable future as its just not fun to sit in CC and watch your dps die every single match.

Edited by Jerrion on 3/22/2011 12:01 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Thanks for the detailed responses. Learned about your MO towards PVP. I still have one question however. Looking at the situation where you were describing having to have a skill operate differently PvP and Pve (i.e. Warrior's Colossal Smash), isn't this an indication that the two worlds cannot simply be balanced with one system?

Skills meant to keep a warrior alive against a mob hitting for 60k with 10 million hit points are always going to be OP when applied in PvP. To be honest, resilience was brought in to manage out of control dmg...I think there should a bottle neck on healing as well just like CC's.

Heck if you want it to work correctly you'd nerf dmg and healing by 30-40%. Then you'd have the strategic skill based game you were aiming for. CC's would have to toned down and a lot more strategic terrain/LoS based arenas would also be necessary.

Just my thoughts...
85 Gnome Warlock
03/22/2011 11:47 AMPosted by Riein
How often can a spriest hardcast ms and mb in arenas. Locks have their minions which makes it hard to hardcast. Priests sw:p and devouring plague can be easily dispelled without penalty. and no sw:p means no orbs for high crits.

I don't disagree with you. But as someone who plays both classes SP are in a lot better shape then locks atm. Not to mention they are a hybrid so you have other options. Locks are stuck playing a support class that cant kill anything alone. That WAS NOT what warlocks have been since I started my main in early vanilla. If anything priests should be the support class. Hell all casters other then frost mages are in a bad place right now because of lockouts and melee trains....

just my humble opinion
85 Dwarf Death Knight
Q: Frost Mage and Blood Death Knight are almost unbeatable in PvP situations. Do you have any plan to adjust balance issues regarding the two Classes? – ????? (Korea)
    A:
    With the exception of a few (kind of silly) dual Blood comps in the 2v2 bracket, we see most of the Blood DK complaints when they are Battleground flag carriers. Tanks are hard to kill – that’s their thing. When tanks do obnoxious amounts of damage in PvP in addition to high survivability, as happened in some of the Lich King seasons, that feels broken. In Cataclysm, their damage is a lot lower in PvP, but their survivability is high, which feels more appropriate. We did nerf the Glyph of Dark Succor to keep it from being abusive. We’d rather the role of tanks in PvP be as flag carriers and defenders rather than the dude chasing you around trying to kill you.

My Paladin healer and I ran into a Blood DK + healing Priest (I don't know what kind, because I killed him too quickly to care). After immediately smoking the priest in the first 60 seconds of the match, The paladin and I proceeded to go to work on the DK. We could not kill him. He had the priest buff, probably gemmed stamina, and 154K hitpoints; he could heal himself faster than I could take him down. Nothing he did required skill of execution: ghoul heal on cooldown, blood worm heal, Death Strike heal, Blood Tap on cooldown. He simply ran the paladin out of mana and killed us both. Now, maybe he just outgeared us; but that's the point, you see? His healing scaled so well with gear that he could outheal an Unholy Death Knight's damage, and still do enough damage of his own to run a paladin out of mana.

I'm sure (I hope!) that this experience is not typical. My healer's kinda new; there were things that we could have done better; But this tank took everything I could dish out while mostly ignoring me, killed my healer, turned on me and did the kind of damage to me I'd expect from a dps class while laughing at my attempts to hurt him back. Whether or not you are happy with Blood tanks in high-end arenas and BGs, I submit to you that this insane capability, like Starsurge, still needs to be nerfed.
=)
Edited by Aglamir on 3/22/2011 11:56 AM PDT
85 Tauren Hunter
I am severely disappointed in the questions picked, and the answers given, especially the hunter trap/spell pen question. Why do hunters have to rely on unreliable cc, and other useless forms of utility?

There were also many other, more important questions that never got an answer, and that is just unacceptable. The fact that the devs pick and choose which questions to answer just goes to show how unimportant the community is.

87 Worgen Warrior
where the hell are the answers to the questions about AV or Tol Barad

100 Orc Hunter
03/22/2011 11:44 AMPosted by Acerac
On the bright side, I recently discovered LoL.
I've been hearing quite a lot about this game lately from people who are sick of WoW. Bargain price too, I think I may take the plunge. :)

It's a hoot and a half. Being nothing but PvP gives it an advantage -- yeah, each Champion has its own vibe, but all the leveling/gearing happens in the match, so it's very much about skill and smart decisions. To which point I will say I am sort of terrible at it, but getting better all the time, and having a blast doing it.

Plus, free.

A much more satisfying PvP experience. For a brief time I was all like, "Why isn't WoW PvP like this?" but count me among those who are going to stop asking for things in this game, and just find another that suits my needs better. Now more than ever, chances are someone out there is making the experience I want -- and both Blizzard and the people who clearly still love everything about WoW are probably glad to be rid of me and mine, so it all works out.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Q: Why do hunter traps continue to be resisted when the hunter is both spell pen capped, and specced 2/2 into Survival Tactics? – Zubzar (North America/ANZ)

A: It’s just a technical limitation. The way the code works, the traps are objects and not part of the player. We can calculate how much damage they should do based on player stats, but it is currently impossible for them to inherit things like spell pen. Spell Penetration does nothing for your traps. We don’t even have a way to make them always hit, because then they would always hit, even against a stealthed rogue for instance (which we’re sure is a solution hunters would be perfectly happy with). We know it’s not a very satisfying answer, but at the end of the day, World of Warcraft is a piece of software and given that we have some of the best programmers in the industry working on it, there aren’t any simple solutions that are going to fix this problem in the short term. It is absolutely a problem though and we do want to fix it.

so with this issue being in game for years, thats the answer ...

amazing, just amazing
Edited by Alfavhunter on 3/22/2011 11:56 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Extremely disappointed in the lack of information about holy paladins.
100 Worgen Druid
Hey Mr. Blizzard guy. Not sure where to put this so I am going to say it here.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2511340#blog

this is the "Ask the deves# 2 " thing from the home page of the forums.

If you click on this page and go down to

"Ask the Devs - Questions #3 "UI"

this link is bad. It takes you to Questions #2 instead of #3

also with this from the Blood DK in pvp thing.
03/22/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Bashiok
With the exception of a few (kind of silly) dual Blood comps in the 2v2 bracket, we see most of the Blood DK complaints when they are Battleground flag carriers. Tanks are hard to kill – that’s their thing. When tanks do obnoxious amounts of damage in PvP in addition to high survivability, as happened in some of the Lich King seasons, that feels broken. In Cataclysm, their damage is a lot lower in PvP, but their survivability is high, which feels more appropriate. We did nerf the Glyph of Dark Succor to keep it from being abusive. We’d rather the role of tanks in PvP be as flag carriers and defenders rather than the dude chasing you around trying to kill you.

I agree, it is an answer. I don't like the answer cause I think a tank should be hard to kill in arenas not impossible. Thank you for at least acknowledging that something is up in that regards.
85 Night Elf Druid
"Balance druids struggle in Arena. They are exceptional in Battlegrounds."` lol spamming DOT's for high overall dmg does not make a class exceptional in BG's it just makes them look good~ I would say balance druids are better in BG's than Arena - but try to get into a rated bg group as a booomkin ~ everyone still prefers any other caster, get real - these weekly change are ridiculous~ did all the game testers get fired or something? what is happening? >.> ~ fix my boomkin & stop breaking it more plz.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
though I agree if you take out the team req. for a rated BG, it isn't a rated BG but I think there should be a bit more focus on the term "Personal rating". I completely understand the idea that it shows how well that particular player does in said group, but having a solo rated Que with less powerful rewards as grouped rated ques. essentially it sounds more attractive to players who struggle to find a guild that isn't filled with morons who cant organize a coloring book. plus, it just makes Pvp sound attractive to players who want to stray from, Saturday, 7pm server, TOFW run.
85 Human Rogue
I love Q&A day.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]