Ask the Devs - Answers #2 "PvP"

90 Tauren Druid
i have to agree out of this Q/A these were some terrible responses.

let me know when u make warriors self heal effect his rage and damage, so that way it can suck as bad as feral
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Q: Can I hear your thoughts of the survival abilities of the Warlock on PvP? – Mccoll (Korea)

A: Overall, we think they’re fine. Warlocks in PvP often compare themselves to Shadow priest, and to be fair, Shadow priests have some very potent emergency buttons, particularly Dispersion. Warlocks have good self-healing (which also to be fair, was nerfed recently), abilities like Demonic Circle and fears that are good for both offense and defense. Once Shadow priests lose their defensive dispel capabilities, we think they will be less versatile and their entire package will be more comparable to warlocks.

I love how you justify a warlocks issue and question by saying that its fine shadowpriests will be the same.
85 Human Mage
I think that most of you players that whine and complain about PvP balance have forgotten that PvP balance is intended to be in effect at high end PvP.

You're also failing to realize that every class is a little different, and thats why we NEED teams to make PvP balanced. That is the primary reason 1v1 is not balanced and won't be.

PvP is balanced just fine at the high end. Arenas are vastly different from BG's. there i said everything that should answer anyone who's complaining's questions.

stop whining, complaining. Anybody can beat anybody as long as your good enough (assuming your in somewhat equal gear).
100 Blood Elf Warlock
i was waiting a better answer about the warlock questions, yes we have fear but fear its weak and breaks very easily, inmune to dk , and wariors can remove it and when you try again he is inmune to it, dont compare us to Spriest, they can heal themselves, but us, only that healthstone and it have a long cooldown, demonic circle cannot be used when silenced or stunned, and mages have like a extra trinket for stuns...sorry but there is not balance
1 Dwarf Warrior
wow what a waste of time
85 Tauren Warrior
With the exception of a few (kind of silly) dual Blood comps in the 2v2 bracket, we see most of the Blood DK complaints when they are Battleground flag carriers. Tanks are hard to kill – that’s their thing.

No crap, sherlock. We know that. Wasted text.

03/22/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Bashiok
When tanks do obnoxious amounts of damage in PvP in addition to high survivability, as happened in some of the Lich King seasons, that feels broken.

Completely unrelated to blood DKs being better pvp tanks than other classes.

In Cataclysm, their damage is a lot lower in PvP, but their survivability is high, which feels more appropriate.

Much, much, much higher than any other tanking class in pvp. Somehow you failed to mention that however.

We’d rather the role of tanks in PvP be as flag carriers and defenders rather than the dude chasing you around trying to kill you.

This has not been achieved at all. What you did achieve, however, is:
"... the role of blood DKs, but not any other tanking class, in PvP are as flag carriers and defenders, rather than the other tanking classes being even remotely competative with them."

What an awfully useless, cop-out answer, man.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Loving the changes to guild xp (and rep?) being earned through pvp. Being in a very small guild of RL friends who mainly only pvp, this is a very welcome change. Thanks Blizz.

BUT:

-No dispell protection mention for ANYTHING. I only care about warlocks (immolate). Your devouring plague can suck one.
-Good to know frosts are balanced. Except their mana pool is in danger of imploding. Oh wait...
-Good to know locks are where they are supposed to be. Self healing is fine, you say? Oh, okay.
-Good to know warriors are getting the nerf bat for their crazy burst. Oh wait..
-Blood DKs in PvP are ok and not doing too much healing compared to their healing and utility. Oh wait..
-"Burst heals and damage are still the main orders for group pvp. Is this intended?" "No. And people aren't doing that." "Yes they are." "No, must be cooldown popping that you see." "Ummm..." "Cooldowns, yo, workin as intended."

We think Battlegrounds work better when there is a goal that the team can work towards. Huge melees with lots of players tend to be chaotic by nature so there is less room for skill to influence the outcome. It feels more random, and the more random the system is, the more arbitrary the rewards will feel. It might be something we try someday.

For example, emergency buttons are balanced around the assumption that only a few players are ganged up against you. Even in the 5v5 Arena bracket, it’s very difficult to survive being focused by so many players at once, so you feel like you don’t have many options. There is a reason that most of our Arena attention is on 3v3 – it just feels the best.

Please note: The people who want this/will use this, do NOT care much for team based goals, like you suggest. The reason for suggesting this in the first place, is because there are many people who want exactly what you describe and are shying away from(?). Randomness, chaos, insanity, WAR for godsakes. As for the rewards? Meh, any reward from that is a perk. I will gladly walk away with nuthing but more honor, even if that in itself is almost useless to me (can only buy so many things).
I love pvp like that. It's fun fighting on the road/mid (not sayin I do it all the time, but it IS fun). Sometimes you just want to go and wail on some gnome face. Punch a drenaei. Kick a dwarf, stab a night elf. W/e. It's fun.
*In a deep voice, a la 'Starsky & Hutch' (New one)* " Do it. Come on, do it. Rum and Coke, come on, do it. Do it."
85 Blood Elf Paladin
pity no holy paladin questions made it up there.
100 Worgen Druid
And still no answer on the vanish/pet bug.

Thanks Blizz!

Actually..... if you were able to look at the old forums... they answered this as "working as intended" at lest 2 years ago.

That is assuming you are talking about casting stealth and a pet still following you. Vanish and stealth are 2 different things.
basically vanish is escape from everything.
Stealth.... to bad if a pet was following you when u cast stealth. Its not an escape.
90 Tauren Druid
I think that most of you players that whine and complain about PvP balance have forgotten that PvP balance is intended to be in effect at high end PvP.

You're also failing to realize that every class is a little different, and thats why we NEED teams to make PvP balanced. That is the primary reason 1v1 is not balanced and won't be.

PvP is balanced just fine at the high end. Arenas are vastly different from BG's. there i said everything that should answer anyone who's complaining's questions.

stop whining, complaining. Anybody can beat anybody as long as your good enough (assuming your in somewhat equal gear).

your right, cause while im stunned (by a mage) while being rooted, and snared taking insane amounts of damage with no means to close the gap or defend myself while watching all my buffs and heals(if i decided to try) get spell sniped makes for fair game play.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]