Inscription Dailies: The Death of Glyphs

90 Night Elf Druid
My main, Sneakypanda, is an herbalist and a scribe. I have never had any problems with inscription until just recently. Do you know that there are well over 300 glyphs that scribes have to learn? Many of these are taught by either a trainer or books of glyph mastery. The trainer glyphs are, by far, the cheapest and easiest to come by. The book glyphs are next in line for easiest to come by, but certainly the most expensive since cataclysm. These books used to sell for about 30g each pre-cata, and now I have seen some sell on the auction house for 1k. This is not a problem at all for scribes, though, as you can farm these out to an extent. The main problem that many scribes have are the daily cds. Northrend inscription research and minor inscription research are the bane of all scribes' existence. You need to complete these cooldowns for at least three to four months in order to learn every glyph. On top of that, however, there is a chance for the northrend inscription research to fail. I almost have all glyphs learned, and now that I'm nearing the end of these dailies, they seem to fail a few days at a time before I learn a new glyph. Why does it take so long to get all the recipes when other professions have to farm or trade items for their recipes? Sure alchemists have to complete dailies too, but definitely not to the extent of scribes. Please lay off on how much time it takes to fill up inscription, blizzard. Maybe give a slight chance, slight, to learn two glyphs from one research, and definitely take out the chance that the daily cd will fail.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Jewelcrafting takes 248 days to get all the recipes from dailys, assuming you don't get any of the JC only gems/gem cuts.
Reply Quote
82 Tauren Paladin

I get 35k Obliterates on 0 resil BG Heros. But i think most classes can do that to people with 0 resil.

Oh the fun when this druid was feral. With unheeded warning.

Pounce -> Tiger's Fury -> Rake -> Shred to 5 -> Rip. Mages got Ravage in place of Pounce.

0 Resil people sometimes died before the rip. But post mobility nerf the spec was just too goddamn frustrating to play in a BG. Meanwhile resto's pretty much a god in BGs.
Reply Quote
03/24/2011 7:16 PMPosted by Atheistgods
Jewelcrafting takes 248 days to get all the recipes from dailys, assuming you don't get any of the JC only gems/gem cuts.

JC, however, gets to choose the recipes it gets and ignores the useless cuts.

Inscription is purely RNG.

Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree its RNG, but you do not have to do all of the dailies to powerlevel inscription. At least with dailies you get to learn a recipe, many professions rely on rare dropss, etc for those recipes. There are many recipes my enchanter will NEVER learn. My inscriptionist is my only crafter I have that has every possible recipe. It may not be quick, but you are guaranteed to get every recipe, something no other profession can guarantee.

If every recipe was easy and on the trainer, there would be no market at all for glyphs, since everyone would have an inscription alt.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Your analysis on the ease of getting books is incorrect. There is a dramatically reduced availability of books cause noone is running Wrath anymore.

This is the bigger problem.

But yes - inscription is broken.
Reply Quote
And i finally read the entire block of text.

THERE IS NO CHANCE FOR NORTHREND INSCRIPTION RESEARCH TO FAIL (or minor, or from books of glyph mastery)

If there is a recipe you are eligible for from doing the research, you will learn it. No if's, and's or but's.

If, however, the only recipes you don't know are too high of level for you, you will not learn anything.

In other words, if you're doing your research at max level, there's no issue and you will learn something until unless there are no more recipes to learn.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
2-3 months but you're sure to learn the glyph through research
vs
Anywhere from 1 day to 3 months (or more) where you don't get the rare recipe drop (most other professions)

Glyphs themselves have evolved to be like vanity pets and mounts. A character only needs it once (just like a pet/mount), and the value/usefulness of the glyph/pet/mount is not tied to the level in which you learned the recipe, or even how difficult it was to obtain (some pet recipes aren't that hard to obtain, but people love their pets so they still sell, while some recipes can be super rare but people won't pay much for it)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
03/25/2011 8:51 AMPosted by Thwacker
THERE IS NO CHANCE FOR NORTHREND INSCRIPTION RESEARCH TO FAIL (or minor, or from books of glyph mastery)

Actually, yes there is. Mine has failed on me several times now, and I know that I don't have all glyphs. I'm also at max level, so there is no reason for me not to be able to get all glyphs in game. It also says, in the description, that the research has a high chance to teach you a new glyph. It does not say anything about being guaranteed.
This, along with the fact that I talked to a gm about it, clearly proves that it can fail.
Reply Quote
There are 3 pools of 'discoverable' glyphs:
- minor research
- northrend research
- books of glyph mastery

One form of research will not teach from the other pool.

And I've leveled 2 scribes to max level, and have never had research fail when I had eligible glyphs to learn.

Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Actually, yes there is. Mine has failed on me several times now, and I know that I don't have all glyphs. I'm also at max level, so there is no reason for me not to be able to get all glyphs in game. It also says, in the description, that the research has a high chance to teach you a new glyph. It does not say anything about being guaranteed.
This, along with the fact that I talked to a gm about it, clearly proves that it can fail.

I'm guessing that's new then since 2 scribes worth with every glyph in game and no research ever "failed" until I had every current recipe from that type of research.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I do not have every glyph for my inscription. I can't learn any more from books, minor research hasn't given me a glyph in over a month, and northrend research will occasionally fail. I have every glyph that you can buy from the trainer too.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
fail... my mage has them all... wasn't any trouble at all.
Reply Quote
7 Orc Hunter
Most enchanters wont even have all the maelstrom recipes/random drops before 4.1. Just be glad the only downfall to learning new glyphs is time. I have to fork over 10kg for my recipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edited by Iamsweetbay on 3/27/2011 4:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i have maxed scripe that doesnt have all the glyphs and havent learned from research nor books in a couple months :(
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
08/30/2011 03:35 PMPosted by Gnomenuts
i have maxed scripe that doesnt have all the glyphs and havent learned from research nor books in a couple months :(

what are you missing cause there's a hand full that are vendor bought patterns.

i have 2 chars that have all the research glyphs and ive never seen it fail except when i had all of them.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
I love thread necros. So much, imma bump this one.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
08/30/2011 05:21 PMPosted by Graxo
I love thread necros. So much, imma bump this one.

i always find the necro comments amusing since at least a dozen times a day i see someone saying to search their topic before posting....necros is what you get.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]