How to truly lock action bars?

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok I know how to lock my action bars in the UI but that does not help when holding down shift. You can lock them but if you hold down shift they will still move.

My problem is that I use my shift with "a" and "d" to strafe left and right. When I do this and am clicking an ability (yes I am a clicker sometimes) then it will move my actions off my bar mid combat. I have tried to use a different button for strafe but I just cant change. Then I have also been slowly moving away from clicking but that isnt happening soon.

So, is there a way to lock your action bars even with shift being held down?
85 Night Elf Druid
03/27/2011 10:15 AMPosted by Rhomer
So, is there a way to lock your action bars even with shift being held down?

Not by default, as that would defeat the purpose of even using Shift in the first place. That's like trying to lock a door while making the key unusable, but usable when you want it to be unlocked.

Go into the Keybinding options and change the unlock command to another key (or unbind it entirely) instead of Shift. The exact name escapes me, but it should be under the Actionbar section.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Never mind. Searched a bit longer and found a way to change it to the CTRL button which will help a ton.

Guess I should have searched longer the first time.
85 Blood Elf Priest
If you use key bindings there is really no need to lock your action bars.
03/27/2011 10:35 AMPosted by Jamö
If you use key bindings there is really no need to lock your action bars.

Though this isn't the answer you were looking for, it's good advice. Clicking is ok for rarely used and non-combat abilities, but you should keybind spells in your regular rotation.
85 Goblin Warrior
/run SetModifiedClick("PICKUPACTION", "CTRL") replace CTRL with ALT or NIL if you don't want anything.

BTW it's a perfectly valid question, not sure why 3 people told you to not use the mouse. You can't have a key bind for EVERY ability, that's why Lock Actionbars exists in the first place. And if you use the Shift key for something, then you need to fix this for sure.

04/24/2011 08:30 PMPosted by Cinarawr
You can't have a key bind for EVERY ability

You can easily have a keybind for every ability you'd use in combat though, that was what I said.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
05/03/2011 11:18 PMPosted by Cinarawr

You can easily have a keybind for every ability you'd use in combat though, that was what I said.

Maybe at level 10

o.o;; i keybind every single one of my abilites, be it combat or utility even at 85. It really makes a difference and CAN save wipes at times.

but yes, theres really no need to lock when you change the keybinds, i removed the keybinds from action bar changing because i never use it.
60 Troll Hunter
I'm going to add just a little bit here. Going from being a clicker to using keybinds does take some practice. It was hard for me I had to change just 2 or so spells at time. I do have things that are still clicks though (proffessions my mount etc.) Find what works best for you and work your way into doing what you need to. It all takes practice.
85 Night Elf Druid
05/04/2011 09:13 PMPosted by Pizzdonald
Edit: Does anybody get anything out of this kind of post? I had just started playing WoW again, and I've been thinking about maybe starting up a Youtube channel and putting out tutorials/guides for this sort of thing. Showing gameplay with commentary over it to try and help explain concepts such as keybinding / mouseturning / macros, etc. Would you guys get anything out of that? Let me know, I could easily throw it together, but 6years in to the game I'm not sure how many people it would still help.

Specific keybindings vary wildly between players so that aspect probably isn't that helpful, but a walkthrough on how to keybind in the default UI (which isn't that intuitive compared to a lot of AddOns) might be useful to some newbies.

Macros aren't well-suited to a visual medium because they're bits of code,
which are better off in textinstead of a
video ofa text box
because it's easier to read and copy/paste from a forum post.

I'm not entirely sure how you'd explain or make a video about mouse turning. Hold the right mouse button and turn it so your character turns with it. Do it while you're moving and that's pretty much the concept in a nutshell.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]