HW: Sanctuary

85 Gnome Priest
I think the easiest way to 'fix' it is just lower the mana cost on it, or give some way to reduce it. Like, for every renew that you have up it reduces it by 10%.
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
Also, tell the devs to fix the priests issue that any idiot that can spam Prayer of Healing can top the meters. I think the spell is pretty healing effective and you don't need brains to make use of it and just by spamming that, it makes a ton of healing and when everyone looks at the meter everyone is like "omg" but when it comes to encounters like theres not that much AoE damage but big single focused damage, they fail miserably.

EDIT: Just checked World Of Logs and most of the top priests healers only uses the following spells: Prayer of Healing, Circle of Healing(holy), Power Word: Shield(disc) and Prayer of Mending. Are the developers happy with this design? If they used any other spells it was less than 5 times.

If you want to single target heal, go play a disc priest. Holy Priest was designed to Raid Heal. "But single focused damage, they fail miserably" - so what!

It takes a lot of brains to use PoH effectively, you can't simply spam it. The spell is so compelling and fun to play right now. You have to make on the fly math calculations within 2 seconds to decide where to cast it next.

Which group has the most people needing healing?
Do more than 2 players need healing?
Have I hit that group already? Is my Echo of light still ticking?
Are there heals already incoming that I must consider due to its long cast time?
When is damage coming? I must decide when to precast.

This is not a mindless spell if you want to top the meters. To get the most out of it you have to check 5 groups to see the best place to put it.

All classes spam buttons, get over it. But it just so happens HPriest also casts CoH and PoM which have higher HPCT which adds complexity in PoH vs CoH vs PoM.

Holy Priest is the Raid healing spec of the class designed for healing, it should always top the meters in every AoE fight in every raiding tier. The margin that top end priests are beating other classes by is fairly small, and some players are really playing the other classes so well it can be argued that Holy Priest is no longer the best raid healer.

Blizz, please don't buff HW:S and nerf PoH. Holy Priests are not spammers, the class is compelling and challenging as it is right now. We have good cooldowns with Lightwell and D-Hymn. If you do anything, just delete HW:S. You shouldn't have to design encounters to make sure HPriests can cast HW:S.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Maybe keep the healing aspect of it the same. Give it and adititional critical heal chance (like HW:serenity) to anyone standing in it.
Edited by Timmertoo on 3/29/2011 12:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I had a talk with the devs about this very issue yesterday, and they are well aware of this subject, and tend to agree with those of us (one of my mains is a holy priest) who have noticed that Sanctuary could do with a buff.

There are two things that have to be dealt with here: 1) Holy priest AE healing is pretty decent as-is, and 2) we don’t want Sanctuary to be so similar to Healing Rain.

Again, the devs agree that a modest buff is a fair solution, although it is hard to know when or by what magnitude such a buff might come along.

Might I suggest they make the spell a very cheap heal with a longer CD if necessary?
Kinda like something you want to cast when it's available if you can hit 3 or more people, but make it so you can only cast it a few times during a fight.

• Making it cheap will make sure people will use it and it won't be intentionally left out of rotations like it is now.

• Making it have a longer CD (1.5-3 minutes talented) will make sure it doesn't affect priest throughput too much.

The other options would be:

• Leave the spell healing and CD unchanged, but lower the cost to make it reasonably efficient. Making the HPM slightly lower than PoH and CoH will ensure it gets used but isn't the Holy Priest's first choice for AoE healing unless that extra bit of throughput is really needed. HPM similar to 2.5 Renews would probably work well - on the upside, you can heal multiple people with one cast GCD which you can't do like renew, however, the healing is over a longer time (18s) and requires people to stay in the circle. Assuming at least 3 people stayed in the circle the whole 18s, this would also make it more mana efficient to use in that situation than Renew.

• Leave the Mana cost as-is, but increase the healing it does significantly. <- This is my least favorite option. This would cause the spell to get occasional use, but the benefits and usage would be heavily in favor of well-geared priests who would be much more liberal in its usage.
Edited by Yetari on 3/29/2011 1:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Paladin
Should just hand it to the druid designers and let them make it smart like Efflo. Done.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/26/2011 10:20 PMPosted by Highbeams
I know they redesigned the graphic.

'nuff said. that's all we healers ask for. new animations. We'll be totally fixed then!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
03/29/2011 9:50 AMPosted by Laixx
EDIT: Just checked World Of Logs and most of the top priests healers only uses the following spells: Prayer of Healing, Circle of Healing(holy), Power Word: Shield(disc) and Prayer of Mending. Are the developers happy with this design? If they used any other spells it was less than 5 times.

Ok so... everything priests have capable of AoE healing got ranked as their top heals. News at 11.
Raid damage is pretty intense in a lot of encounters - especially hardmodes.
Naturally, top priests are going to make the best use out of their most effective spells to combat this.
I don't see what the problem is.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest

It's boring. That's the problem. At least in Wrath we got to use a variety of spells. Now we spam PoH.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
03/29/2011 1:10 PMPosted by Anohako
Should just hand it to the druid designers and let them make it smart like Efflo. Done.

Druid's appreciate the efflo redesign for a different reason though, and that's the gap it helps to plug in their healing style.

In my opinion the largest problem with HW:S is that the value of the heal itself is less appreciable than PoH/CoH/renew. Low HP/non smart heal ticks over 18 seconds of localised ground healing is simply less compelling than targeted burst or smart burst healing, which priests will always have the option to cast as an alternative. Damage pattern of heroic encounters play so well into a priests arsenal that the value of HW:S in it's current incarnation, even if buffed, will never outweigh PoH/CoH due to the way they work mechanically.

Even if the mana cost of HW:S was lowered I still dont think the spell becomes compelling enough to cast. If they redesigned it like efflo then priest's targeted smart healing overall would probably feel too strong, or at least too much done on the priest's behalf.

It's good the devs are looking into it though.

No, I quit the game because the developers can't be bothered to do their jobs.

Grow up. Let us all know when being self entitled and short sighted gets you anywhere in life. And if you have quit then quit for good, stop posting useless clutter on the forums.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

It's boring. That's the problem. At least in Wrath we got to use a variety of spells. Now we spam PoH.

Wrath at the end was Renew spam and using CoH and ProM on CD. At the very worst healing is now PoH spam with CoH and ProM on CD. Renew, PW:S, Lightwell and all our other long CD heals are also useful. The only spell we were using before that we aren't really using now is FH. Priests healing hasn't been this dynamic since Ulduar.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest

There are two things that have to be dealt with here: 1) Holy priest AE healing is pretty decent as-is, and 2) we don’t want Sanctuary to be so similar to Healing Rain.

Maybe it's just me, but HW:S IS healing rain. It works in exactly the same way, just worse. You might as well call it Healing Drizzle.

The problem is that Holy Priests already have great AE healing and can cover just about every situation. To make HW:S worthwhile you would have to make it better than something we already have and we currently have the best. Obviously that's not going to happen.

Ultimately I think HW:S is going to get Holy Nova'd. Buffing/changing to be another AE spell would make priests OP and it doesn't fill any real gaps. Years later it's still going to be worthless aside from creating pretty sparkles.

The sad thing is that serenty is a pretty good spell and fills a huge gap in the H priest arsenal, but it rarely sees any use because you spend 95% of your time in AE healing stance. You already made chakra pretty much permanent, might as well just put the final nail in the coffin and kill sanctuary with serenity in both stances. It's going to hurt some developers ego, but the entire concept behind the mechanic is already destroyed, might as well bury what's left.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Paladin
03/29/2011 2:53 PMPosted by Hoticehunter
2) we don’t want Sanctuary to be so similar to Healing Rain.

This seems weird to me that Sanctuary being similar to HR would be a problem for Blizzard. It was one of the three ground heals introduced in 4.0. All three were introduced at the same time as a new mechanic. They were all fairly similar from the start, except that Efflorescence couldn't be placed.
I always figured the similarity between the 3 was intentional, given the homogenization of the "main 3" healing spells: big, fast, and cheap.

Seemed pretty intentional to me, too. Who knows!
Reply Quote
Dunno if this has been said to lazy to look threw all the pages. But mayb like a small dmg reduction buff to players inside of it, or like a spell casting pushback protection. Or reduce peoples global cooldowns inside of it by .5 sec. Could be OP but just a thought
Reply Quote
I had a talk with the devs about this very issue yesterday, and they are well aware of this subject, and tend to agree with those of us (one of my mains is a holy priest) who have noticed that Sanctuary could do with a buff.

Again, the devs agree that a modest buff is a fair solution, although it is hard to know when or by what magnitude such a buff might come along.

Would you please relay the message to the devs that if they're planning on buffing HW:Sanctuary and then nerfing PoH again because Holy Priest AE healing would becoming too good, then I think I can speak for every single Holy Priest worth a damn in this game when I say:

We don't want a buff to HW:Sanctuary, leave our PoH alone!
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Priest
Maybe they could increase healing generally received within the circle by x amount rather than have it as a direct heal. If you have to spend that much mana on it, it better be worth casting.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Have Lightwell give a smart heal charge to those standing in sanctuary like the ToC lightwells. have it keep normal functionality except for those in the sanctuary.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Without making Sanctuary a Healing Rain clone you can buff it quite nicely. Simply put, you just allow our Echoes of Light (our Mastery) to roll like it did when the Cataclysm patch was initially put in for targets in the Sanctuary. Lower the healing of the actual spell a smidge, but let any incoming heals stack the HoT for the duration of the Sanctuary. That way it requires upkeep and fits the way Holy plays. High upkeep, high reward. Low upkeep, low reward. The spell itself wouldn't be better than Rain or Radiance, but if the targets inside of it were able to stay within the radius during the entire duration it could potentially be much better. Most of the time though only a decent amount of rolls will be enabled since Cataclysm's encounters are fairly mobile and it would even out between high and low to be equal to Rain. The spell would be nothing like Rain and fit the spec perfectly.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
03/29/2011 9:50 AMPosted by Laixx

That is because single target spells like Greater Heal and Flash Heals cost %#%* ton of mana and heal only one person. While prayer of healing/CoH/PoM cost about the same amount of mana and are smart heals.

People don't bring holy priests for single target heals anyways. They bring them for AoE burst heals.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]