HW: Sanctuary

89 Undead Priest

EDIT: Just checked World Of Logs and most of the top priests healers only uses the following spells: Prayer of Healing, Circle of Healing(holy), Power Word: Shield(disc) and Prayer of Mending. Are the developers happy with this design? If they used any other spells it was less than 5 times.

this

shouldn't you be looking at buffing holy priest single target and nerfing prayer of healing, the mechanically broken spell that both specs of priest healers are carried by?

But if they nerf PoH, we disc priests will be devastated. We don't have CoH or HW:Sanc. Just PoH and maybe some bubble blanketing for predictable AoE damage.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Looks like they're straight buffing sanctuary. While I <3 buffs it just seems wrong giving priest more anti burst healing. If they buff Sanctuary to actually be worth casting then we'll just use it right before the big AE so that it's ticking while we bomb PoH and CoH. I'm sure nothing will go wrong by giving the strongest burst AE healer another tool that allows them to put more raid healing into the same amount of time.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, I'm surprised they just straight buffed it. Kind of want? It's still going to be very inefficient.
Reply Quote
This really irks me. HW:S needed a buff, my mains a priest I know. But what the hell. Paladins and druids and shamans are way worse off in a lot of places, some more than others, I don't see how you guys were gimped by not casting it in any way. But some classes and specs don't even have a spell to begin with. I.E a druids tank cd. Other classes are getting zero responses on their issues, I.E Paladins with: mastery, PvP, AoE healing, Scaling, and a priest posts on the forums about their one useless spell and almost immediately its buffed with a blue response and no sort of nerf to compensate. Its crazy it really is.

But congrats. You deserved it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
In regards to >>> Holy Word: Sanctuary healing done has been increased by 35%. In addition, it has a new spell effect.

This is interesting. I can find benefit in a buff. The major discussion was -- reduce the mana cost or buff its healing. Now Holy Priests have to make a decision: spend more mana for more throughput or not. Right now it makes no sense to spend additional mana for a mediocre spell, but come 4.1 there is reason to cast it. It adds more choices and really that's always been the appeal to playing a Holy Priest.

Too, since the lack of an efficient raid save that H Priests have, we could use more stability in our throughput. Come 4.1 Disc will be using Barrier less and Druids will be using Tranquility more; Shaman get a totem that re-distributes health and decreases damage...all of these abilities are at 3 minutes (Apparently they're happy with where Pally's are) while Divine Hymn stays at 8. Just think about it for a minute and ask yourself if you still find discomfort in the Sanctuary buff.

For the people that are still aggrieved, here's an idea: instead of placing your Sanctuary on top of the groups that you're targeting with PoH and CoH, why not cover MORE people by Sanc'ing one group (maybe melee) while PoHing and CoHing another (ranged )-- kill two birds with one stone. Just a thought. I mean, it's not like priests have ever been able to cover a lot of ground before with their spells. Right?
Edited by Iove on 3/30/2011 9:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
In my opinion, in order to make Sanctuary a viable spell in the long-term, they need to buff it's spell-power Coefficient. It has practically none right now, may as well be a trinket or item for all the scaling it gets. The devs can decide exactly what magnitude to buff the coefficient, they can even nerf the base healing to compensate, but that is the portion of the spell that needs to be looked at most.
Reply Quote

Looks like they're straight buffing sanctuary. While I <3 buffs it just seems wrong giving priest more anti burst healing. If they buff Sanctuary to actually be worth casting then we'll just use it right before the big AE so that it's ticking while we bomb PoH and CoH. I'm sure nothing will go wrong by giving the strongest burst AE healer another tool that allows them to put more raid healing into the same amount of time.

Wtf. What's with all the priests who ALWAYS complain when we get a buff. Just enjoy it, jesus. If only holy pallies could learn a lesson with their endless qq lately.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
New test realm notes went up with the following:

Holy
Holy Word: Sanctuary healing done has been increased by 35%. In addition, it has a new spell effect.

I don't think a 35% increase is enough to warrant dumping 9k mana on this one ability.

and its only a 100hp increase per tick.
Reply Quote
Okay so.

The animation has been fixed AGAIN and looks a hell of a lot better now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuZu7B23N38

they added a soft penance ish effect behind the sparkles and the writing on the floor, I like it.

Maybe not as much as the other one I liked the aurora sort of effect, but this one is not disgusting :)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuZu7B23N38

they added a soft penance ish effect behind the sparkles and the writing on the floor, I like it.

Maybe not as much as the other one I liked the aurora sort of effect, but this one is not disgusting :)

wow... i think... ill reroll holy lol!
Reply Quote
Efflo doesn't look half bad either. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPhiNhpj4aI&feature=related
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I had a talk with the devs about this very issue yesterday, and they are well aware of this subject, and tend to agree with those of us (one of my mains is a holy priest) who have noticed that Sanctuary could do with a buff.

There are two things that have to be dealt with here: 1) Holy priest AE healing is pretty decent as-is, and 2) we don’t want Sanctuary to be so similar to Healing Rain.

Again, the devs agree that a modest buff is a fair solution, although it is hard to know when or by what magnitude such a buff might come along.

Also, tell the devs to fix the priests issue that any idiot that can spam Prayer of Healing can top the meters. I think the spell is pretty healing effective and you don't need brains to make use of it and just by spamming that, it makes a ton of healing and when everyone looks at the meter everyone is like "omg" but when it comes to encounters like theres not that much AoE damage but big single focused damage, they fail miserably.

EDIT: Just checked World Of Logs and most of the top priests healers only uses the following spells: Prayer of Healing, Circle of Healing(holy), Power Word: Shield(disc) and Prayer of Mending. Are the developers happy with this design? If they used any other spells it was less than 5 times.

If there are more than 3 people with damage that needs to be healed, which is frequent in the Cata encounters, then PoH is the right choice. It has nothing to do with priests trying to force a square peg into a round hole - it is just what they are supposed to do.

If you are assigned to raid heal, which priests excel at and are typically requested to do, what would you expect to see up there? With the raid wide damage do you want them to use Greater Heal more for the sake of diversity?

Typically my breakdown is with either CoH or PoH leading my top % of healing done with about 25-30 percent. It is usually followed by whichever wasn't first, then third is typically Renew. Fourth is often Echoes of Light or PoM (I seem to have horrid luck with it bouncing pointlessly off the tank so it usually doesn't get high on my list). All in all my spellbreakdown is quite balanced and I am pleased with the number of buttons I am pressing.

I would say that WoL probably reflects some old data, rather than the current usage. I don't believe HPriests, unless they have some insane amount of regen/mana pool would be spamming PoH for as many casts as you seem to suggest (since you suggest they seem to use it to the exclusion of all else and in situations it isn't merited).
Edited by Tamagahara on 3/31/2011 5:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
New test realm notes went up with the following:

Holy
Holy Word: Sanctuary healing done has been increased by 35%. In addition, it has a new spell effect.

I don't think a 35% increase is enough to warrant dumping 9k mana on this one ability.

and its only a 100hp increase per tick.

The mana cost was always my biggest concern. I'm ok with HW:S being weaker than Healing Rain or even Efflorescence since that spell requires a bit more skill, but at the end of day if casting HW:S isn't a smart decision, I'm not going to use it. Even with this buff it's not worth the mana.

Because this spell has such a low healing amount as well as a long(ish) CD, I don't think it's at risk of throwing off Priest balance if they decide to lower the cost. In that video I made I was using HW:S pretty much on CD, with all but 1 of them being near full effectiveness. It was only ~5% of my total healing done. Like I mentioned before, if they can get the efficiency to be on par with our other filler heals, this should be a neutral buff. The decision won't suddenly be "Use Sanctuary all the time!". You would still use spells like renew and PoH, and then use HW:S when people are grouped.

Btw, if it really is getting 100 more healing per tick, then they probably only increased the base healing by 35%. With no haste scaling and a low coefficient, this spell is only going to get worse over time.
Edited by Highbeams on 3/31/2011 7:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
<ul/>

Wtf. What's with all the priests who ALWAYS complain when we get a buff. Just enjoy it, jesus. If only holy pallies could learn a lesson with their endless qq lately.

Imagine, new patch notes, swiftmend cost 9k mana to use if you put points into efflorescence, but it will heal for 100hp more per tick, would you really cast it anymore or even bother putting points into it? It's not an issue of the healing we wanted. For a spell to cost 9k, and be subject to position and a long ass cooldown, who cares if it heals for a slight bit more. Hell if it cost less and did less healing, priest might use it to in between other aoe heals. As it stands, we're better off using poh
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Has anyone else noticed but Sanctuary is not proccing Echos of Light currently on the PTR. Not sure if this is an intended change or a bug. Can anyone else confirm?
Edited by Cailleach on 3/31/2011 12:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
03/31/2011 12:46 PMPosted by Cailleach
Has anyone else noticed but Sanctuary is not proccing Echos of Light currently on the PTR. Not sure if this is an intended change or a bug. Can anyone else confirm?

It's not working in this person's video either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q07hxhuN6bQ

I'm assuming it's a glitch, because if it no longer benefits from mastery it will actually be doing less healing than it did before the "buff". A 600 tick yields about 120 mastery healing, and the spell has only been buffed by about 100 healing.

And while I'm in here, the new graphic (although very nice) still looks a bit too small. Here's an image showing the actual effect area vs. the spell effect. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Fredrick_NP/hwsgfx.jpg

I'm guessing if they were to scale it up anymore it would look pretty over the top, but I don't know. The smallness bothers me. Maybe only scale up one of the particle rings?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I'm assuming it's a glitch, because if it no longer benefits from mastery it will actually be doing less healing than it did before the "buff". A 600 tick yields about 120 mastery healing, and the spell has only been buffed by about 100 healing.

Yup I was just going to check out the numbers for this myself.

Edit:

quick test showed

On live with the same conditions (food flask gear IF). HW: Sanctuary with EoL healed me for 8740

On the PTR (food flask gear IF) with the current buff. Sanctuary without EoL healed me for 7092.
Edited by Cailleach on 3/31/2011 2:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
quick test showed

On live with the same conditions (food flask gear IF). HW: Sanctuary with EoL healed me for 8740

On the PTR (food flask gear IF) with the current buff. Sanctuary without EoL healed me for 7092.

Seriously? So it's actually nerfed?
Wow...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]