Ask the Devs - Answers #3 "UI"

85 Orc Hunter
I have been thinking about this for a while, seems like a great idea.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
You guys should make authenticaters bigger like ALOT bigger

I type my authenticater code in and throw the authenticater across the room screaming "LEEEROOOYYY JEEENKINS"

Then i spend the next 3 hours looking for it
Reply Quote
29 Blood Elf Paladin
03/28/2011 09:05 AMPosted by Bashiok
We debate the quest item issue a lot.

err.. wat?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Nice one.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Q: Milling and Prospecting are incredibly dull and very manual tasks at present, especially when you do them in bulk. Speaking as a scribe, the entire manufacturing process from herb to pigment to ink to glyph is both time-consuming, boring and sending me well on my way to repetitive stress wrist and index finger injuries. – Keb (North America/ANZ), googce (Taiwan)

A: Yes, we totally understand why this is a problem. The reason we can’t make it work just like other trade skills, is that we don’t know which herbs and ore you want to use. If you have some cheap ore and some very expensive ore, we don’t want to accidentally use the expensive ore. There are a few ways to fix this. One is we just redesign Milling and Prospecting. If they were recipe-based, then we would know exactly which material to use. It would also add a huge list of repetitive recipes to your Professions pages. We could also make some kind of new UI (think of something simple, like the Reforging UI) to let you drag and drop the materials you want to use. The advantage of the “box” solution is we could also use it for Disenchanting.

I would really like this box to be in the guild bank. Especially for enchanting, preferably allowing BoP items to be dropped in.

I would also like to see the 'pigment' stage of milling disappear. Maybe require more ink per recipe, but it's a usless stage of the material without some other use for pigment. Alternatively, allow us to sell it to tailors to make dye with.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Q: Milling and Prospecting are incredibly dull and very manual tasks at present, especially when you do them in bulk. Speaking as a scribe, the entire manufacturing process from herb to pigment to ink to glyph is both time-consuming, boring and sending me well on my way to repetitive stress wrist and index finger injuries. – Keb (North America/ANZ), googce (Taiwan)

A: Yes, we totally understand why this is a problem. The reason we can’t make it work just like other trade skills, is that we don’t know which herbs and ore you want to use. If you have some cheap ore and some very expensive ore, we don’t want to accidentally use the expensive ore. There are a few ways to fix this. One is we just redesign Milling and Prospecting. If they were recipe-based, then we would know exactly which material to use. It would also add a huge list of repetitive recipes to your Professions pages. We could also make some kind of new UI (think of something simple, like the Reforging UI) to let you drag and drop the materials you want to use. The advantage of the “box” solution is we could also use it for Disenchanting.

What about making milling and prospecting like the smelting UI. For example list the ores in prospecting. Though IMO for milling you could list the desired pigment's or the herbs, though I know there are tons and tons of herbs.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Guilds housing IMO, so I (we) can all store all of our unused sets of gear on stands.. Like a suits of armor in the 'house'

Only a dream.

I just don't know why this isn't a step Blizzard has taken yet - If an 8-bit game like Runescape can handle this mechanic, I don't know why WoW can't.
I.E using what we call instances in wow as the place for each individual house.

The higher level the guild, the bigger your guild house.
Certain guild achievements = certain upgrades to your guild house

Oh god, the endless possibilities !

Not to mention the RPers would have a freaking heart attack.

IMO the reason they have not is cost. To implement that feature that they would have to build and upkeep "Guild House" servers just like they have instance servers.

Secondly, memory, the game is already storing a lot of stuff server side and if the guild had a house or w/e all that data would need to be stored on the server not your computer. Frankly memory cost money, servers cost money, implementing the feature would cost lots of money. So I wouldn't expect Guild or personal houses any time soon, and if they do come out with it I would expect it to be like the mobile armory (eg cost you extra cash to get)
Edited by Enkakuchiryo on 4/13/2011 1:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
04/05/2011 05:39 AMPosted by Dokenif

I'm extremely dissatisfied with this answer. Perhaps a better question is why hasn't the inventory system been revamped to get past the clunky bags? You use a file system analogy. Well there are bag mods that provide a virtual layer of a file system so you no longer have to deal with the raw bag storage. I personally use Baggins with its all-in-one preset. I can set up all the categories I need while it automatically sorts items into those categories and by rarity. If there's any one mod I can't stand WoW without, it's that one.

I couldn't agree more. While I use arkinventory, which sounds somewhat the same as your bagggins, it is the addon that must be working for me. I especially like that it tells me when I mouse over an item (whether a recipe requirement or something in my bag) if I have it in my bank, in my bag, on any of my other toons, or even if my guild vault has some and which tab or how much. I'd love to see blizz incorporate something like this into the bag system, but I can also see where they'd be hesitant. Arkinventory is the addon that takes up the most memory-something like 5x my next highest add on memory requirement.

See now I really like the multi bag system bc it allows me to sort items based on how I use them. if its all in one or I have to click buttons to only see my ore that would waist my time.

I would like to see bliz let us replace the default bag with our own or add another bag slot.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
could we vote out the devs and make you guys hire new ones? maybe we could all buy 51% of the stock and replace you all! it's obvious you guys feel you balanced the classes, but i am sorry you cant do that w/o makeing two different talent trees. one for pve and one for pvp. as far as new players go, that may get "confused" well thats gonna happen anyway. the game is complex so you have to learn. give experienced players our hybrid specks back and let the newbies keep these new talent trees with less points, and confusion
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Why require you to collect bear asses instead of just incrementing the bear asses counter?

Hilarious, Blizzard :D
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Death Knight
I'm actually quite pleased with the answers. Although, I don't really see the point of this. Seems awful pointless, when time could be invested elsewhere.

Q: Would you please implement a feature that allows players to change the order of their characters on the Character select screen? – 흑풍육손 (Korea), Fanahlia (North America/ANZ), Perle (Latin America)
A: Sure. Does 4.2 work for you? :)

the point of these little things is to stop the devs from going nuts with sheer walls of programming, and to placate and shut up players who complain a lot, so, once again, employees don't go nuts
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
"Why require you to collect bear asses instead of just incrementing the bear asses counter?"

rofl.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

well actually you already have the set up for it but your not using it the same way think of mining you have smelting you have a completely different "recipe" window to smelt all your ore into bars well you could easily make that milling or prospecting button open a recipe window instead of making you click on a stack of plants or ore. then inside the recipe window you would have the list of plants much like individual smelts (ie mill peacebloom) then people could mill what they want and even choose how many of that item they want to mill or prospect. But the point is you already have the button for it so changing it would not be a big change to players available button slots

Also i could see a possible way to change out the Profession UI so it didnt require having a button for each one have a profession button and when its clicked the profession window appears with a drop down list of your available professions from Blacksmith to Cooking that could potentially free up 7 spots that players had to previously set aside if they dont want to open up their spell book every single time they want to make a few bandages and an option similar to one add-on i find very useful is give us an option to custom sort not just the drop down windows allow us to make a special list of recipes we use often and put them at the top of the list "instead of having to scroll threw all 300 tailoring recipe to get to the cloth then dream cloth then back up to the dreamcloth bags or epic gear."
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Why require you to collect bear asses instead of just incrementing the bear asses counter?

Please say bear asses in every post in the future. I got a secret jolly from seeing it in blue font.

<3
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Death Knight
Great feedback and everything. Allowing passive ICD abilities to be dragged onto your bars and have a Cooldown timer attached to it sounds like the best possible solution.

Any eta on that implementation?

lol blizzard doesn't give eta's
Reply Quote
87 Undead Mage
I lolled
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]