Ask the Devs - Answers #3 "UI"

I've long favored (and previously suggested) a Horadric Cube style item for Enchanting. It would be convenient for simple disenchanting, and might be a pathway towards more interesting options. Certainly this wouldn't be a bad idea for prospecting or milling, either.
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Priest

[b]Q: Would you please implement a feature that allows players to change the order of their characters on the Character select screen?
– 흑풍육손 (Korea), Fanahlia (North America/ANZ), Perle (Latin America)
    A: Sure. Does 4.2 work for you? :)

If only everything was this easy. About time.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I'm actually quite pleased with the answers. Although, I don't really see the point of this. Seems awful pointless, when time could be invested elsewhere.

Q: Would you please implement a feature that allows players to change the order of their characters on the Character select screen? – 흑풍육손 (Korea), Fanahlia (North America/ANZ), Perle (Latin America)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'm actually quite pleased with the answers. Although, I don't really see the point of this. Seems awful pointless, when time could be invested elsewhere.

Q: Would you please implement a feature that allows players to change the order of their characters on the Character select screen? – 흑풍육손 (Korea), Fanahlia (North America/ANZ), Perle (Latin America)

So if you were to transfer an 85 to another realm where you have all lower level characters, and then your 85 that you just transferred over appears at the bottom of them all; this wouldn't bother you? :P

I just did this and it drives me nuts to have my 85 at the bottom and a level 58 or so DK at the top...
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

Q: Will the Defualt UI ever be moveable and re-arrangeable without the use of mods? – Ruind (North America/ANZ)
    A: We are taking baby steps in that direction. We already allow you to move the focus target, and in the 4.1 patch we will let you move your player frame (your health and resource bar) and your target frame as well. We also allow quite a bit of customization of size and position with the party and raid frames. If you consider what the screen looks like with every possible UI element turned on at once (including things like the durability dummy and Arena team frames) there is almost no space left to actually see the world. If we allow players to start moving every element around, it would be very easy to stack elements on top of each other and obscure information. More hardcore players probably understand this risk and how to fix things if they break the UI for themselves. The challenge for us is making sure that players who really shouldn’t be messing with their UI don’t stumble into it. If you aren’t in the game industry (or maybe even the software industry at large) you might think it’s as simple as burying the check box deep in the options or adding a big, red “I screwed up! Please reset me!” button. But we can assure you that it’s not.

Just wanted to say thank you for answering my question. :D
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage

I'll be very happy if this does happen in patch 4.2. I have been wondering myself for quite some time if a feature such as this would be made available. Glad to hear it is in the works. =)

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
03/28/2011 10:16 AMPosted by Eloderung
means player housing is coming!

You may be reading to much into that.

YES!

Very nice!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Q: What if there was a separated target system? For example, if I can set defensive and offensive target at same time then I don’t have to switch target to use heal or other emergency skills for our friend no matter what target I’m attacking. I think this feature is especially useful for some classes, such as Retribution Paladin and Shadow Priest. – Whitewnd (Korea)

A: We understand why that might be beneficial, and some games have gone that route, but we’re not huge fans of the idea for a couple of reasons. One, it just adds more complexity to the UI, which you can see from previous questions is something we’re trying to remain vigilant against. More importantly, we like players having to make the choice of who their target is. We don’t want to make the game so smart that harmful spells always seek out enemies and helpful spells always seek out allies. We do this in a few rare cases, like Discipline’s Atonement, but in general we want players to make the second-to-second choice about whether they are playing offensively or defensively.

Kind of a thin excuse, really. Things like Healbot and Grid + Clique already allow people to do that, really.

The biggest issue is for the melee hybrids. Dropping your target as a Shadow Priest or a Balance Druid doesn't cost much other than the time taken to reacquire the target. But for the melees, dropping your current target stops auto-attacking, and that can really have an impact on the flow of battle that isn't present for caster hybrids.

It also just complicates healing (particularly for DPS-to-Heal mechanics) by making it really awkward to toss out damage while healing.
Edited by Deveo on 3/28/2011 10:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue

WOOHOOOO!!!!

FINALLY!!!!
Reply Quote
4 Undead Warlock
I have to admit that as unsatisfied as I am with the questions that were answered Blizzard had an Ace in their sleeve. As long as they announced that we'd be able to reorder our toons come 4.2 they knew that it would deflect 90% of the criticism.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
03/28/2011 9:05 AMPosted by Bashiok
You might be alerted to when Atramedes emits a Sonar Pulse, but you don’t know where it is going to be.

It's gonna go to where the group is stacked at the moment while the group walks to the side a bit to stack on the other side. :p
Edited by Saberan on 3/28/2011 10:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
03/28/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Breathless
I have to admit that as unsatisfied as I am with the questions that were answered Blizzard had an Ace in their sleeve. As long as they announced that we'd be able to reorder our toons come 4.2 they knew that it would deflect 90% of the criticism.

It's not like they have to even answer questions, heck they could just delete this forum altogether and save a ton of money.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Here's another question:

Currently, you give us a form of Power Auras which light up spell icons on procs, etc, along with an on-screen animation.

When we make macros using those abilities, the spell icons no longer light up on procs, even when we use the "#showtooltip ABILITY X". Any chance that this will be fixed in 4.1?

Thanks,
Reply Quote
12 Undead Mage

So if you were to transfer an 85 to another realm where you have all lower level characters, and then your 85 that you just transferred over appears at the bottom of them all; this wouldn't bother you? :P

I just did this and it drives me nuts to have my 85 at the bottom and a level 58 or so DK at the top...

Just push the up key? Doesn't really seem to be that bothersome.
Reply Quote
60 Goblin Priest
I think you answered the questions a lot better this time around.
Reply Quote
27 Blood Elf Priest
As much as I liked the news that we'll be able to reorder our toons come 4.2, I can't help but wonder the choice of words they used to answer the question. This is a question that was being asked at every single Blizzcon since 2006, and yet they sound surprised each and every time they answer the question as if they were hearing it for the first time.

Why did it take 4+ years to implement this?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

Just push the up key? Doesn't really seem to be that bothersome.

Push the up key for what? The question wasn't talking about character selection but changing the order in which they're listed.
Reply Quote
82 Night Elf Druid
Any chance on an update to warlock pet bars and the inability to place their powers in the pet bar slots?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]