Ask the Devs - Answers #3 "UI"

Q: Would you please implement a feature that allows players to change the order of their characters on the Character select screen? – 흑풍육손 (Korea), Fanahlia (North America/ANZ), Perle (Latin America)

A: Sure. Does 4.2 work for you? :)

You can break everything now. This will make up for it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
03/28/2011 10:16 AMPosted by Eloderung
means player housing is coming!

Lol wtf no. Try an "RP" tab.
Reply Quote
Q: Would you please implement a feature that allows players to change the order of their characters on the Character select screen? – 흑풍육손 (Korea), Fanahlia (North America/ANZ), Perle (Latin America)

!!!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Would you please implement a feature that allows players to change the order of their characters on the Character select screen? – 흑풍육손 (Korea), Fanahlia (North America/ANZ), Perle (Latin America)

Awesomesauce.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
yes, lets make the game play itself while we are at it. Who needs a keyboard and mouse after you hit that "auto-play" button anyway.
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Druid
03/28/2011 9:05 AMPosted by Bashiok
Why require you to collect bear asses instead of just incrementing the bear asses counter?

I know it's immensely childish of me, but i just giggled like a 5 year old hearing a teacher say a bad word.

Finally!
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
Q: What if there was a separated target system? For example, if I can set defensive and offensive target at same time then I don’t have to switch target to use heal or other emergency skills for our friend no matter what target I’m attacking. I think this feature is especially useful for some classes, such as Retribution Paladin and Shadow Priest. – Whitewnd (Korea)

A: We understand why that might be beneficial, and some games have gone that route, but we’re not huge fans of the idea for a couple of reasons. One, it just adds more complexity to the UI, which you can see from previous questions is something we’re trying to remain vigilant against. More importantly, we like players having to make the choice of who their target is. We don’t want to make the game so smart that harmful spells always seek out enemies and helpful spells always seek out allies. We do this in a few rare cases, like Discipline’s Atonement, but in general we want players to make the second-to-second choice about whether they are playing offensively or defensively.

Kind of a thin excuse, really. Things like Healbot and Grid + Clique already allow people to do that, really.

The biggest issue is for the melee hybrids. Dropping your target as a Shadow Priest or a Balance Druid doesn't cost much other than the time taken to reacquire the target. But for the melees, dropping your current target stops auto-attacking, and that can really have an impact on the flow of battle that isn't present for caster hybrids.

It also just complicates healing (particularly for DPS-to-Heal mechanics) by making it really awkward to toss out damage while healing.

How do mouseover macros not already solve this problem though?

#showtooltip Spell Name
/cast [@mouseover,help][help,nodead][@player] Spell Name

It will attempt to cast a spell on the target (player or party/raid frame). If you aren't mousing over a friendly target, it will attempt to cast the spell on your current target. If you aren't targeting anyone or your current target is hostile, it will cast the spell on yourself.

You can even alter the script in the same fashion for your problem with healers trying to toss out damage while healing.

#showtooltip Spell Name
/cast [@mouseover,harm][harm,nodead] Spell Name

With that script you can keep your tank as your primary target, mouse over an enemy and shoot off a quick Smite without switching targets. It will attempt to cast the spell on your mouseover target first. If you aren't mousing over anything, or are mousing over a friendly target, it will attempt to cast it on your current target if it is hostile.

You can even alter the macro again for more complicated spells like Penance or Dispel Magic that can be used on hostile and friendly targets.

#showtooltip Spell Name
/cast [@mouseover,help][@mouseover,harm][help,nodead][harm,nodead][@player] Spell Name

This works exactly like the above. It will attempt to cast the spell first on your mouseover target (hostile or friendly), then on your current target if you aren't mousing over anything, and finally on yourself if you aren't mousing over or targeting anything.

Mouseover macros make everything much better and smoother. If you've never used them, you only have to start being aware of where you're placing your mouse. Doesn't take long to get used to.
Edited by Virajin on 3/28/2011 4:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Nice, I'm glad we're finally seeing some movement on... well, movement. Of UI elements, that is. The inability to move things around in the UI is one of the biggest barriers to playing without addons, for me. It's not just an aesthetic thing; I play on a really big monitor, and there is a point where the corners of the screen are just too far away to keep an eye on while handling everything else in a raid.

Also, yes, please do add countdown numbers to the action buttons! After all these years, you still need an addon to clearly show this basic and vital information. Maybe my eyes are bad, but the "sonar" cooldown indicator is practically invisible to me.

It would also be nice to see something like DoTimer incorporated into the default UI. The lack of this makes classes that depend on periodic effects extremely difficult to play without addons. If I could suggest just one major addition, it would be that.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
So no reply to the colorblind support? The answers given to the questions ask was pretty weak considering there was a good number of questions that SHOULD have been answered. Also worth noting the max number was not even reached.
Reply Quote
03/28/2011 9:22 AMPosted by Search
bear asses
what?

The bear asses are mentioned in a post on MMO-Champion about the questing evolution and nature of the expansions. It went SOMETHING like this (this isn't exact, can't find the post).

Vanilla: Collect 20 bear asses.
Burning Crusade: Collect 20 bear asses IN SPACE!
Wrath of the Lich King: Use this vehicle to annihilate 20 bear asses.

Dunno if the quest that Bashiok linked came before or after. Also can't remember if there was a joke about it for Cata.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Q: What if there was a separated target system? For example, if I can set defensive and offensive target at same time then I don’t have to switch target to use heal or other emergency skills for our friend no matter what target I’m attacking. I think this feature is especially useful for some classes, such as Retribution Paladin and Shadow Priest. – Whitewnd (Korea)

A: We understand why that might be beneficial, and some games have gone that route, but we’re not huge fans of the idea for a couple of reasons. One, it just adds more complexity to the UI, which you can see from previous questions is something we’re trying to remain vigilant against. More importantly, we like players having to make the choice of who their target is. We don’t want to make the game so smart that harmful spells always seek out enemies and helpful spells always seek out allies. We do this in a few rare cases, like Discipline’s Atonement, but in general we want players to make the second-to-second choice about whether they are playing offensively or defensively.

There are currently ways around this, though. For example, I dedicate an entire hot-key to Hand of Freedom. F casts it on my mouse-over if I have one, and on myself if I don't; ctrl F uses it on one arena teammate, and alt F on another (this is for 3v3); and finally shift F casts it on my focus, the best use of which is in battlegrounds to support the FC without the hassle of switching targets back and forth.

While I use five of these macros, most damage-dealers don't need anywhere near that many. A rogue may need one for Tricks of the Trade, and a warrior one for Intervene. All the rest of their defensive abilities are used through controlling opponents. For these, they need to simply set their focus to an enemy. The issue is as a Ret Paladin I need to use this second type of macro as well. I have focus hotkeys for Rebuke, Repentance, etc.

The hotkey wizardry I need to compete in cutting edge PvP is very frustrating. If the developers would simply add a second target for allies, or even a second focus for allies, it would go a long way. Please reconsider your position on this because currently this aspect of the game is unnecessarily more complicated for certain damage-dealers such as Rets and Shadow Priests.
Edited by Hofleurette on 3/28/2011 5:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

YAY!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Will there ever be an option to show an enemies health as a percentage as well as a numerical value? This would be very helpful on many boss encounters for classes/specs such as Feral Druids, Assassination Rogues, and so on that have rotation changes towards the end of a fight. It is nice to see an actual value to the health pool so that one can gauge about how long the fight has left as well as being able to decide when to use Heroism or other moves that are often used at the end of fights. As a whole, I believe that Blizzard has done an excellent job thus far and I feel that this is one of the few issues (though a bit minor) as of late.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
03/28/2011 1:23 PMPosted by Bifurious
If you aren’t in the game industry (or maybe even the software industry at large) you might think it’s as simple as burying the check box deep in the options or adding a big, red “I screwed up! Please reset me!” button. But we can assure you that it’s not.

Weird, that's exactly the way you reset the UI in Rift.

Yeah. Granted I don't know everything about UI coding, but it seems like a simple matter of assigning default coordinates to an anchor for each element and tying those into such a reset button.

All the values that each element of the native UI returns are inherently accessible via LUA anyway. That's why we have addons like MoveEverything. You're telling me that the people who code this game would have a hard time coming up with a first party version of a simple addon like that?

Of course, that assumes that the Blizzard UI was written with half a brain's worth of forethought in the first place. Which, based on this response, it doesn't look like it was.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]