Ask the Devs - Answers #3 "UI"

85 Night Elf Hunter
So excited for both! the char screen change has been something I've wanted for years now! Definitely NOT interested in player housing, but a wardrobe or closet so we can keep full gear sets would be AMAZING! Go blizzard! <3
Edited by Hazelra on 3/30/2011 5:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I had suggested this a while ago.

How about a 36 slot bag that is JUST for World event items (or items tagged as world event) such as the summer wear, easter baskets, Dire brew machine remotes, etc.

I have almost 2 bags full of just world event items that are soulbound and can't be given to a mule character.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
yay, ive been waiting for the moveable characters, on the selection screen for a few years now... it seems so simple, and very useful that its odd that it wasnt added sooner.
Reply Quote
if any addons violate the reasoning behind the game design these do without a doubt alot of the pvp addons need to be removed.. besides friendly raid addons or group addons quite simply a program should not tell you or alert you to what an enemy player is doing. Yes even Gladious needs to be examined much closer.

You realize that the BLIZZARD enemy arena frames show you who's casting what right? as far as having a diminishing return tracker and even watching ability cooldown's can all technically be done by the person, it's just easier to keep an eye on them with an addon that shows a timer. It's really not that different from having an addon that shows you when your OWN abilities are coming off cd and really shouldn't be considered an extreme advantage over anyone else. Also, having the useful utility to bind a few mouseclicks (like interrupts or cyclones) to those frames should (in my opinion) be added and supported by blizzard themselves.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Mm.... 4.2.. I'll have to add that to the list of things I should worship. Blizz rocks.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Q: Are there any plans to expand on the current mail system? It's rather cumbersome to have to withdraw, one-by-one, my mail when I have pages of it. – Patrïck (Latin America)
A: This sounds like it is really an Auction House problem. The mail system is intended to be a little throttled and slow to discourage spam and junk mail, and works just fine for “real” mail between friends, alts or guildies. The problem is the design choice we made to hitch the mail system to the Auction House. Players dealing with a high volume of commodities have no choice but to deal with tons and tons of mail (and this is particularly bad for diverse commodities with low margins, like glyphs). We are discussing different ways the Auction House can work, but we’re not convinced the right answer is just to make the mail system more automated.

I have a possible solution for this. Instead of having the AH linked to the mail system, each toon could have an account on the AH. It would be like a new tab in the AH UI. Any money you get from auctions would me deposited at the bottom kinda like the gold part of the guild bank. You could then draw that gold out when you choose.

Just like the Auctions tab where it shows what auctions you currently have in the AH, it would list all the items that expired without selling. You could then click on the item to remove it to your bags. There could also be a "Relist" button. This would allow you to put the item back on the AH again at the same min bid and buyout.

There could also be a "Relist All" or "Collect All" button. These would allow you to relist all the item that are currently expired or collect them all to your bag inventory. As always, you don't want people using this to store things. Put a time limit on having items in there like you do with the mail system. After 30 days, it disappears. That will give people an incentive to not let it sit in there for storage.
Reply Quote
31 Undead Warlock
They should make prospecting part of mining so they could use the same UI just different subset. The same as an herbalist should be able to mill. After all fishermen can cook without using up a profession.
Reply Quote
80 Human Death Knight
03/29/2011 02:44 PMPosted by Kaj
Shoot. I missed the window to ask about a "Level Off" button. With all the flying and swimming, it's really annoying when you either lift off or hit a gradual hill and you're suddenly climbing into the stratosphere or diving into the pavement. A keybind to horizon would be nice.

THIS! Gawd.. It was never this bad pre-cata... now I can barely even *stay* level.. even once levelled, all of a sudden, I'm either swimming in place (since some reason the camera decides to point up) or swimming down, when the camera decides it should be looking down... Grrr!) and it's even worse for gnomes for some reason - almost always end up drowning any time I simply jump in the water..

to paraphrase a quest title from WOTLK .. Absholutely, thish needs fixed!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I understand a lot of what the Devs have said here. Mostly because I've played other MMOs. Harder ones. I can respect what they say.

I see that at the response to offensive defensive targets, I read: "Can you make the game easier and more automated for me?" It really ruins gameplay and sets you apart less in terms of skill. Player decision is integral to every game ever made. Stop trying to make a machine do it for you.

I also understand that they don't want to clutter the UI and that's why I try and use as few AddOns as possible. (That and memory limits). I do wish they would integrate bartender into the main game though. So I can keybind whatever, wherever on my screen I want it. Also so I can keep the fancy Blizz art they have right now. (I have to disable it because it doesn't fit properly :( )
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Q: Are there any plans to expand on the current mail system? It's rather cumbersome to have to withdraw, one-by-one, my mail when I have pages of it. – Patrïck (Latin America)
A: This sounds like it is really an Auction House problem. The mail system is intended to be a little throttled and slow to discourage spam and junk mail, and works just fine for “real” mail between friends, alts or guildies. The problem is the design choice we made to hitch the mail system to the Auction House. Players dealing with a high volume of commodities have no choice but to deal with tons and tons of mail (and this is particularly bad for diverse commodities with low margins, like glyphs). We are discussing different ways the Auction House can work, but we’re not convinced the right answer is just to make the mail system more automated.

I have a possible solution for this. Instead of having the AH linked to the mail system, each toon could have an account on the AH. It would be like a new tab in the AH UI. Any money you get from auctions would me deposited at the bottom kinda like the gold part of the guild bank. You could then draw that gold out when you choose.

Just like the Auctions tab where it shows what auctions you currently have in the AH, it would list all the items that expired without selling. You could then click on the item to remove it to your bags. There could also be a "Relist" button. This would allow you to put the item back on the AH again at the same min bid and buyout.

There could also be a "Relist All" or "Collect All" button. These would allow you to relist all the item that are currently expired or collect them all to your bag inventory. As always, you don't want people using this to store things. Put a time limit on having items in there like you do with the mail system. After 30 days, it disappears. That will give people an incentive to not let it sit in there for storage.

I will go with this and furthermore, top it. All the buttons you mentioned and similar should just be on the top. Instead of clicking the item and THEN clicking relist. It should just be the first thing you click. There is plenty of space on each item row in the mailbox for this to just be thrown in there.
Pardon me if this is what you meant.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
These question and answer posts are one of the best things Blizzard has ever done.
Interesting to read and nice to hear from the people that actually do all the work.

Thank You
Reply Quote
A slider has been added to allow scaling of shoulder armor size.
Reply Quote
94 Gnome Mage
I didn't read all the of the comments on here so maybe someone else mentioned this already.
I did read a few and a lot of them were either complaining the answers were not detailed enough or were not what they wanted to read.
It might just be me but they actually did not answer any of the questions at all, it's all misdirection. All the "answers" contain things they could do and don't actually specify anything they are actually going to do to resolve any of the issues mentioned. It was like watching a bunch of politicians at question time trying to promote their election "promises".
Reply Quote
94 Gnome Mage
There is an addon called postal that completely empties your mailbox with one click. In the options you can select what type of mail gets auto collected.
It also keeps track of the last 10 people you have sent mail to so if you accidently mail the wrong person (doesnt really happen now with the autofill name feature) you can check who it might of been.

So the option is already there with an addon, blizz should just make it part of the game already....
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Q: What if there was a separated target system? For example, if I can set defensive and offensive target at same time then I don’t have to switch target to use heal or other emergency skills for our friend no matter what target I’m attacking. I think this feature is especially useful for some classes, such as Retribution Paladin and Shadow Priest. – Whitewnd (Korea)

A: We understand why that might be beneficial, and some games have gone that route, but we’re not huge fans of the idea for a couple of reasons. One, it just adds more complexity to the UI, which you can see from previous questions is something we’re trying to remain vigilant against. More importantly, we like players having to make the choice of who their target is. We don’t want to make the game so smart that harmful spells always seek out enemies and helpful spells always seek out allies. We do this in a few rare cases, like Discipline’s Atonement, but in general we want players to make the second-to-second choice about whether they are playing offensively or defensively.

and people complain you guys are making this game easier...d(-_-d)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Q: Milling and Prospecting are incredibly dull and very manual tasks at present – Keb (North America/ANZ), googce (Taiwan)

A: Yes, we totally understand why this is a problem. The reason we can’t make it work just like other trade skills, is that we don’t know which herbs and ore you want to use.

I have an idea stemming from the fact that Inscriptions & Jewlecrafting are the only "3-step" professions (eg, Blacksmithing = mine + craft, Jewlecrafting = mine + prospect + craft).

How about building a keybind into the right-click we use to mine/herb (eg ,<SHIFT>+Click) that automatically prospects or mills the node as you collect it? It could also be included in the Interface menus as a option like autolooting, maybe?

Regarding herbs & ore already in bags, or purchased on AH, I like the idea of the drag-n-drop UI. Perhaps we could have a miller and a prospector NPC in the major cities that we can drop ore and herbs into and they convert en masse for us?
Edited by Taggath on 4/2/2011 7:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
the idea of implementing a change to the mill/prospecting function is a really good one. i have a character with both jewelcrafting and inscription, and having to mill/prospect 4 times for 1 stack when u have 10 of, say, whiptail, (which i've had more than that at times :)) gets really old after awhile.
Reply Quote
31 Goblin Shaman
Q: Would you please implement a feature that allows players to change the order of their characters on the Character select screen? – 흑풍육손 (Korea), Fanahlia (North America/ANZ), Perle (Latin America)

A: Sure. Does 4.2 work for you? :)

Absolutely! Thanks!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]