I am Bored with WoW

100 Night Elf Priest
I am bored with WoW.

Frankly, there's nothing for me to do besides raiding. I log on, I look around, and if there aren't people on to talk to, I log off.

I have no need or desire to do heroics, becuase I get more VP than I know what to do with and I have more gold than most people will ever need. Not to mention I already use said gold to supply the guild bank with flasks.

There are no more obscure "cool" achievements to work on. What do I mean by this? Well to be honest, to me achievements are only worth it if two things happen: one, if they give something such as a mount or a title or an item; or two, if other people care about them. And when I have all the mounts or titles, and when other people don't care about achievements, they become meaningless.

In Vanilla, there was the elusive Winterspring tiger. Or grinding some obscure rep to get some super nifty or cool enchant or pattern that was highly in demand and profitable.

In Wrath, there was the Insane in the Membrane. Yes, I did it, but I did not do it nearly as hardcore as some of the people who did it. It took me some 16 months to do it, 4 to 5 times longer than people who did it and only it. But the fact is, everytime I had a spare hour or half an hour, I had the option to work on it.

Hell, I've done obscenely stupid things just for pretty shoulders. Why am I a Field Marshal? Because I wanted Field Marshal shoulders because they looked hot in shadowform and had the glowy parts. Yes. That's the main reason I pvp'd for months. (Of course, I burnt out and refuse to ever pvp like that again).

Further, I am pretty much alt capped. It's true I only have one level 85 alt, but I have several more who are 78-84. And of the 10 allowed on this server, I have only one who isn't in said level range. I don't really have a desire to get to 85, because once you hit 85 there is nothing to do but raid.

I also think Looking-for-Dungeon killed a lot of the social interaction and base in WoW. Some of the best people I met were because of random pugs and obscure 5-mans. Hell, some of the people I recruited to Exodus/Ruin were because of this. Hell, I even recruited a priest in greens and blues from a 5-man to come raid in Sunwell. (True story, ask Nyx).

Why do I log on? Well, I still do like raiding. And for once, I think raiding is interesting and fun. I wouldn't say this is the second coming of raiding, becuase I don't think it is. But at least Cataclysm raids are far more interesting than most of the last 2 years (Ulduar being the main exception).

What do I want to see?

Well, I want more character slots for one. Yeah, it's nice that I have 10, but that means I can have one of each class for Alliance, what about my Horde homeboys?

I want another Insane in the Membrane type acheivement. I don't care if it took 10 years to complete, as long as it offered something unique, cool, special and rare and as long as I can work on it here and there for the next 20 years, I'd be happy.

I really don't think Blizzard can fundamentally altar LFD. While I think it has it's evils, it also has it's benefits and I am pretty aware of it's benefits. Personally though, I would love if the LFD preferred to group people on the same server together. If a tank from Dragonblight queues, the LFD system should prefer to palce said tank with DPS'ers and Healers from Dragonblight. In my opinion, that's the only reasonable fix to LFD (short of it's removal, which I completely DO NOT advocate for. It is a necessary evil).

Most of all, I want things I can work on while being solo. And this is coming from someone who is die-hard fan of 40-man raids and who has been raiding with top-200 guilds for the past 5 years.

Shiva aka Physique (previously known as Starfire)

P.S. I'd like to put two addenums. Why am I posting this on here? Well frankly, I think either a Blizzard poster is going to delete it or I am going to be trolled endlessly by some random forum trolls -- which of course will get it deleted as well. Either that, it makes me feel better to put this on some obscure Blizzard forums. I don't at all think anyone from Blizzard will ever read this, but at least I put it somewhere in a small corner on their forums.

Second, I feel I should mention Archaeology. The tragic flaw in Archaeology: 90% of the time is spent flying; and time spent flying is time spent AFK, watching tv or surfing the web. Archaeology is not interactive at all. It does not really take or need my attention, except to point myself in a direct and occasionally click on survey. Archaeology really isn't the answer. Maybe if it had more puzzles and mini-games of some sort, it might be. But alas, Archaeolgoy is more like AFKology.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I pretty much agree with all of this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I as well, and I'll probably edit this later with more expansive thoughts.

A vast amount of time was devoted to the leveling game, but not nearly enough thought was put into end-game players.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
03/29/2011 11:56 AMPosted by Samayael
I pretty much agree with all of this

In my opinion one of the most stupid ideas blizzard have came up with (while in its convenience it is still dumb imo), was of course the dungeon finder. I liked doing 5 mans and most the time it wasn't with just the same people. I remember the first time I did Shadow Labs and how frustrated I was with Murmur who I thought was really hard then. While in frustration it was a great feeling when we downed him. I remember back in the days of Shatt, or even Wrath till late 2009, LFG Heroic daily, not sitting there tabbed out while I wait for a god damn DPS queue because it is so long. Like you said the interaction is how I too met most of the people i know on Dragonblight. Now playing SC2 for most of my week till saturday when I log onto raid. Raiding is what made me stay with this game after 70, even after wiping many a time to Grand Astromancer.
Edited by Wisedeath on 3/29/2011 1:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I'd disagree about the DF being the most stupid thing Blizzard came up with (that belongs to arenas imo). I personally think it's a great thing but it does have problems that Physique mentioned. Having that solution of preferring players from your server would be a hell of an improvement over what it has now, but I think it needs some way of better measuring skill. In early Cata you had people basically saying "lolwut" to the ilvl requirement and just equipping PvP gear, and that's one thing I think should be fixed. Not allowing someone to queue for a heroic until they've beat the normal version of that place (for places that have that option of course; hard to do with places like ZG and the classic heroics), better ways to track skill, and someway of adding further incentives to tanks and healers to PUG would all also be ways of improving it.

Even then though, there'd be people like most raiders who don't even bother with queuing for heroics at this point since they don't really have a need for VP anymore. I'm not exactly at that point, but I just don't care enough since the only remotely possible upgrade would be boots and cloak, and there are better options from raids. You'll see people queue up again in 4.2, but by that point you'll just be guild queuing for the Zul heroics (assuming they still give 140 per random).

It needs help, but I think it's one of the best things they have added to the game.

imo

also the game needs more beards there aren't enough and this displeases me

also chainswords, that'd be sweet

or chainsword chucks

yeaaaaaaaaaaa
Edited by Samayael on 3/29/2011 3:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Inc post about general things to please the great Physique! (also lots of rambling, and some qqing)

Personally, I really enjoyed playing with people from our server. It was a pain to get groups together sometimes, but I dislike queueing for a random, zz healing, not talking to anyone, leaving and being done with it, with the idea I will probably never see those people again. I enjoy the social aspect of WoW.

UBRS (10 man!) was one of my favorite things. You had to find 9 other people and someone had to have a key, but the place itself felt epic. "Dear god, don't step on the eggs," the arena thing with waves, Beast (sacrificial gnome ftw), the hunter failing at kiting.. it was fantastic to me.

I will agree about archaeology fail, there are so many ways that it could be improved.

Alts are boring, there is nothing to do on them I can't do on my main, nor does anyone want to do anything with anyone but my main. I have no reason to do dailies anymore, rep grinding was ridiculously easy. I liked BC because you had to get the keys for heroics. Also, I remember heroics in BC as being cooler. Whether they were, or the fact that I am looking back at the time, or the fact that I mostly did them with friends (dear friends, stop quitting), they didn't feel so boring, now it's just trash boss trash boss trash boss whee loot afk in SW some more.

And new achievements would be fun. World achievements, social achievements, I don't know. Changing up the world and leveling zones when Cata hit was neat, but only occupied my time for a week, and actual leveling zips through them so fast it doesn't really matter. Questing is super linear now. Everything is grouped up, there's no travelling halfway across the map to get something from some guy and take it somewhere else, etc, you hardly have to travel halfway across a zone.

I hate heroic raids. It's just learning content with minor changes I have already completed, and doing the same thing week after week. I have nothing to do with my VP.

I guess my main complaint overall is that WoW just feels lame. It is not as cool as it once felt to me. Whether due to my outlook, or the game itself, dungeons, raids (SSC was my favorite!), rep grinding, questing and leveling suck.

In conclusion! Dear Blizzard, please give me a water raid. Throne of the Tides is awesome looking. Also, give my draenei pally his horse mount back. Elekks are gross.

/end ramble
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
if you havent done arenas you havent even started to play wow imo
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
03/30/2011 3:43 AMPosted by Arghack

A brilliant and well thought out retort, my good man. Clearly you have the most informed opinion of the game.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I recently used this analogy to someone, but I think it's worth mentioning again.

The gist is: Sometimes it's in the best interest of people to not give us what we want. When I originally said it, it was in reference to some of the mechanics Trion and Blizzard throw at us.

But the analogy is, it's often in the best interest of the Owner of the Candy Shop to not give the little 5 year old all the candy or chocolate in the world. Why? Because what happens when the 5 year old has a belly ache or a rotten tooth or any other malaise and grows in disgust of candy?

Well the Candy Shop just lost business, and not only did it lose business, it probably lost a lifetime of business.

The Owner has competing interest, short term versus long term; but in general it's in the Owner's best interest to not give the 5-year old everything he wants. To just give him a little bit and then tell him no more until tomorrow.

I think as players, a lot of us lose sight of this. We're all the 5 year old in the candy shop and we want everything. But we often don't realize what happens once we have everything. Too much of something is a bad thing.

And on that same note, if we don't have to work for something, then it also loses meaning.

Alasia spawned this comment, but, maybe WoW has just become too easy? Everyone just "teleports" into dungeons now. You don't have the cool UBRS questline to get the key. And lest we not forget, the cool part of summoning Vaelaen to fight Rend. Before Alasia mentioned it, I had forgotten how awesome that questline was.

Everything that was hard got nerfed to the ground -- which in the case of raiding is okay, becuase there's constantly new raiding content to replace it. That is, it's okay that Molten Core can be solo'd. Even Insane in the Membrane has been repeatedly nerfed. All the old reps were butchered as well. But worst of all, nothing replaced them.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Yeah, I think so. I think WoW was made "easier" so Blizzard had a chance at attracting new, and more, players. They created things like the hardmodes to satisfy those seeking more than the easy modes, and obviously altered the game in other ways, but I think a lot of the changes were made to seek out more players. But I suppose that is always the goal of changes.

Side note, you know what I hated at the time but now I miss? The epic run to IF on new night elf characters. F those orcs.

(Also, Phys halp work is boring.)
Edited by Alasia on 3/30/2011 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Druid
Just chiming in. I agree, the game is horrendously boring now! The only enjoyment I get is raiding with my longtime friends.

The rep grinds being easier is what kills it for me. Getting exalted with all the factions a month after the xpac comes out is dumb. Heck, I never even got exalted with all the BC factions, and I played way more then. It was nice to have something to work towards.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
<3 Zertoss
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hardmodes, when introduced with Ulduar they were quite actually what they were named after
"HARDmoad". Now when ToC came along with the normal and heroic saves it got kinda nerfed (minus Anubarak 25 and Valkyr Twins 25 for people that like balls in their face). Of course ICC was a pushover after buff was implemented but ICC 25 was I must say a BIT of a challenge on a few fights before it got #@%!d with the nerf bat. I like the ideas and activated hard mode, or you have to do something special during the fight that makes it hard. Rather then the heroic and normal, this raiding content most fights have lots of new abilities on heroic mode so its not that bad. Even though this raiding content is just.....annoying must you say. If Firelands doesn't pick it up for me it might be done on my part (I was anxious the return of ZG and ZA but sadly I heard they are quite the easy mode). D:

P.S. WTB the usefulness of a paladin's buffs agian. This whole everyone has the same buffs *%*# is quite annoying imho. and Divine Intervention WHARU? :(
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Well, I do like the current tier of raiding. But I do agree I miss the raiding of yesteryear a lot more.

I miss 40-mans.

I miss having 10 and 25-mans separate, as well. I loved being able to just casually do Karazahn or Zul'Aman on offnights or with alts. They were just really fun. Ditto UBRS back in the day. Heck, I've been playing since UBRS was "serious" content. (Really, my first guild was a "big deal" because we'd do two UBRS raids per a day...).

And in my post, I commented I thought Ulduar was amazing. A large part of that is because Ulduar wasn't ~just~ 14 bosses, it was more like 24 bosses. Don't tell me Alone in the Dark is anything like Four Lights Yogg-Saron, becuase it wasn't. Niether was doing Steelbreaker-last.

Icecrown for me was fairly boring, there were only 3 bosses I found genuinely fun, and one of those is counting Halion. Professor Putricide and Lady Deathwhisper at 0% were genuinely fun though, but even at 0% a lot of those bosses were pushovers.

Eitherway, I am a pragmatist. I know Blizzard will never go back a lot of those things. Blizzard won't ever bring back 40-mans and I highly doubt they will ever bring back separate 10 and 25-mans.

I am not going to set myself up for failure. I know those things won't happen, so why bother even hoping for it? They're just not feasible or possible in today's day and age.

What I do want though is a reason to log on. And a reason that doesn't involve raiding. Because if I am only suppose to log on for raiding, then I guess I'll log on for 3 hours every raid day and never be on otherwise.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
no game is endless and u sound as if you've done everything twice
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Many games do actually have an end, this being a MMORPG there is no real "ending" but after 4-6 years of the same !*#! it kinda is doing everything twice imo. Some instances and raids are very fond memories for me but most of it is just move out of fire, pew pew more, oh crap gotta pop coodowns, more move out of fire, etc.,.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Alasia, why aren't you actually working at work? These forums are boring...Actually, all the forums are boring atm. D&R is QQ about the imbalance between 10&25, or people QQ'ing about easy bosses and how hard they are. These forums are only filled with guild recruitment spam, I don't know how so many guilds are currently recruiting. It used to be the main 5-10 guilds on the server but now the entire front page is just one guild after another looking for people.

Heroics are boring, as long as the tank is half competent now I don't care what other dps are doing.

I agree, alts aren't really interesting. I have 2 85's but no interest in putting effort into the Shaman, and the thought of leveling the pally just makes me cringe a bit. I have a 30-something warrior that's taken maybe a dozen hours to get there (and I'm a notoriously slow alt leveler) because of the xp bonus from guild/BoA/I kill everything in 2 hits and victory rush heals me for a third or more of my health every time something dies...it's not even remotely interesting. The redone zones are kinda cool? But at the same time I'm outleveling them before I can finish quest chains because of the boosted xp. I should be doing orange zones but everything is so linear I have no idea where to head any more o.O

The reps WERE far too easy this go round. Took no time at all and there is nothing to do outside of raids, I agree. And then, since there's nothing to do, there's never anyone on. And since there's never anyone on, there's no reason to be on, and it just reinforces itself. Then! people QQ about guild xp being slow. /sigh@daily cap on that %@%! and raid content taking 1 1/2 days right now.

Anyways, I need sleep before the raid (speaking of which) so that's all folks. I agree, maybe we can all hope that WoW v.1 is going to be killed after this expansion and we'll see something slightly more fresh and different.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I completely agree with everything you've stated Physique. LFD, while useful, has destroyed any semblance of server communities. This expansion has plenty of gold sinks, but time sinks were thrown out the window in favor of reps you can max in a month (I was 25% to exalted Therazane BEFORE I hit 85).

The 1-60 experience is fun, but that only lasts so long, and there's only so many times you can stand to do it. There's also so many times you can stand to do outland/northrend (Hint: Once) before your mind melts.

Raids are also pretty damn fun, with some of the most ingenious (and also the MOST buggy at times) mechanics Blizzard has ever designed. The problem is, I can't log on anytime I want and demand a raid; our 10man is 3 times a week. The other 4 days I don't even bother logging on anymore. Once you get past Heroic 5mans, which takes just a few weeks, there is literally nothing else at 85 for a PvE oriented (which I'd say is WoW's largest appeal) player. I made Champion in Vanilla, I played Arenas in TBC and fell just a hair short of Gladiator, and I spent many hours in Wintergrasp during WOTLK. Nothing new and exciting was added to the PVP side of things, new BG maps with the same gameplay, and Tol'barad is a zergfest mess with watered-down Wintergrasp elements.

My last complaint, which is sure to be controversial to many, is homogenization. This game was much more enjoyable when every dps wasn't spamming 2-3 abilities then waiting for the "OMGSHINYLIGHT" proc (Sudden Death, Bloodsurge, Pyroblast, Mindfreeze, Arcane Missles, Maelstrom Weapon, Lava Surge, Master Marksman, Lock and Load, Killing Machine just to name a few from the alts I play). They are all the same mechanics, just presented with different wrappers. I can't even bring myself to level alts anymore, because they all play almost the same. Same thing with tanks: everyone has AoE threat abilities, snap aggro abilities, and shield wall "-% damage taken" abilities (though I might be mistaken on bears, please correct me if I'm wrong, never touched a druid).

Everyone brings 3-5 buffs that that everyone else brings, most of them passively with no thought from the player. This must sound ironic coming from a shaman, the class that probably sparked this whole thing due to Bloodlust which opened the floodgates for other lesser buffs to be spread around, but I think Bloodlust is too large of a buff for any class to bring and personally I thought it should of been a Power Infusion/Unholy Frenzy type of spell.

Take it for what you will, but homogenization has been my number one reason for becoming disenchanted with this game.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
03/30/2011 03:43 AMPosted by Arghack

he pretty much hit the nail on the head. stop slaying generic dragons and try something that actually takes skill.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest

he pretty much hit the nail on the head. stop slaying generic dragons and try something that actually takes skill.

Hey, your comp counters my comp! Unless you make a huge game-shattering mistake, even if I play perfect you will win 9/10 times.

"skill".

2500 rated priest in 3's, before you say I am not qualified to state that.

Now... not losing your mind after wiping because Toast stood in fire for far too long for the third time in the last hour takes skill.

Edit: Also, <3 Physique!
Edited by Jolah on 4/1/2011 7:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]