I am Bored with WoW

92 Draenei Shaman
I agree Physique. Not only has the game gotten ridiculously easier, the dungeon finder essentially ruined all social aspects of the game for me anyways.

I clearly recall in Vanilla, pugging people to do UBRS or some other random dungeon. That is how you found the good players if your guild was lacking numbers. Now it's logging in and doing a random dungeon with a bunch of asshats and occasionally you will maybe find a good player out there on a different server.

I haven't had the opportunity to see a whole lot of cata raid content, however, at this point I feel I already know what it's like...if that makes any sense. Im not saying bring back Vanilla, just saying I too am bored with wow. In the last 3 months I have logged in maybe five times...
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
I don't think it's 10 man raiding per se that's killing 10 man guilds. I know you said that you weren't making a judgment either way, just stating it as an observation, but that's kind of like saying "Obama MIGHT not be an American citizen, I don't know, I'm just making an observation." You're implying causality.

I'd rather not make 10 man raiding the bogeyman here, which I know is a tendency of the more elite 25 man guilds. The issue with a lot of attrition and quitting in the 10 man world is with the guild experience issue and not the type of raiding, even though raiding might be the conduit for the 10 man guild.

It seems currently that guilds tend to be one of three makeups (PVP guilds, forgive me, I'm lumping you in with #3).

1) 25 man raiding guilds. These guilds tend to have many active members, as one would expect with 25 raiders, benched raiders, friends of raiders, and casuals there for perks. This leads to about a minimum of 50 and possibly a maximum of 100 unique people capable of logging on at a time.

2) 10 man raiding guilds. These guilds often seem to have the 10 key raiders, maybe 1 or 2 benchers, and the few friends who are displaced or are holdovers from previous expansions. This leads to about 10-20 max players at a time.

3) Casual guilds. These guilds recruit anyone (like Hustle and Flow, for example) just to bolster their ranks and tend to do things like frequent 5 mans and PVP or just social questing (and there is nothing wrong with this).

As in "most" (not all) cases, guild 1 will be more progressed than average guild 2 (and have more available raiding spots or app spots), and both guild 1 and guild 3 will be at guild level 25 faster than guild 2 for the aforementioned reasons, most of the available players filter quickly into guild 1 and 3, while guild 2 will have few to no people on outside of raid nights. An extension of this is that even on off-nights, guilds of type 1 and 3 will still have an appreciable number of players on, and the social aspect fuels the game. This usually leads to guild of type 2 folding, which is what we are seeing.

TL/DR
The current guild experience in Cataclysm is causing the available playerbase into established 25 man guilds or large amalgamation casual guilds, where 10 man raiding guilds end due to lack of playerbase and social aspects.
Edited by Nilbog on 4/29/2011 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I am not stating causality at all, and neither are you really. What you just asserted is a correlation and what I observed was a correlation.

But if you want my opinion, I'll state it.

I don't think most 10-man guilds are built for what it takes to be "serious". 11 or 12 "key" people is seriously flawed. If you want to run a serious progression oriented 10-man, you need at least 14-15 people. And people with good off-specs as well. I don't mean part-timers either, I mean people that log on with 80-90% attendance who are skilled and geared.

I don't think most 10-mans go after these serious kind of progression, and they end up hitting brick walls, causing them to stall and stagnate. Stagnation is bad. It leads to tedium and tedium leads to boredom.

I think a lot of this is perception. 10-man guilds might struggle heavily to sustain a 14-15 man roster, because applicants/individuals think "man 4 out of 10, those are terrible odds -- I don't want to ride the bench". What they don't realize is a 25-man guild that has a 32-35 man roster has the EXACT SAME RATIO. It's a perception problem here.

Also, it's much easier to have a tight-knit group of friends in 10-man. This intimate settings causes two complications:
1.) the sudden realization that your close friend of 4 years is not as good as they/you thought they were -- come on, no one wants to be told "they suck" and it's extremely hard to say something like that to a close friend unless you're cold and/or ruthless.
2.) the "I don't want to sit my close personal friend because I like him/her so even though we have 3 of x class and need y class, I don't want to recruit y class" and/or "even though person of y-class is on, I like person of x-class better so they will stay in the raid"

The thing is, while there are certainly perks to this intimate setting, the friendship/bond, etc. Both of those things severely inhibit progression. And when progression stalls, the game gets boring and very fast.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I think I can fairly say that about 95% of the people I started playing this game with are long gone(and I don't mean transferred, I mean long since quit). I find myself wondering why I am even still paying for my subscription really....when the majority of my time is spent sitting in Durotar or in BG's solely for HK's, theres a serious problem. Granted, my guild finally fell apart so I am not raiding pve content, but even if I was, I wouldn't be enjoying myself.

This game peaked and is on a slow-but-sure decline, its obvious by the way Blizzard is phasing out traditional themes that Physique has touched on (long questlines, heroic keying, stupidly absurd timesink meta-achieves etc). In the first 4 years I played this game, my rogue was shelfed at L60 and I never played him, mainly because there was SO much to do on my main that I never had time to play the rogue. I hate alts, most people will tell you that, because I always have. So when someone who genuinely hates levelling and alts in general starts having multiple 85's, you know things have really gone downhill. The problem is, there really isn't anything out there in terms of new MMO's to switch to.

I think I am finally starting to realize after 11 years of hardcore gaming in EQ and WoW that it was never really about the game(s) at all. It was never about the new dungeon or the new dragon or the new bg map or the new weapon etc, it was about feeling like a part of a much larger whole. Having a constant network of friends online that I could talk to, vent to, argue with, laugh with, raid with, quest with and on and on. Now that the majority of my original friends and guildies are gone, my guild has finally fallen, and I stand here alone trying to figure out where the last 11 years have gone. Its a very surreal feeling, and I don't much care for it. :(

Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
The irony is that I think my new guildtag describes how I currently feel about WoW the best, and in only 2 short words.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
A small victory!

Many players have stated since the release of the Dungeon Finder that they like the convenience of being matched for a group automatically, but they miss the feeling of community when they're paired with strangers from other realms with whom they might never speak again. So we made a slight change in the way the Dungeon Finder sorts through the queue matching players for a dungeon.

Patch Notes.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest

I think I am finally starting to realize after 11 years of hardcore gaming in EQ and WoW that it was never really about the game(s) at all. It was never about the new dungeon or the new dragon or the new bg map or the new weapon etc, it was about feeling like a part of a much larger whole. Having a constant network of friends online that I could talk to, vent to, argue with, laugh with, raid with, quest with and on and on. Now that the majority of my original friends and guildies are gone, my guild has finally fallen, and I stand here alone trying to figure out where the last 11 years have gone. Its a very surreal feeling, and I don't much care for it. :(

Couldn't agree with this more. We can pick at what aspects of the game could be improved, etc. But at some point, people will move on due to real life obligations, and regardless of what Blizzard implements, these people won't come back. Eventually less and less people will play, which will hinder the guild, raiding, pvp, social experience of the game. It's gotten to the point where Blizzard is losing more customers than they are gaining.

I came back after 3-4 month hiatus, just to quickly re-experience the old BC dungeons (read: #*#% and pillage ZA and ZG in blues). The game is just not the same anymore. Pugs: the skill level of the people that I've encountered was just simply atrocious. I roll into Ogrimmar and I don't see any of the half-decent guilds that used to be on this server. Instead, I see a lot of people just running around in blues (like myself)/alts. And there's just simply less people everywhere. What happened to the days when Ogr./Shat/Dalaran used to be packed? I even miss all the trolls and childish spamming in trade chat.

Honestly they are boasting about how great 4.2 is going to be, but I seriously have my doubts. Sure, some may come back to raid, etc, but eventually people are going to leave again out of boredom/repetition. For once, it seems that blizzard is losing its battle with trying to retain its customers along with the game's novelty.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I miss fishing. I miss Exodus, and I miss you too Physique.

:)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
This thread is fun to read. I just thought id add some noise to it O:
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Phys,

I miss you and I hacked this account simply to let you know. I don't know why I have these forums bookmarked.

-Renazhalissance
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
i am taking a great liking of stalking physique O,o
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I'm not on this Realm but I happened to find this topic threw the search.

Perhaps melodramatic, but here is my wow story:
/story
I started playing WoW because a friend invited me to play. Unfortunately we are on different time schedules, and so never got a chance to play much together. Another friend told me that their alliance toon was on Crushridge, and so I switched realms because I was tired of questing all alone.

In this new realm, my friend invited me to the guild Prototype. I loved it there, we 10-30 people I would have considered my friends. I spent time talking, bantering, and playing with them. It was great. I spend a good amount of time helping my new friend to level their toons up to where I was so we could play together.

After a time, there was a problem with the guild leader, and the guild was disbanded, people said harsh words, and there were misunderstandings. A few of us stuck together and continued playing. But eventually everyone went their own ways.

I started my new guild, put a lot of effort into it, but then Cata came out, and with the new guild perks, the few that I had playing left quickly, to join the "fast" guild for the perks. I have continued to try to make friends, but its just not working. Most people seem to only care about the fluff and leave in less than 24 hours to join a higher level guild.
/end story

So once again, I’m working alone. As others have pointed out, when you RDF you end up with people from different servers. Either no one really talks, because they only care about gaining their points, or if you make a friend, you’ll end up never seeing them again. Trying to find friends threw trade chat feels like prospecting for gold, you have to sift through a lot of junk to find the flecks of gold. And to get into a pug, you have to have the achievement for the instance already, which often requires you to be in a guild to get it in the first place.

I guess I could leave the guild I have put a lot of time and effort into and join one of the “zerging” guilds. But it still isn’t a community when there are over 500 random people, and most are jerks that only care about “what’s in it for me.” I’ve also have read about a lot of them, that the GM only cares about the guild money, that they alone have access too, which is filling from the guild looting corpses. Or others that /mass guild kick once they reach lvl 25.

All in all, without a community of friends, I might as well be playing a single player game.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
^ I've had something similar done in my guild but instead of the guild disbanding I ended up as the guild leader(Go figure) with some ppl under my wing. What makes this all so sad is I feel like I'm too noobish to even be a guild leader. I started playing this game back when BC first launched and then quitted, My hightest toon then was 50 something. I never been in a guild b4 this one, I have no idea what I'm doing for BC content, Wrath content, and durn sure have no idea what I'm doing for Cata content. I've been winging it for the past 2 month :(

The ones in my guild seem so quite. I feel like I be talking to a wall sometimes. -Sigh- But i refuse to give up. I've been slowly making new friends(me and Physique were licking each other in AH yum!) and the more I play the game the easier it become. Guess it just takes time...
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Hunter
I've mentioned this earlier. Dragonblight was once upon a time an awesome community. I can't say that I regret spending countless hours and days playing this game. And not only just playing this game, but being able to hang out with the people Dragonblight originated with.

During the time of BGs, when the alliance had to wait 45+ minutes to get one game of WSG or one game of AB, I had a blast. Those were the best times I had on this game. Yeah, you might think, omg how did you wait 45 minutes for just one BG?
It's because of the people that made it bearable. I remember when WSG was the cool thing and The Epic Crusade way, way before I joined them, were out their camping out, showing off in their shiny gear that everyone drooled over. And just constant duels and duels and miscellaneous things we would come up with doing. Naked raids to the Crossroads, dancing in a certain formation, having fun.

World of Warcraft is a great game, there's no denying that, but it wouldn't be nearly as great if it weren't for the people involved in it. Not the developers, not the Forum mods, even though when they dropped in every so often it was great, but it was all of the people you got to play with and bullsh!t with on vent that made it great.
And you know what? That's probably why I keep coming back, in hopes that maybe at least 5 people that I used to play with would be back on and doing something fun, but those are false hopes. Everyone that I knew back in Vanilla have either transferred off to a different server, or transferred themselves back into RL and have no intentions of coming back to the game.

The one thing that I can say that began the rift between players and their community was the introduction of Cross-realm interaction, i.e BGs, later followed by Dungeons. It was easier to get to know everyone when it was just one server to get to know. Once Cross-realm BGs opened up, we were all trying to figure out those people from JUICE, or some other random guild from a different server.

I'm tired and I'm hoping I'm making sense as I'm typing through this post. I feel I may have been a bit repetitive but that's okay, I'll worry about that later.

To all the people that I played with since Vanilla, much love guys, you guys are the reason this game was fun to me.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Tom, you've made me realize how much I missed (past tense) 40-man raids.

I remember when I first transferred here. Exodus itself was like this lively community. But it was easy when there were sooooo many of us to build our own community.

Sure, there were cliques and various little factions and rivals and what not. But it was really neat little community too.

And as a person who was a Field Marshal in Vanilla, the long pvp queues NEVER bothered me. I always thought Alliance had it easier, we had to play less games to get the same ranks as the Horde. I actually felt bad for the Horde. (It did, however bother me that I couldn't do *!%* on my alts while in queue, like farming or questing).

That's something Rated Battlegrounds didn't bring back. You don't get familiarity with your opponents. People really underrate this.

In the real world, one of the coolest things about NBA playoffs or NHL playoffs are the "Best of 7" series. It's one thing to win a single game, but it's another beast to win 4-5 games. Strategy and tactics have a much stronger emphasis when you can tweak, analyze, predict and then execute a new/different plan against the same team.

I think though, I am just off in dream land. None of these changes will ever happen (and to be honest, even though I am nostalgic about 40-mans and I do miss them, I never want to go back to them -- I think the transition would be painful).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Awwwww, reading this thread brought back so many memories. This was my first server, and i remember so many old school things... As alliance, it was OCK you had to avoid in the BGs and at tarren mill, (before there were bgs)! Or the AVs that would last all weekend and you would sit in queue for forever. Eventually there was the "rank 14" guild on alliance...

My guild raided vanilla content, but we were always behind exodus (and who was the other top vanilla guild, i thought the name also started with an E or maybe it was A?), and getting 40 people together was worth the challenge! Poor silverlock! I miss many of the people i used to raid with in Echelon. Our old guild website... nerfshamans.com

Fighting over world bosses - DONT FLAG!!!! or you will make the whole raid pvp flagged... Back when there was something to fight about.

What about that guy... the one who always talked in 3rd person - the epic troll that he was! His posts were rather entertaining - i think his name began with an F... And the player that got HWL at 59?! Dragonblight used to be a pretty cool place...

How about dramablight forums? I wonder if that site is still even going - or if any of those people still even play - that is when we were a community!!! So many people on there... The guy that always had pictures of him drinking beer while raiding, or the couple that played together, and the bacon! oh the bacon!!!!

But dont let that stupid dungeon finder get you down - Just because its there doesnt mean you have to use it... Start recruiting people in trade - it may take longer, but it may help the nostalgia. Do more guild runs, queue up for BGs in small groups - i know it has helped bring it back for me, and i am just getting back into the game after taking a break for quite some time...

Good luck!!! And if you dont find what you are looking for here, have fun this summer, and maybe we will see you back here eventually.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior

What about that guy... the one who always talked in 3rd person - the epic troll that he was! His posts were rather entertaining - i think his name began with an F... And the player that got HWL at 59?! Dragonblight used to be a pretty cool place...

Flambeau is still around, to the best of my knowledge. Koushi might be, but I haven't heard from him or seen him in forever. *shrug*

05/19/2011 07:20 AMPosted by Cashes
How about dramablight forums? I wonder if that site is still even going - or if any of those people still even play - that is when we were a community!!! So many people on there... The guy that always had pictures of him drinking beer while raiding, or the couple that played together, and the bacon! oh the bacon!!!!

Dramablight is still around as well. Most of the people that were there don't play anymore, but they still frequent the board itself. Red doesn't though, the dirty bastid.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warlock
I also found this thread by searching "I'm bored with WoW but I can't make myself stop", Im not from the server.

I think these posts perfectly sum up why I am bored, and also why I don't want to stop.
I keep wanting to experience something that sadly I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to experience again. Every so often I'll get a little glimpse of what made me love my WoW community, and then suddenly I'm back hating myself for signing up for a random dungeon with people that don't even respond when I say hello.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not alone. :)
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Flambeau has never stopped playing, and probably never will, The problem you guys have is you think you have done it all, seen it all. even Julius Ceasar didn't conquer the world.

To Flambeau there are tons of things to do, but then Flambeau is a grinder, unlike what many of the new people playing this MMO are. They weren't seasoned on Korean MMOs.

Most people played because it was the cool thing back in 2007-8 when Ozzie did the commercial, not the tired !@# looking Chuck Norris which sadly Flambeau doubts Blizzard realizes how well they cast him as a representative of wow players today.

If you find another game, so be it, If you can't, don't whine. No one will care or even remember you in about 6 months after you are gone. You have the right to quit. If you looking for a reason to go, then you most likely are not gonna find it here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]