Spider's Silk drop rate

90 Human Paladin
Could the powers-that-be consider upping the drop rate for spider's silk? It's ridiculously low.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

They've known how low it is for five years, so its intended.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
Funny, I have listed silk, (all types), and they list for tiny amounts and never sell. I am not so sure there is as much need as you might think. I just had some auctions for Wrath and BC silk expire untouched and cheap. I have given up trying to sell shadow or thick silk.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
They have also changed which spiders drop the regular spider's silk. I farmed the spider's in Ashenvale to get the silk I needed for the spidersilk d!*%@ and boots for an alt.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
03/28/2011 12:27 PMPosted by Aresheals
Funny, I have listed silk, (all types), and they list for tiny amounts and never sell. I am not so sure there is as much need as you might think. I just had some auctions for Wrath and BC silk expire untouched and cheap. I have given up trying to sell shadow or thick silk.

the only ones that has been worth anything over the years are "spider's silk" (level 20 ish) and "netherweb spider silk" ( level 60 ish) right outside of shatt.

the 2nd is farmable. the first can be a pita but if you park a level 40 ish toon in a hot spot it is doable.

(i do not know if they changed the farming of these. i paid like 10g a pop to make spider silk boots a month or so ago.)
Edited by Privilege on 3/28/2011 12:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I have to agree - I was out farming Netherweb Spider Silk in Outland (for Imbued Netherweave Bags for my lowbies). I killed (yes I counted) 36 Outland spiders in Terokkar Forest, and had not ONE drop of Netherweb Spider Silk. If Bliz is going to include something as a mat for a profession item, the drop rate should be a bit higher - at least 100% high (50% means killing 18 spiders for 1 drop, based on experience - should be more like 1 drop every four)

(btw - still grinding spiders, as of this writing, up to 40 - still not a single drop)

[Soap Box Mode Disengaged]

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
43, 44 & 46 dropped silk - up to 55 now without any more drops...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Then perhaps you're in the wrong place:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=21881#dropped-by:0-9-8+1

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
05/19/2011 12:43 PMPosted by Shalura
http://www.wowhead.com/item=21881#dropped-by:0-9-8+1

Actually, no... I farm outside of instances - killed every spider I could find in Terokkar Forest, and still only ended up with six Netherweb Silk. Definitely a much-too-low drop rate.
Reply Quote
Another spot that's relatively good (maybe 8% drop rate) for regular Spider Silk is in Wetlands, right near the entrance from Loch Modan.

The main problem is some of the recipes that require it require a ton of it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I hear that - I once killed every spider I could find - twice over (starting at the border of Arathi, killing all the way to Silverpine) - and got THREE Spider Silk. My post was regarding Netherweb Spider Silk, but I think it's pretty much all of them that have an unusually low drop-rate, save Ironweb Spider Silk (of which I still have about 60 in my bank).

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
I have a ton of spider silk in my bank

rare you say?
Reply Quote
Pre-Cataclysm, I had a ton of it too; heck I vendored a bunch of it. Had I known then....
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Interesting - Bliz must have snuck in a hot-fix in the last few days, because I went to Terokkar to farm Netherweb, and got eight drops in about 20 kills - far higher than I'd been experiencing...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I have never had as much trouble with the higher level silks, as I have had with spider's silk. I've farmed in supposedly "hot" spots amd had nary a drop.

That one place with all those spiders by that one quest to free the webbed prisoners, the one sort of behind the Alliance place, has always had a reasonable drop of netherweb for me, if that's any help to anyone.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
We're not talking Nethersilk, we are talking about PLAIN OLD SPIDER SILK.

Blizzard isn't fixing an issue that has been around since at LEAST 4.0.1.

Those who much GRIND with this very scarce (!) material that is not even found on AH's across servers know that they are being stopped dead in their tracks and Blizzard is not listening or doing a thing to stop this game-ending mistakes and deletions. Can't do any further with my tailor, I have to use silk to get PAST these lower levels of "tailor".

Right now my Priest is sitting at about 170 in tailoring, it's taken me over an hour to find FOUR PLAIN spider silks in the Wetlands near the only place on the web that is less than a year old that points to it being the ONLY place to get silk.

Really bad and very, very tedious as well as giving some players a very good REASON, not EXCUSE to find another game.
Reply Quote
The spiders in Duskwood have a decent drop rate for spider's silk. Quite a few of them in the western half of the zone, on either side of the Raven Hill cemetary.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
Actually, no... I farm outside of instances - killed every spider I could find in Terokkar Forest, and still only ended up with six Netherweb Silk. Definitely a much-too-low drop rate.

if you ended up with 6, you did quite well.
(but OT regardless)

The spiders in Duskwood have a decent drop rate for spider's silk. Quite a few of them in the western half of the zone, on either side of the Raven Hill cemetary.

players who have farmed these for years, seem happy with the drop rates in this zone
(it's where i've always farmed for it)
however, the current playerbase which mainly consists of "gen now" players, having to kill 30 or 50 of something to get a drop, doesn't seem acceptable.
if it doesn't drop from every kill, they see it as a bug.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
12/14/2011 08:29 PMPosted by Zerre
Blizzard isn't fixing an issue that has been around since at LEAST 4.0.1.

It's been in since 1.0 in fact, ie never been changed despite being constantly complained about for 7 years. Which means it is intended.

Can't do any further with my tailor, I have to use silk to get PAST these lower levels of "tailor".

Nonsense. There is no point in Tailoring where any kind of silk is necessary to level up.
Make something else. If you don't know what else to make, tell us what skill you are and we can look up Wowhead for you.

Right now my Priest is sitting at about 170 in tailoring, it's taken me over an hour to find FOUR PLAIN spider silks in the Wetlands near the only place on the web that is less than a year old that points to it being the ONLY place to get silk.

Silk Headband or Small Silk Pack to 175, then you're on to Bolts of Mageweave. Don't be scared of yellow patterns, they give you a skillup most of the time and are often actually the most efficient route to skill up on.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
the little spiders in naxx drop a ton of spider silk and you can solo all the adds upto the bosses.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]