Launcher not loading WoW

85 Gnome Priest
I've had this issue for about three days now; the only thing about my system that has changed is that I moved it to another room, and upgraded to Firefox 4. I have a suspicion that somehow or another, Firefox 4 might be the cause of this conflict.

Periodically, I will go to launch WoW, the launcher will load, I'll press play, and nothing happens. The launch will vanish as it usually does, but WoW doesn't load. I don't even see any Warcraft related processes in my Task Manager. If I try to load the launcher again, it to does not open and I don't see any process appear for it in the task manager.

In order to load WoW, I have to reboot. If I launch WoW before I open anything else, smooth sailing. If I open Firefox 4 first, it seems to be 50/50. I've also noticed more crashes when logging out/exiting game when I have Firefox 4 open.

Any ideas why that would be? And if it isn't Firefox, any clue what might be the issue?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Do you have all of your windows updates? Even if you don't use Internet Explorer it needs to be up to date for WoW.

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
Edited by Keldin on 3/28/2011 12:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Microsoft Update tells me I have no updates available, optional or critical.

It just happened to me again, forcing me to reboot. It seems to happen most frequently when I launch Firefox 4 before I try to use the launcher, or if I exit out of the game completely and try to restart from the launcher after having used Firefox 4.

It's not a huge issue, but it's incredibly annoying.
Edited by Marcoma on 3/29/2011 9:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
It's most likely Firefox. I've noticed it takes up double the amount of RAM that it used to. I've run into similar issues if Firefox is open when trying to run other games on my notebook (Bejeweled, Peggle, etc.).
irc://chat.freenode.net/wowtech
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wowtech
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Well, keep in mind Firefox 4, like the new Internet Explorer 9, uses GPU acceleration (unlike previous versions).

With that being the case, there are almost guaranteed to be conflicts between WoW and either of those browsers now. Just keep the browser closed until after you start WoW.
Edited by Drashnar on 3/29/2011 9:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Marcoma ,

Is is possible your IE is being set to work off-line? That will keep the launcher from working.

It might also be a setting in IE. Open up Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" then "Internet Options". Now go to the "Connections" tab and click on the button that says "LAN settings". Make sure that "Automatically detect settings" is not checked, and that you are not using a proxy server. Click "OK."

Check that setting the next time the launcher fails to run along with the on-line/off-line status of IE.

"And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had...."

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Marcoma ,

Is is possible your IE is being set to work off-line? That will keep the launcher from working.

It might also be a setting in IE. Open up Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" then "Internet Options". Now go to the "Connections" tab and click on the button that says "LAN settings". Make sure that "Automatically detect settings" is not checked, and that you are not using a proxy server. Click "OK."

Check that setting the next time the launcher fails to run along with the on-line/off-line status of IE.

"And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had...."

It happened to me just now, again when I opened Firefox prior to my attempt to open WoW. I checked my IE settings as proscribed; no proxy server option was checked, no was any option to automatically detect settings.

As I said, it's not life or death, but it's extremely annoying to have to reboot to just load WoW if I've been browsing the internet at all before hand.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
As an amusing side note to this thread, I am having the very same issues since I installed firefox 4. The amusing part of this is that I run WoW in Ubuntu linux, using WINE. Worked dandy until I installed firefox 4.

Weird huh?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
I'm going to nudge this thread because I'm still having this issue.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Another nudge.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Marcoma,

Since it's free and fast to install, did you try uninstalling Firefox 4 yet and seeing if the issue goes away? Backup your bookmarks first though.

"Possession isn't nine-tenths of the law. It's nine-tenths of the problem."
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I am having the very same issue but i do not have firefox at all.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Hunter
I'm having this problem too, and have for several months. There is a conflict with the WoW launcher and something in my computer. I click the launcher, it opens, and when I hit "play", it disappears entirely. I mean completely gone. It is nowhere to be found. I can't get into the game at all, nor can I close out the launcher since it disappears. I can't run the troubleshooter because it wants the game open and I have no way to open it. In order to get "out" of the launcher, I have to restart my computer every time, and then I get the dreaded blue screen.

I've been working around this by going to the battle.net site and actually downloading the whole game which takes an hour or more. When the game downloads, it doesn't require me to click on the launcher, it just finishes the download and I can hit "play" and it works. As long as I don't ever close out the game completely, I can continue to go back into the game from the gallery. However, once the game is exited completely, it is a problem again.

Today we had a brief power outage. I sighed as my computer re-booted, then went to the battle.net download site as usual, began the download, but halfway through the download, it stopped and I got the blue screen. This hasn't happened before. Obviously something is very wrong. I am not a techie, and I have an Alienware pc, only 2 yrs. old. My warranty is up, of course, and most computer shops here won't/can't work on Alienware. I finally found one who says he has the expertise for it, so will likely be taking my pc in very soon. It has been very disheartening trying to play, to say the least.

And by the way, I do use Firefox, but so does my husband, and he has no conflict whatsoever with his PC, an older Dell. I also have an Asus gaming laptop with Firefox, and there is no conflict there either.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
I searched the forum. Multiple people are having this problem (myself included). I haven't found an answer yet. We need some attention from support.

In the mean time, you can bypass the launcher and load the WoW.exe (or WoW-64.exe) file directly and it will run that way.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
I have a little bit different problem from this but i hope someone can help.My launcher does get white screen and does not respond.I have checked many threads but i heard updating my video drivers and other software will help but no use and even i have reinstalled removed wow many times and installing again but just gets a white screen.I cant play wow :(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]