Sound Off - WoW Magazine

Community Manager
Speak your mind! World of Warcraft Official Magazine is interested in hearing what you have to say about hotly debated aspects of the game. The best responses will be featured in a future issue of the magazine. What was the most difficult raid for its time?

If chosen your name and text could appear in a future issue of the Official World of Warcraft Magazine.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Definably Ragnoros in Molten Core. 36 People dead @ 6% and adds spawned @ 5% was lucrative!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
...WoW has a magazine?
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Druid
Naxx or Sunwell. It's pretty close. I'd say 40man Naxx wins out, though
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
For a full raid: Sunwell. Not so much for the content itself, but the mix of class balance and the community. The raid was so hard, that a lot of guilds just didn't bring mages beyond enough to CC, because a Warlock in a group with a Shadow Priest did it's job better. Tied in with how unforgiving the fights were of messing up, it took A LOT to get through the place.

If we're going by looking at a single boss as the way to figure out which raid was the hardest, it's definitely ICC. Heroic 25m LK was that hard that one person messing up usually quickly, sometimes immediately, resulted in a wipe.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
My mind is that blizzard catered to the "new" demographic by revamping old azorth (for the newly leveling populace) and not giving us more raids and 5 mans at launch. Giving the rise of the sea of complaints about how people were stuck.

Had there been more 5 man and easier raid content IN ADDITION to what is available now, there would likely be less amount of complaints. Imagine if there was a raid where it is mostly tank and spank (not just 1 boss like in BH), where occasional cc is needed, and dropped 355 / 365 (HM) ilevel epics (as upgrade to ZA/ZG that is released on day 1) and more normals that had 333 level loot.

Also, the disconnect between normal and heroic 5 man is vast, given how easy they are on normal and prepared you LITTLE for what is in store for the heroic version of the said instance.

Many new aspects of this expansion is seen by leveling an alt (and boy did I enjoy them) but for many that is not something they'd like to do as they have been used to having content at the end game for all levels (coming from wrath, or in tbc when everything was longer in comparison and people were expected to be stuck on heroic 5 mans and kara).

If none of those can be done, at least a proper tutorial system teaching the virtue of using cc, interrupt and staying out of the fire.

I would hope that the next expansion's first tier raid would have the noted "easy" raids that would pander to those that are not as skilled or do not have the computer and internet connection to do the harder mode at launch.
Edited by Furyblades on 3/28/2011 3:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The question really goes two ways. Difficulty is relative, whether it be by fight mechanics or by time-constrained requirements (e.g. needing 8 warriors in 4-piece Tier 3 to tank Four Horsemen). I'd say Sunwell and Level 60 Naxxramas fit those two requirements, respectively.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Scholomance 10 man! Technically a raid! Especially when someone gave cause for the neutral NPCs in the gambit room to take umbrage with us or when someone didn't loot the key off of Rattlegore. A place of true malice and hate. Ran that place over 50 times on my old warlock for my Dreadmist Mask, even after I had T2. I would not actually see a Dreadmist Mask until WotLK.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
The Bashiok 40 man, no loot of note - just epic banhammer carnage :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
My mind is that blizzard catered to the "new" demographic by revamping old azorth (for the newly leveling populace) and not giving us more raids and 5 mans at launch. Giving the rise of the sea of complaints about how people were stuck.

Had there been more 5 man and easier raid content IN ADDITION to what is available now, there would likely be less amount of complaints. Imagine if there was a raid where it is mostly tank and spank (not just 1 boss like in BH), where occasional cc is needed, and dropped 355 / 365 (HM) ilevel epics (as upgrade to ZA/ZG that is released on day 1) and more normals that had 333 level loot.

Also, the disconnect between normal and heroic 5 man is vast, given how easy they are on normal and prepared you LITTLE for what is in store for the heroic version of the said instance.

Many new aspects of this expansion is seen by leveling an alt (and boy did I enjoy them) but for many that is not something they'd like to do as they have been used to having content at the end game for all levels (coming from wrath, or in tbc when everything was longer in comparison and people were expected to be stuck on heroic 5 mans and kara).

If none of those can be done, at least a proper tutorial system teaching the virtue of using cc, interrupt and staying out of the fire.

I would hope that the next expansion's first tier raid would have the noted "easy" raids that would pander to those that are not as skilled or do not have the computer and internet connection to do the harder mode at launch.

I'm pretty sure this didn't actually answer the question, but I vote it makes it in anyway
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Druid
Ragnaros, of Molten Core. Not because the raid was hard, but because WoW players were mostly noobs back then. That and it took so frickin long just to get to him.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Well he said :

"World of Warcraft Official Magazine is interested in hearing what you have to say about hotly debated aspects of the game"

I took that as the thing that is the most debated among forums and players, and being in DnR, I immediately thought to GC's post about raiding progression.

As it stands, when 4.2 comes out, the current tier would becomes more like the "easy" mode everyone is asking for (incl me in my post above), but for many that is too late especially given how a hot and fresh mmo is launching around this time (and not to mention TOR).
Reply Quote
86 Troll Druid
03/28/2011 3:03 PMPosted by Defengar
Naxx 40, easily. it was so over tuned only a handful of guilds cleared it pre BC, you needed 7 tanks for the 4 horsemen (the most tanks ever need for any raid), first raid to actually use enrage timers (this was a shocker for quit a few groups lol), and it had a lot of mechanics that had never been seen before.

Enrage timers existed before Naxxramas.

In regards to difficulty, Naxxramas-40 and Sunwell were both difficult for their times. The thing about WoW is that the raid game has continually evolved and so this question isn't something you can answer outright. Naxxramas had a lot of new encounters and redefined difficulty but at the same time, post-fix C'thun was similar in regards to this. Patchwerk and Thaddius redefined enrages and the concepts of DPS checks. Hateful Strike demanded a deeper level of understanding of game mechanics, Polarity Shift brought a new level of dynamic play into the game, Heigan had the dance, Gothik had an incredibly tuned add wave system, the Four Horseman quite obviously forced a raid to think outside of the box in raid positioning, strategy, and fluidity. And while things like Void Zones were finally established as a mechanic, we also so a recycling of previously introduced mechanics.

Sunwell upped the ante, but until Sunwell, SSC and TK were also incredibly challenging and overtuned. In Sunwell, Kalecgos, Felmyst, and Kil'jaeden all brought new levels of dynamics into play. M'uru redefined how we view "tuning" in an absolute sense and set a precedent to which we have compared ever since.

Ulduar was incredibly fresh for its time, with encounters like Firefighter, Yogg+0, Algalon, Freya+3 and Obituary. We saw the introduction of hard modes and these encounters had all kinds of new demands and novel challenges. Heroic Lich King as a fight also falls into this category.

And with Cataclysm, this tier has been similarly demanding for its time. While not all of the mechanics in this tier are super novel, they are stressful, which at some degree is inherently important in determining difficulty. Each expansion has had some point where it pushed the ante, and I expect Cataclysm tiers to do more of this given all the lessons that have been learned in past tiers of content. In that vein, I think this question will continue to have many answers that will reflect the nature of the community present at that time, and the mastery it employed over all content up to that point. Innovation will continue in the production of increasingly challenging dungeons.

Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Well he said :

"World of Warcraft Official Magazine is interested in hearing what you have to say about hotly debated aspects of the game"

I took that as the thing that is the most debated among forums and players, and being in DnR, I immediately thought to GC's post about raiding progression.

As it stands, when 4.2 comes out, the current tier would becomes more like the "easy" mode everyone is asking for (incl me in my post above), but for many that is too late especially given how a hot and fresh mmo is launching around this time (and not to mention TOR).

Yeah, I agree that its a huge issue, but at the end of that paragraph, he asked specifically "What was the most difficult raid for it's time", which doesn't really seem too "hotly debate" on any forums I've seen. And TBH, his post really does add a lot of extra information to the begining of it. Maybe the question itself should have been either the forum topic or it's own paragraph.

But it's a really well thought out post, and a lot better than what you typically see on these forums. It's not an answer to Bashiok's question, but when something like that comes up, a post like that should be in it. Or even if they don't put a question to the hard vs easy content, it's a good insight to what's going on with the players right now in the game.
Reply Quote
87 Goblin Shaman
Ahn'Qiraj By far the coolest!!! Naxx may have been harder BUT you cant beat the opening of AQ. Also the MASSIVE size of that place and the totally new char designs. That place blew my mind. I spent most of my time raiding inside AQ40 and let me tell you it was time well spent.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
I see a lot of people putting Naxx 40, or MC 40. Although I am not saying that those aren't hard, I personally didn't ever see them. So for me the hardest raid for me was Heroic Icecrown Citadel.

Now I know what you're thinking "oh he just played in wrath he doesn't know what hard is" and perhaps I don't know what "hard" is, but I've been playing since Burning Crusade and this was the most difficult I encountered.

Now because I don't have forever to write out each boss I'll just spend time on the wing end bosses.

Saurfang I thought after I had seen the Wrathgate cinematic that the son of one of the most feared Horde warriors couldn't be fiercer. That changed when he spawned the blood beasts. I first saw these blood beasts and thought "oh I'll just slow them and run away while killing like on normal". I start with my Ice trap and start killing them, when all of a sudden they grow large, and almost as if my character himself was turned to stone my run speed took a turn for the worse. As the beast closed on me I did what any hunter does when they are threatened, I Feigned death to the dismay of the nearby Shadow priest who was soon thereafter turned to mush. After a while of fighting this monster of a shell of a man we succeeded and headed inside to the Inner Sanctum.

Blood Queen Lana'thel This vampiric gargoyle of a boss held a special hold over my heart, one of hatred and lust. She had the gun that I wanted, and I wasn't about to let her keep it. She put up a good fight, As slowly and slowly our raid turned into vampires things started to look grim as the pulsing AoE increased to fatal amounts. But we were able to keep our heads during the bloodbolt whirl and managed to power through her MASSIVE amount of health during the 5 minute enrage timer. Though we were victorious my gun would never be seen.

Professor Putricide We faced a new challenge in facing the mad scourge scientist responsible for all of the blight, ooze, and plague on azeroth. He brought us the necrotic plague, a ticking time bomb turned hot potato that led to many untimely deaths. While one of our tanks was turned into the very same breed of abomination that we had just fought so that he could eat the ever expanding puddles of ooze beneath our feet. Meanwhile, Putricide repeatedly tried to kill us with the use of his Gas clouds and Volatile oozes. And when we would push him into the threshold to start a new phase instead of being intoxicated like we were used to, he would instead greet us with 2 of his little friends to keep us busy while he gulped down potions like Scooby Doo in a refrigerator. Eventually we were able to escape his green swamp of a lab and continued on.

Sindragosa The frost queen brought us to the brink of insanity by making our very magic betray us. As we exploded from casting spells, we were given a reprieve only to be met with our raid members getting frozen in tombs of ice. Our minds were twisted as our instinct to break them free was overridden by the need for these tombs to save us from the icy blasts that rained from the sky. As our stacks of mystic buffet slowly rose and our raid members were one by one frozen solid, we defeated this monster and pressed on for our final challenge.

The Lich King We were here, this was what we had been waiting for. We stood by Tirion Fordring and prepared for the battle, as we ate what very well could have been our last taste of fish ever we pondered the insanity of what we were about to try.

We told Fordring we were ready to fight and he went forward to challenge Arthas. The Lich King descended from his frozen throne and walked towards us menacingly. In one fell swoop he froze Tirion and advanced towards us. The spirit of Admiral Akbar was with us as we called out to each other on mumble that "IT'S A TRAP". As the fight went on The Lich King called down his winged harbringers of death to drop us to our death. We powered through that only to get sucked into the heart of Frostmourne itself. We frantically moved to avoid becoming yet another victim of that cursed sword. When we emerged we were met by ghosts that wanted nothing more than to run up to us and explode for their creator. We survived and were able to claim victory over the hardest raid that I have ever done.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Umm, all of you are posting in the wrong thread.

This thread should post issues like: archaeology being discriminatory against certain classes, is the entry into raid progression too steep or just right, absence of pvp balance in certain areas, difficulty of gaining the entry level honor gear into bgs, etc.
Edited by Patiareh on 3/28/2011 5:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]