Is anyone else soloing bosses in BC Raids?

Just curious to see if anyone has tackled the one's that I've been having trouble with, progressed further than me or just wants to know how it's done. It's actually quite simple now, especially as a rogue with recuperate if anybody would like tips for the bosses I have done as well.

Right now, I have killed:
Magtheridon, (500g)
TK Al'ar, Void Reaver, (250g each)
SSC Lurker Below (250g each)

(This is really good gold farming weekly, and if you do MC runs on top of it and go for Golemagg, you have a good chance to get an ingot which you can AH for another 1000g. Once you learn 3/4 and 5/6 for SSC/TK, it probably gets to a massive amount.)

I'm having serious trouble killing Solarian and Hydross even though this forum I went to said they're supposed to be relatively easy. If anyone has done them, it'd be neat to hear how. (It's supposed to be possible to do 3/4 TK and 5/6 SSC right now, have only attempted Hydross+Lurker for SSC at this time.)
Edited by Caelixx on 3/29/2011 4:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
The money they drop is getting extremely nerfed in 4.1 which is unfortunate as I'm working on a DK just to for the enjoyment of soloing bosses. I mean it won't deter me, but Mag was such an easy kill for 500g.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
On my Death Knight, I've soloed SSC up to Lady Vashj. I've killed everything in Tempest Keep except for Kael'thas (work in progress). I have also slain Magtheridon and Gruul. I found that most bosses in SSC are not worth killing simply because of the time it takes. Some bosses in Black Temple are possible IF you have good enough gears.

Hydross is a massive pain because you need enough AoE damage and self-healing to dance around with Hydross to prevent the debuff from stacking too high AND kill the adds he spawns. I can imagine that being exceedingly painful as a rogue. Most people usually skip Hydross.

Solarian has the same problem. You need enough firepower to take out the adds and enough self-healing to endure her spells. As a death knight, it is really easy if you know how to manage your cooldown. As a rogue, you are vulnerable to crits; that could be the problem. Otherwise, you will want to be more specific as to what you do and what happens.

A disappointing note: most loot pinatas get a loot nerf in the next patch or so.
Reply Quote
That's really disappointing about the gold nerfs, I thought I would have something fun to look forward to every week. Oh well.

As for more detailed things about what happens during those two encounters, Drahna, Hydross just simply ends up hitting me for too much and when I have to reset it to frost/poison etc at the 50% debuff the adds actually hit me very hard on top of it and recuperate just can't keep up. I think it's a gear issue, since I still have a lot of blues and some greens and my stuff is just @!!@ty.

As for Solarian, I think it may be a gear issue as well but I'm not sure. I've gotten her to like 40% on my best attempt and then I eventually get drained. I can't get her down to her void stage before adds spawn for a 3rd time and I usually die with the 2 priests+solarian up on the 3rd spawn with no more cds and recuperate not keeping me up all that well. As I said, probably a gear issue since I saw this guy in massive raid gear take him to void phase after the freakin' 1st set of adds and I can't do it before the 3rd.

Edit: Also, did you actually solo Vashj or did you solo 'up to' Vashj? Solo'ing Vashj would be pretty amazing, even though I think that's physically impossible since you can't pass cores to anyone, correct? Also, Gruul would be very, very easy if it weren't for the fact Maulgar is probably impossible to solo still.
Edited by Caelixx on 3/29/2011 5:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
Then it probably is your gears. I have seen a rogue in raid gears tank trash and some bosses in Black Temple simply by using recuperate.

Another note: as far as I know, they are not nerfing SSC. Only the loot pinata like Magtheridon, Flame Leviathan, Gruul and a few others. I could be wrong but it was on MMO-Champion.

EDIT: Vashj cannot be soloed because of mechanics. I soloed up to her. And Maulgar is not impossible if you're in raid gears as a death knight; Mione has done it.
Edited by Drahna on 3/29/2011 5:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Very neat on them not nerfing SSC/TK, those are the ones I have a lot of fun solo'ing in right now. Also, that's really crazy on Maulgar solo. Wasn't sure that was even possible. I saw this guy solo 4 bosses in Naxx-10 on youtube as a rogue as well, so I may end up trying that eventually as well. Very fun stuff.

(Edit: Going to sleep after this post :P)
Edited by Caelixx on 3/29/2011 5:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
65 Human Death Knight
Good to know about SSC/TK indeed. My longterm goal is to solo as much of T6 as I can. Some fights will be impossible such as Najentus due to how the fight works, and I can't imagine you can solo IC either. Pity that there is no T6 for DKs.

Edit: No idea why I posted on this character, looked at her armory and I must have switched it without thinking about it. -Quin

Futher Edit: One fight I'm really excited about soloing is 10 man Malygos. I've watched a few streams of DKs attempting it but they don't quite have the gear yet. Soon though.
Edited by Valandra on 3/29/2011 5:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I have been soloing or else having Ezidran's alt assist me on some fights depending on his availability. It doesn't seem so bad now, but there are still some unfortunate walls I/we have not been able to get past, like Azgalor in CoT: Hyjal.

TK's third boss is actually not that bad as a DK. I did her in my DPS gear and Zain died about 75% into the fight (he was holy spec healing anyway) and I solo'd her from there. Her main damage output is the air flings which she'll spam constantly, so as long as you have enough healing to offset those, Solarian isn't really all that bad to deal with.

I'm intending to swing by Grull/Mag before the patch to get us both the achieves, but so far it's been pretty profitable. Any news on if Karazhan is included in the gold nerf?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
So far, the nerfs are affecting: Flame Leviathan, Magtheridon, Gruul the Dragonkiller, Doom Lord Kazzak, and all encounters in Karazhan.

That said, personally I was unable to beat Rage Winterchill's death'n'decay damage in the battle for Mount Hyjal so I brought a healer for that fight only. Beyond that, Hyjal is all too easy to solo for a Death Knight. Lengthy but easy.
Reply Quote
98 Blood Elf Death Knight
I usually try and tackle stuff with a shadow priest friend of mine.

So far, we've done Magtheridon, Gruul's Lair, BT up to Reliquary of Pain, SSC up to Vashj, Tempest Keep (having a bit of trouble with Kael), almost had Marrowgar down, FL, Ignis, Razorscale, XT, Auriaya, Kologarn, and perhaps soon Freya. Oh and Hyjal.
Edited by Vaelryn on 3/29/2011 11:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Hey Caelixx,

I'm a pretty fail rogue and I'm still learning this class since I don't really play melee much. I've solo'd Void Reaver on my hunter no problem, but haven't had much success on this rogue yet. The problem isn't so much dying as it is him being immune to poisons, and my damage not being enough in combat. Should I just wait for better gear, or try it as mut?

do u haev tipz? Thanks!
Reply Quote
Hey Caelixx,

I'm a pretty fail rogue and I'm still learning this class since I don't really play melee much. I've solo'd Void Reaver on my hunter no problem, but haven't had much success on this rogue yet. The problem isn't so much dying as it is him being immune to poisons, and my damage not being enough in combat. Should I just wait for better gear, or try it as mut?

do u haev tipz? Thanks!

Combat -is- the solo'ing spec, so don't change anything there. Just make sure you copy my combat spec exactly and glyphs as well so that you have everything you possibly can. The reinforced armor+quickening combination is what allows you to solo stuff. For more information, visit this link (specifically for rogues):

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/811748-Rogues-vs-old-content-V2
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I've been easily handling Void Reaver for the hood he drops for a few weeks now (last week a rogue friend helped), and I burned through Kara (for rep) and Zul'Aman (for fun and gold) here and there too. I tried the astromancer lady in The Eye, but I was a bit tipsy and my pet despawned twice when I was tossed into the air so I packed it in and had a few more drinks. :-)

I've quickly discovered that marks is the best spec to handle bosses. That self-heal is just great.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Combat -is- the solo'ing spec, so don't change anything there. Just make sure you copy my combat spec exactly and glyphs as well so that you have everything you possibly can. The reinforced armor+quickening combination is what allows you to solo stuff. For more information, visit this link (specifically for rogues):

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/811748-Rogues-vs-old-content-V2

Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/29/2011 11:26 AMPosted by Drahna
So far, the nerfs are affecting: Flame Leviathan, Magtheridon, Gruul the Dragonkiller, Doom Lord Kazzak, and all encounters in Karazhan.

Damn. Gonna have to hit KZ and maybe clear ZA weekly until 4.1 comes in then.

The DnD on Rage wasn't an issue for me, since it hits a fairly predictable pattern and then stays stationary channeling it, though he does wipe out most of my NPC assists. What I need to do however is figure out how to solo Azgalor since Doom wipes out any teammates I bring along. Might just have to wait for a higher ilvl.
Edited by Dynast on 3/30/2011 12:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
For Azgalor, do not bring any teammates. He's not a threat to you at all and does not use Doom if you are on your own.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I could be mistaken, but I believe thus far, Kael's only been soloed by death knights & hunters. He's considered not soloable by most classes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]