Sacrifist's Profession Guide for New Players

90 Night Elf Rogue
Wow, only two days and already this has fallen to page 3. I think we need to get the first post up to a gold background before it can be stickied, at least that was the case for Ice's Class choosing questionnaire.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Adding some feedback on Enchanting, you described it as "sucking you dry" and "taking all your quest rewards". However, enchanting is also a gathering profession in a way, and can make you a LOT of money even at low levels in two ways:

One: disenchanted quest rewards can often be worth more than the reward itself. Of course you will need some mats to level your profession.

Two: Enchanting is a "gathering" profession on the auction house. Look up uncommon armor lvl 1-15 on the auction house, and sort it by price. Then look up the cost of strange dust. You'll probably find than there is 10, 20, even hundreds of armor pieces (often crafted by tailors or leatherworkers or blacksmiths) that sell for less than half of what the strange dust they produce will sell for. This is true for almost every tier of item, from 1 to 85. You can use this as both a source of cheap materials for leveling your profession, as well as a source for future income when you no longer need strange dust, and have moved on to vision dust.

You probably won't make as much gold as you would with a traditional gathering profession, but it's easy to do and you can easily make a good net-positive while leveling.

edit: example, strange dust on my server is currently priced at 4g.. that's a little high, it's usually closer to 2g, or 1g at lowest. There are 44 armor pieces selling for less than 50 silver that will disenchant to 1.5 strange dust each. That's 44g of profit for a brand new enchanter on the low end, or 242g profit on the high end if I can sell then for 4g each. And this supply usually replenishes quickly (like once a day). Addons like auctioneer have automatic searches to help you find these deals.

Disenchanting also has the "low risk guarantee". There is no deposit for posting enchanting materials on the AH.
Edited by Hershe on 4/17/2011 12:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/17/2011 12:02 AMPosted by Hershe
Adding some feedback on Enchanting, you described it as "sucking you dry" and "taking all your quest rewards". However, enchanting is also a gathering profession in a way, and can make you a LOT of money even at low levels in two ways:

The traditional gathering professions can make you more at low levels, more quickly, with zero cash required to obtain the gathered mats.

I have found that strange dust and other low level enchanting mats tend to be tougher sales than say silverleaf or light leather. It gets even worse when you get to the middle levels in terms of the disparity in value and the ease of sales. It's a good thing they don't cost anything to list, because the cost to obtain them is not insignificant. You could list an herb or ore auction for a long time for the cost of buying a mid-level green to dust.

Of course, experiences vary by server and faction and other factors, but that's been what I've experienced pretty consistently.

When you take into account the out of pocket cost to generate what you are selling and the fact that you will need to use some of those gathered mats to continue to be able to gather, it pretty much takes enchanting out of the running as a good choice for new toons.
Reply Quote
23 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for posting this, I'll be sure to bookmark it and read it in between quests!
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight

One: disenchanted quest rewards can often be worth more than the reward itself. Of course you will need some mats to level your profession.

This is true, but disenchanting does require an appropriate level of skill in the profession. I tried not to get into things like purchase/process/re-sell because they're not guarantees by any means, and trolling the AH for bargains doesn't really seem like the kind of activity that's going to excite a new player.

Also, with the speed of leveling now and the quality of most quest rewards, you're going to be equipping a fair few and needing quite a few more to disenchant than you'll be getting purely via quests. There are probably spots here and there where there's an easy craftable that disenchants nicely and makes lots of money, but it's only confusing to bring up something that's not a given.

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
This is true, but disenchanting does require an appropriate level of skill in the profession. I tried not to get into things like purchase/process/re-sell because they're not guarantees by any means, and trolling the AH for bargains doesn't really seem like the kind of activity that's going to excite a new player.

This is a post about options, and just because you would not find it interesting, doesn't mean the information should not be available. I, for instance, found it very interesting once I figured it out. On the other hand, I found (and still find) mining/herbalism to be the most horrible, tedious task anyone could ask me to do, right after fishing. Searching the AH takes fairly little time, and yes it requires a bit of up-front cash, but once you get rolling it's not an issue. While it's also not a "guarantee" like you said, the risk is low... Probably the most you would have invested in strange dust at one time is 10g, and with no AH fee for posting enchanting materials, the risk of losing money from posting is low (unlike mining/herbalism/skinning where you lose your deposit)

On my server at least, I've had great experiences with it. I have no issue selling strange dust, vision dust, illusion dust, or arcane dust (almost all of the items I disenchanted last night as an "example" have sold... dream dust is an unfortunate exception, that stuff I can't give away). And the up-front cash is not much. I quoted "50s" as a high end. There were dozens of greens selling for 5 silver each, easily obtainable by most new players. That 5 silver translates into 1g worth of strange dust, a very high profit margin.

Granted it may not be as profitable as mining/skinning/herbalism at low levels, but it has two distinct advantages: 1: it is profitable, you don't have to lose more than you put into it if you're willing to do some disenchanting, 2: it's a viable profession at level cap as well. Me, as a priest, I have very little value in mining/skinning/herbalism. But the ring enchants from enchanting are very useful for me. This saves me the trouble of having to re-level a new profession at lvl 85, as well as giving me a VERY profitable profession at 85. lvl 85 enchants sell nicely on my server, and of course I have the ability to disenchant armor of all levels off the AH.

Also, with the speed of leveling now and the quality of most quest rewards, you're going to be equipping a fair few and needing quite a few more to disenchant than you'll be getting purely via quests. There are probably spots here and there where there's an easy craftable that disenchants nicely and makes lots of money, but it's only confusing to bring up something that's not a given.

You might equpt those quest reward items now, but you can disenchant them later. On my server, at least, it's no less "a given" than being able to sell your low level herbs/skins, and has less risk of losing the deposit.

Side note also, I tested this out about a year ago with a new toon on a different server. she's lvl 8, had a couple gold to spare, so I gave her enchanting. I was up to 100g in a matter of days, spending only 10-15 or so minutes each day on the AH buying and disenchanting. It is doable.

Anyway, just a mention would be nice, but if it's just too confusing then that's fine. Tis your post.
Edited by Hershe on 4/17/2011 11:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Another couple advantages for a new player I forgot to mention:

1. People are often largely (if not entirely) leveling though dungeons. These players probably will not be able to keep their gathering professions up without re-visiting low level zones. On the other hand, an enchanter has an advantage in dungeons (there's a lot more greens to de), and can of course use the AH to level their profession without having to re-visit the barrens as a lvl 50... I doubt a new player would find THAT very interesting either.

2. Many players do not read this guide and pick/develop professions until it's too late. A lvl 50 player probably has little interest in going back to the barrens to level the professions they neglected, but they can easily catch up with enchanting, now or later, without scouring through low level zones for low level nodes.

Lastly, I just want to note you mentioned this for inscriptions... Just as you mentioned a low level scribe can make gold selling glyphs, a low level chanter can make money selling low level enchanting materials.
Edited by Hershe on 4/17/2011 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Specializations for BS, LW, and tailoring were removed entirely in 4.0. The quests for Gnomish and Goblin engineering were also removed in 4.0 and there aren't any items that require a specialization to use in engineering, so Goblin/Gnomish Engineering specializations were also removed.

This isn't accurate. There were two non combat pets added in Cataclysm.

De-Weaponized Mechanical Companion which requires Gnomeish Engineering and Personal World Destroyer which requires Goblin Engineering.

The quests for the specialization are still in the game. I completed "Show Your Work!" after Cataclysm went live on my hunter in order to get De-Weaponized Mechanical Companion
Edited by Sneakys on 4/17/2011 12:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
04/17/2011 11:45 AMPosted by Hershe
Anyway, just a mention would be nice, but if it's just too confusing then that's fine. Tis your post.

You do make some excellent points. I guess my thought on the moneymaking sections was based on a 'during the normal course of leveling' assumption (as I stated in my buy/process/re-sell comment), meaning selling the things you would make to level anyway, which is true for Inscription. I omitted it for the same reason I omitted ideas like purchasing ore, cutting gems and vendoring them.

I was probably a bit harsh on Enchanting though, probably because I found it frustrating while leveling. I'll give the section a re-write later tonight. I'm not trying to disrespect your thoughts at all, just trying to be consistent and maintain an emphasis on simplicity.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You do make some excellent points. I guess my thought on the moneymaking sections was based on a 'during the normal course of leveling' assumption (as I stated in my buy/process/re-sell comment), meaning selling the things you would make to level anyway, which is true for Inscription. I omitted it for the same reason I omitted ideas like purchasing ore, cutting gems and vendoring them.

I was probably a bit harsh on Enchanting though, probably because I found it frustrating while leveling. I'll give the section a re-write later tonight. I'm not trying to disrespect your thoughts at all, just trying to be consistent and maintain an emphasis on simplicity.

That's a fair point, this is certainty not a strategy used during the "normal course of leveling", and it's certainly not a "simple" or "intuitive" process. I'm mostly just speaking for myself personally, this is information I wish I would have had when I was first leveling... my first experience leveling enchanting wasn't too great either.

Maybe what we need is a different post or guide that speaks directly to people who want try more advanced strategies for leveling professions like Enchanting. A brief mention and a link from your post to this one would be nice, and would help keep the scope and simplicity of your post while letting people know of advanced options. 99.9% of people are probably fine with the guide as is, but that 0.01% of people like me who HATE gathering might appreciate being made aware of other options they have without breaking the bank.

This is something I can work on, though I'll need to do some more research on other professions. I was only really aware of the viability of inscriptions and enchanting at low levels. I've never heard of this "buying ore, prospecting, cutting and vendoring" option for JC but it's certainly sounds like some information I wish I would have had back in the day.

Anyhoo, thank you for considering my perspective, I certainly can appreciate your need for simplicity as well :-)
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Maybe what we need is a different post or guide that speaks directly to people who want try more advanced strategies for leveling professions like Enchanting. A brief mention and a link from your post to this one would be nice, and would help keep the scope and simplicity of your post while letting people know of advanced options. 99.9% of people are probably fine with the guide as is, but that 0.01% of people like me who HATE gathering might appreciate being made aware of other options they have without breaking the bank.

This is something I can work on, though I'll need to do some more research on other professions. I was only really aware of the viability of inscriptions and enchanting at low levels. I've never heard of this "buying ore, prospecting, cutting and vendoring" option for JC but it's certainly sounds like some information I wish I would have had back in the day.

The JC thing I was referring to is actually a max-level trick playing on the fact that cut uncommon gems vendor for 9g and it's possible to make profit simply by buying ore and then vendoring the spoils - it's labor-intensive, though, especially if you're trying to make large amounts. Depending on your server's economy, though, you can often make profits by buying certain ores and selling the gems - works pretty well with Thorium, as long as you make sure the prices are decent on the gems that prospect out of it.

As far as the advanced tactics guide, that sounds like a great idea - I'd certainly be happy to chip in what I know. If you're serious about compiling something like that, we'll have to find a way to get in contact.

Edit: Updated the Financial Impact section of Enchanting to something a little less...dire.
Edited by Sacrifist on 4/18/2011 1:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Edit: Updated the Financial Impact section of Enchanting to something a little less...dire.

Lol, thanks.

For this other guide, I'm deep in the trenches of college right now, but I'm interested in it. I can contact in-game if more collaboration is needed. I was also considering a post in the professions forum to see if anyone else can contribute some tricks to the cause.
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Druid
Great guide, really. nothing more to be said.
Reply Quote
58 Human Death Knight
Bumping again!
Reply Quote
THANK FOR INFO REAL HELPFUL
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Glad to see this made it back to the front page :) Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions :D
Reply Quote
84 Draenei Death Knight
MVP
honestly i go and do festivals. a lot. then when i gather a lot of decorations etc. i set up a big camp and sell profession stuff like enchantments or tailoring. makes you raise much more money and have fun in populated places.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]