... Spider's silk..?

33 Human Paladin
Is the drop rate for Spider's silk absurdly low, or am I just terribly unlucky?

Does anyone have any tips on where to farm? I've tried Arathi highlands [2 hours: nada], Wetlands [3 hours: 1 silk], Duskwood [2 hours: 1 silk] and Redridge [2 hours: nada].

Hours and hours of fruitless arachnid slaying has me frustrated. The AH has a few, for about 10 gold each, but I need more than what is available.

*pats tailoring alt* There, there... Don't cry.
Reply Quote
33 Human Paladin
Yes, obviously I looked on wowhead. However, in the more recent comments on the item, people were saying that the information was out of date, or possibly incorrect. Hence my question.
Reply Quote
33 Human Paladin
I did try looking for the green recluses, but apparently they don't exist anymore. Or maybe they've moved somewhere else. Either way, wowhead was wrong about them, and perhaps about some other things as well.

Oh well. I guess until Blizz decides they want to change the drop rate, I'm stuck massacring hundreds of poor little spiders.

On the bright side[?], I did manage to find 2 silks from the Black Widow Hatchlings after a 4 hour genocide. Only... 8 more to go.

>.>
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
I just looked at Wowhead, and I see tons of trainer recipes to help you skill up past the level where you use spider silk. What is the issue? Is is you simply wish to make those patterns? Because its not stopping you from leveling.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
04/03/2011 04:59 PMPosted by Auricle
The AH has a few, for about 10 gold each, but I need more than what is available.

I sold the half dozen or so that I had (back just after Cataclysm launched, when it appeared like this item was no longer in the game) for around 100g apiece. If you can buy them for 10g each, maybe that's better than farming for hours and hours? How much would you say your time is worth?

(Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be helpful.)
Reply Quote
33 Human Paladin
If you can buy them for 10g each, maybe that's better than farming for hours and hours? How much would you say your time is worth?

(Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be helpful.)

I don't consider that jerk-ish in the least. Thanks for your input. :) I probably will just buy them.

04/04/2011 10:42 AMPosted by Aresheals
I just looked at Wowhead, and I see tons of trainer recipes to help you skill up past the level where you use spider silk. What is the issue? Is is you simply wish to make those patterns? Because its not stopping you from leveling.

It's not just that I want to make the patterns [and I do], but more of me being confused as to why Spider's Silk has such a low drop rate. It's not a rare end game drop, so I don't understand it.

Yes, I could just bypass the spider's silk items all together, or just buy the stuff off the AH. I realize this. *shrug* Just thought I'd ask, see if any of the more experienced players had any idea where the silk went. I guess not. Thanks, though.
Reply Quote
39 Troll Mage
Try the spiders in Ashenvale, they are the appropriate level. Or if there are spiders in Darkshore you might try there too.

The spiders I used to get them off were in Stonetalon, but they are higher lvl now and drop thick spider silk instead.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Is there still spiders south of Silvermoon, (forgot zone name). That is where I used to get it, if it helps. I know not the easiest for alli, but there used to be tons there.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
It's not just that I want to make the patterns [and I do], but more of me being confused as to why Spider's Silk has such a low drop rate. It's not a rare end game drop, so I don't understand it.

Yes, I could just bypass the spider's silk items all together, or just buy the stuff off the AH. I realize this. *shrug* Just thought I'd ask, see if any of the more experienced players had any idea where the silk went. I guess not. Thanks, though.

Sadly, the drop rate went down significantly, and I'm not entirely sure why that is. Some of that gear is pretty good for its level, and it's a shame that it costs so much to make. Good luck to you, though!
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
Yeah... Spider Silk is a very rare drop now. Here's the thread where we explored the world looking for them:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1127124592

The black widow spiders north of Raven Hill are one of your best bets.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i always had luck at webwinder path in stonetalon,still was rare drop though.
Reply Quote
33 Human Paladin
Yeah... Spider Silk is a very rare drop now. Here's the thread where we explored the world looking for them:

<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1127124592">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1127124592</a>

The black widow spiders north of Raven Hill are one of your best bets.

Ah, okay. So people have noticed this before. It's so odd, though. I've had the most luck with the Black Widow Hatchlings [below Darkshire, I believe].

Sadly, the drop rate went down significantly, and I'm not entirely sure why that is. Some of that gear is pretty good for its level, and it's a shame that it costs so much to make. Good luck to you, though!

The gear is pretty good for its level, yeah. It's just not cost effective.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
If anyone knows a *good* drop rate zone for plain old spider silk or a list where all spider silks are updated more often than THIS website or wowhead, please post it here.

There is none on my server's AH and finding it in the wild has proved difficult to impossible even with going to every single guide and searching the net for spawning points - many websites haven't been updated in close to a year - even this thread hasn't been too active and without spider silk my alt's tailoring is bottlenecked.

Sad waste of a good waste of time. WOW is a decent outlet for a hobby, but when you can't find something and are forced to go to the web AND find nothing you are stuck until someone says there isn't going to be any (spider silk for on) or you spend days looking until you finally find a single point where you may grind for a few weeks to get what you need - even my AH has NONE and hasn't had any for at least two days.

Reply Quote
94 Gnome Mage
Zerre, I looked at your server in The Undermine Journal and there are 4 Spider's Silks on the AH there right now for less than 12g each. Furthermore, there have been at least 2 each and every hour of the last week and as many as 12 yesterday. You might check again. By the way, the name of the item is not "spider silk" but "spider's silk" See if that helps.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
I used to farm it in ashenvale and stoneton mountains ... but not in a long time... Pre lichking... so its prolly changed
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm having the same problem with the Spider's Silk drop rate. I've looked on Wowhead and read that the Black Widow Spiders had the best drop rate. So I decided to try there. Two hours later...

Nothing!

Back in WotLK, I farmed the Spider's Silk from the Giant Plains Creepers in Arathi Highlands. So I figured I'd check there as well. Once again, nothing dropped after hours of farming.

As far as the Battle Creepers in Hillsbrad, I'm out of luck since I'm Horde. :(

If I happen to find a better mob source, I'll be sure to post here.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I can confirm that the Forest Creepers in Hillsbrad (those green spiders) seem to have a better drop rate. I just got 2 Spider's Silk in less than 30 minutes! Hopefully it's not just my luck and is the actual drop rate.

EDIT: 3 after 50 minutes of farming!
EDIT: 4 after 1 hour 15 mins!

Now I can make my twink's boots. :)
Edited by Angelxeyes on 12/22/2011 2:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
46 Troll Hunter
I'm not entirely a WoW expert nor have i played for a long time, but i think it might be the level that you are on. Some guy on the trade channel told me he needed wool and he couldn't get any in dungeons because now all he gets as drops are some other materials.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]