Ask the Devs - Answers #4: Armor and Weapons

85 Draenei Death Knight
A: Our main goal is to offer the Legendary in both 10 and 25 without requiring say a 25-player raid to feel like they have to switch to running 10s for the sole purpose of Legendary fragment acquisition (and the same is true for 10s). Our plan is to make Legendary completion take longer to acquire in 10-player raids. The exact ratio will be somewhat obfuscated because of the variation in the amount of fragments dropped per boss based on both raid size and raid difficulty. However, you can plan on it being maybe 2 to 2.5 times faster for the 25-player raid. It should feel analogous to number of Valor points or gold dropped in 25s, and is being treated the same.

WTF, Why should it take longer in a 10 man group then a 25 man group to get this. Thats really messed up. I hate 25 mans and by this it means I'll have to do them to have a shot at the drop on any of my toons.

Well if you have 5 people in your 25 man run who can use (for instance) a tanking sword legendary, versus two in your 10 man, then you'll actually get the legendary for everyone able to gain benefit from it faster by running 10's versus 25's. Assuming they go with 2X acquisition in 25's rather than 2.5X.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
04/05/2011 11:10 AMPosted by Lukar
inside jokes (Chestplate of Hubris),

I admit to being curious where this comes from...

I'll toss my two cents in on the barber shop thing though.

When I first created this character, he was bald and clean-shaven, which fit his character at the time. As he grew and evolved (yes I'm an RP'er, yes my character has his own personality, not it's not split personality disorder), that didn't fit him anymore. I was overjoyed when the barber shop was added, so I could put some hair and a nice beard on this character.

Since it was added I've made use of it on multiple occasions, using it to change my beard, hair, or the color from time to time. I also enjoy using it to test hair styles on my models, because sometimes it doesn't look quite the same when you're starting at the character creation as it does when you're actually using it in-game.

When I read that and saw the Community managers name and her posting style. Made me think that she might be the old PM for another game from some years ago. If so the inside joke could be a reference to a player/character from that other game. This being a text based game that actually is still around though I've not played in some years. Anyhow I chuckled when I read it and sort of hoped that my speculation was true since I knew that the Product Manager(PM) indeed did leave that game some years ago to go work for Blizzard.

Jim/Celtar
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

You forget the role players there. And yes, the game is more fun to me if I can change my characters looks. Please do not remove the barber shops. It hurts no one to keep them where they are.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Q: Is it possible to let the players create/edit their own looks? - Zed Loft (Taiwan), Vysha (NA/ANZ), Ráchel (EU|German)

A: As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

We also think it's fair to argue that the game just needs more armor and weapon art. As we said above, we deliver a lot of art these days, but we also produce an enormous number of new items every expansion or patch and it’s understandably disappointing whenever items use the same art. It would be really cool if not every mage or priest converged on the same look after a given expansion or patch.

Personally, I wonder if maybe Blizzard hasn't overlooked the possibility of implementing something similar to Reforging for re-skinning equipment. There are so very many beautiful armour sets, weapons, etc in the game, and it's a pity that many of them are rarely ever seen any more. What if Blizzard implemented a functionality that let you go to an NPC, put two pieces of same slot/type equipment into an interface, and transferred over the appearance?

So, for example, say you just got a Shalug'doom, but don't like the appearance. Perhaps you also still have an old Blade of Harbingers sitting in your bank, so you take them both over to the new NPC, pay a fee, and presto! Your Shalug'doom now has the same artwork as the Blade of Harbingers!

Is this possible? Is this a feature players other than myself would greatly enjoy?
Reply Quote
So, regarding the first and last questions... why not implement the 'appearance' tab that everyone is requesting. Perhaps you could disable (or limit) it in PvP environment. And in order to change the appearance, you must have the item you want to take the appearance from and perhaps even farm up the resources. After all, they are concerned with adding features that will make players stick around... well, what better a way than to make us farm up gear for our appearance, after we've farmed up gear for stats? That's twice the farming, right there. ;p

PvP Appearance Limitations could be along the lines of:
    Only change appearance if armor type is the same. (Leather, Plate, etc.)

Only change appearance if rarity is the same. (Greens, Blues, etc.)

Only change weapon appearance in PvE. (If at all.)

You could also implement some Need/Greed mechanics, so you don't end up with players Needing something just so they can use it for cosmetic reasons.
Reply Quote
Q: I feel that the current item drop ratio per part for caster's is little bit weird. While belt slot items are very common, wrist and ranged (wand) item are drastically rare...

A: ... As far as some items being rarer than others, that is the kind of thing we vary so that every tier of content doesn’t feel like a photocopy of the previous tier with bigger numbers. Our PvP gear for a variety of reasons has become very formulaic, and we don’t want the same thing to befall PvE. Bracers are hard to get now (though the trolls in 4.1 have a lot!), but next tier it might be a different item that becomes precious.

My opinion is that the OP's concern is much greater than your response's concern: specifically, I don't think many people will care if the tiers are photocopies with bigger numbers (...they are), but I think many people will care if they can't fill out a certain slot easily.
Reply Quote
The "wand" response is interesting. I can see how wands are basically just glorified "relics" or even trinkets (just another item slot). On the other hand, it's a tradition to have those items and their function - even if their function is frankly pointless anymore.

It will be interesting to see how they break on this: streamlined to avoid newbie mistakes and simplified easy-of-use, or expanded to appease newbie sense of "but it should be this way!" and RP tradition.
Reply Quote
63 Worgen Warrior
There's not a lot of gameplay feature to the barbershop because there's like 3 additional hairstyles to choose from. Barbershop would be awesome if there were more choices.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

I must say as admiring as my PURPLE pvp armor is... I'm really starting to feel like a gay death knight...

TLDR: I would enjoy my play time more In gear that looks good, than in gear that makes me look gay.

(I suggest taking a look at how rift's dyes work :P)

lots of colors, ability to add them as a Primary, or Secondary color change = ability to make some sick looking basic gear.

(like I could turn my gay purple pvp gears into a dark gray with red outlines, or even go for a dark blue/gold look.)

This is a ridiculously offensive and homophobic post, please save these prejudiced comments for another forum or somewhere else. Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

[ul]A: Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

This is so false. You can't compare hair with gear. Customizing hairs is nice but once you have the look you want, you are done.

With gear, we have new set/tier/weapons/etc... every tier and being able to customize it would just be awesome. I see it more like reforging. Reforging ain't for appearance but for getting the right starts but it's kinda the same anyway, just for a different purpose. People like to customize their stuff and if the barber ain't that popular, it's because that there is nothing new to customize.

Customizing our armor would be such of a big improvement... there are so many pieces, sets, color I can't simply stand on gear.
Reply Quote
25 Draenei Priest
Q: Can we see gear won via need rolls become soulbound? - Lorinall (NA/ANZ)

A: Yes. We plan on implementing a system where winning an item via Need (when using the Dungeon Finder Need Before Greed loot system) will make a BoE item soulbound. We hope to have this working for the 4.2 patch.

To expand on that idea in case it’s not obvious, we don’t think players should be able to claim certain loot drops based on their class if their only intent is to sell the item. If you want to use the item yourself, awesome, go ahead and roll Need on it and you’ll get preference over players who can’t use that armor type. But if all you want to do is run to the Auction House, then everyone should have equal dibs.

What if it's an item I want for my alt?
And besides, doesn't making it soulbound defeat the whole purpose of BoE?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
this may seem petty butback in bc we had different options for our chest pieces other than robes i liked the pant suits and was really hoping they wouild reurn in cata i dont like how shapelesss robes make our toons just wishing for more choices
Edited by Syrenara on 4/7/2011 8:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
66 Human Paladin
i think not only would a "real" appearance tab add the ability to appear to wear older armor... it would allow blizz to track what older tiers/sets/pieces are the most popular appearance wise... all those folks with T3 in the bank rotting away... if this happens.. put it on and leave it on, thanks :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
it would be amazing if all those armor pieces that i have in the bank would server for making my actual armor look like those items i have in the bank. i hate to see those really nice designs gone wasted.
For example, i saved my "Orgrimmar Grunt" armor set in the bank, but i can only use it for being at town, it will never work for raids and heroics, it's a real shame that i can't give them a good use.
Also i saw the other day a really nice sword called Blade of Misfortune and another one i have called The Untamed Blade, they are useless now :( also nice armor pieces like Lightbringer Pauldrons and Dreadnaught Pauldrons also where nice armor pieces in the game, that no longer will be seen in the game.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Is there a reason that if you are doing an "old" (WoLK) dungeon, that you are earning "Honor points" instead of Reputation and/or JP or something other then PvP points??? I just ran GunDrak solo for Gilneas Rep... when I Killed a boss I did not get any Reputation, but instead earned 3 honor points... even a normal mob gave me 15 rep... what is going on... I don't play PvP... (too old, reflexes too slow) lol. I now have 30 some honor points.. just wondering if you are going to fix this.. or what the reasoning is for this..
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread...
Edited by Calaron on 4/7/2011 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I am disappointed that blizzard still thinks that the gear now looks better than the gear sets in vanilla. Nobody likes the same gear in a different color! You say you have more options to design gear yet they look crappy and keep looking worse. I am not as excited to get my tier 11 than I was my teir 1 and 2 and 3. I didn't like that you brought back transcendence in a different color in BC, I doubt many people did. Nothing compares to it being an original look! How does no one at blizz understand that?

Also you mention the barbershop not being a huge part of the game. Maybe from a guy's prospective they could care less what their character looks like. You do have a huge customer base of women who play and DO care about these things. Every girl I talk to about character looks is disappointed and often settles for their character's appearance sadly. We DO notice how you copy and paste one side of the hair to match the other side perfectly. It looks awful and you need a girl to give you guys some style tips because not only are there not many options but the current designs look terrible. You can do better.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
Q: Is there any plan to allow Account Bound items to be transfer to other realms? This could really give meaning to the phrase "Account Bound". - 텔레토비아스 (Korea), Деадхил (EU|Russian), Åtchøûm (EU|French), Tellua (NA/ANZ)

A: Yes. Some day. It will take a lot of programmer time to implement, but it’s something we want to do

This has been addressed like 50 other times with the same response.

Why was a question wasted on this?

Because its the Armor and Weapons Q/A... so gtfo with your non-constructive hasslin'.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]