Ask the Devs - Answers #4: Armor and Weapons

85 Night Elf Priest

Q: Can we see gear won via need rolls become soulbound? - Lorinall (NA/ANZ)

A: Yes. We plan on implementing a system where winning an item via Need (when using the Dungeon Finder Need Before Greed loot system) will make a BoE item soulbound. We hope to have this working for the 4.2 patch.

To expand on that idea in case it’s not obvious, we don’t think players should be able to claim certain loot drops based on their class if their only intent is to sell the item. If you want to use the item yourself, awesome, go ahead and roll Need on it and you’ll get preference over players who can’t use that armor type. But if all you want to do is run to the Auction House, then everyone should have equal dibs.

SWEEEEEEEEEEET
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior

Lol if you want to try and compare weapon size to real life, I suggest actually holding a sword. Swords like Grand Marshall's Claymore were very "powerful" looking but very unrealistic as they probably weighed 100 pounds -.-

I am more than aware of this, but if your going to make something look huge it might as well be the weapon I'm using, not the shoulders. I would 10 times over rather see a gigantic weapon in a fantasy game, than gigantic armor. "hey look at my gigantic armor" um that does not sound very cool. Big armor never helped anyone.

The Lich King did not have giant armor and he had one of the best armor sets in the game. You don't need giant armor to look super bad ass.

You don't need anything over-sized to look bad ass. I see what you're going at but I'd rather not have a weapon that looks like it would weigh more than my character hanging on my back or in ONE hand.
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Rogue
Q: Is there any plan to allow Account Bound items to be transfer to other realms? This could really give meaning to the phrase "Account Bound". - 텔레토비아스 (Korea), Деадхил (EU|Russian), Åtchøûm (EU|French), Tellua (NA/ANZ)

A: Yes. Some day. It will take a lot of programmer time to implement, but it’s something we want to do

This has been addressed like 50 other times with the same response.

Why was a question wasted on this?

Because it is still (for some reason) a FAQ. Seems too many people can't be bothered to do a simple search of the answer.

I'm really hoping you guys seriously consider more in depth character designs. Although I don't RP, my character's appearance is very important to me. If you look at the statistics on all my characters (Gold spent in Barber Shops) you can probably see that. ;P
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
Just reading the wand Q. Why not let casters use there wands as an auto attack where melee use sword attacks and hunter use there bows, why not allow wandies to use this as an auto attack. The Shamans have there fire totem that spits fire balls. So in the end... allowing any wandies to have that as an auto attack would just work perfectly.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
I really want to color my gear. Always have. Diablo2 had that option and i wish this game did to.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12. Is there any plan to allow Account Bound items to be transfer to other realms? This could really give meaning to the phrase “Account Bound”. -텔레토비아스 (Korea), Деадхил (EU|Russian), Åtchøûm (EU|French), Tellua (NA/ANZ)

Yes. Some day. It will take a lot of programmer time to implement, but it’s something we want to do.

would it not be easier to just make the Account Bound items be able to show up when you make a new toon on a different server then trying to send it cross server and in some cases fractions. For example when i make a new toon i get chilly in the mail box why can the same happen for armor and weapons that are Account bound i would think that the programing would be much simpler then trying to get a system that can mail something from on server to the next.
just my 2 cents
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
@drbad It disappoints me when people make comments like that without thinking it through. You have no idea what their overhead costs are. Besides the salaries of their dev team, the cost of bandwidth and power for the many data centers is crazy high. Most data centers stay constant at 65F and the heat generated by this type of processing is awesome. Not to mention the lighting and power for he servers themselves. Are they making good money, yes, they are still in business, but I think most people would be surprised if they heard Blizzard's profit margin.
Then there's programming- it's really common for a wanted feature to sound easy to do, but is really rather difficult (thus much of the humor in Dilbert). So, when a feature would cost a team of 5+ developers 3+ months to write and would probably only keep a few users paying their subscription- it's not financially worth it!
Edited by Lechmich on 4/9/2011 9:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
It really disappoints me when they reference finances as a reason for not doing anything. At this point, I really don't think money should stop them from doing anything. They have enough money to do whatever they want.

Where in that Q & A does it say they can't do anything cause of finances? Or really when does Blizzard ever say they can't do anything because of finances?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@Lylira

Q: Can we see gear won via need rolls become soulbound? - Lorinall (NA/ANZ)

A: Yes. We plan on implementing a system where winning an item via Need (when using the Dungeon Finder Need Before Greed loot system) will make a BoE item soulbound. We hope to have this working for the 4.2 patch.

To expand on that idea in case it’s not obvious, we don’t think players should be able to claim certain loot drops based on their class if their only intent is to sell the item. If you want to use the item yourself, awesome, go ahead and roll Need on it and you’ll get preference over players who can’t use that armor type. But if all you want to do is run to the Auction House, then everyone should have equal dibs.

I think it would be awesome if you made all greed roll items BOE -or- BOA, then anything you needed on BOP.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
If u get rep gear in one guild and jump to another does the gear go with you?
Reply Quote
70 Worgen Warrior
04/10/2011 05:16 PMPosted by Gutshotrox
If u get rep gear in one guild and jump to another does the gear go with you?

By rep gear I assume you mean BoA and yes it will stay with you regardless if you join another guild.
Reply Quote
As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

Uh - Wait, what?

Cosmetic stuff shouldn't matter when it comes to gameplay. The only thing that should matter is making your character stand out in a sea of generic characters. The Barber Shop was a great addition to the game, because no one is satisfied with the hairstyle they choose when they create the character - at least, not in the long-term sense. The only issue that came with that is how...non-diverse...the hairstyles were.

We would like to see further character customization in terms of personal appearance.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Look at all these great and meaningful questions and debate. Kudos WoW community! All i wanted to know about armor and weapons is why the hell is my Reclaimed Ashkandi, Greatsword of the Brotherhood shorter then my Lava Spine?

This is the pressing matter I worry about.
Edited by Fabliaux on 4/11/2011 10:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
WoW is a very large franchise, with a huge user-base, and large income. The company that owns/develops WoW has plenty of money, which means plenty of manpower if they choose to get it. As a video game developer, I know what comes with making a video game, and to be completely honest, adding some movement animations should be a simple project. In fact, redesigning the character creation with more customization, better skins, better animations, and better everything should be a fairly simple process even still. Yes this stuff takes work, but it would be worth it. If efforts were doubled, or trippled on wow development, amazing things could come from it, and more active, happy users would result. There are a million things that could be done, just wish they would do it!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
FYI we'll be skipping Ask the Devs this week, resuming next Monday at 4:00pm PDT with #6 "Topic to Be Determined".

Answers for #5 "Achievements" are running a bit late, but are expected to be ready and posted this Wednesday morning.
Reply Quote
28 Worgen Hunter
FYI we'll be skipping Ask the Devs this week, resuming next Monday at 4:00pm PDT with #6 "Topic to Be Determined".

Answers for #5 "Achievements" are running a bit late, but are expected to be ready and posted this Wednesday morning.

Aw.

Oh well, looking forward too it!
Edited by Gëtmastiffd on 4/11/2011 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]