Ask the Devs - Answers #4: Armor and Weapons

95 Blood Elf Paladin
Q: Is it possible to let the players create/edit their own looks? - Zed Loft (Taiwan), Vysha (NA/ANZ), Ráchel (EU|German)A: As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is. We also think it's fair to argue that the game just needs more armor and weapon art. As we said above, we deliver a lot of art these days, but we also produce an enormous number of new items every expansion or patch and it’s understandably disappointing whenever items use the same art. It would be really cool if not every mage or priest converged on the same look after a given expansion or patch.

i like the barber shop it adds more uniqueness to us i just with there was more styles.

and yes the class features that look similar every patch is getting old to tell you the truth blizz u need more artists
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
As far as the whole "wands are useless" thing goes, why not just make certain spells only castable while a wand is equipped. Also, race specific ghost wolf models would be sweet.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Q: Is it possible to let the players create/edit their own looks? - Zed Loft (Taiwan), Vysha (NA/ANZ), Ráchel (EU|German)

A: As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

We also think it's fair to argue that the game just needs more armor and weapon art. As we said above, we deliver a lot of art these days, but we also produce an enormous number of new items every expansion or patch and it’s understandably disappointing whenever items use the same art. It would be really cool if not every mage or priest converged on the same look after a given expansion or patch.

What about secondary vanity slots?
Whatever is slotted there is for looks, not stats. Wouldn't the programing for the show helm/cloak be the same, or close to.
Would love to see a high tier warrior wearing a top hat, and running around with a shovel.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Do you think blizzard would be able to make tabards like helms and cloaks so that if you dont want to see them you can turn it off but still have them on, i dont know about anyone eals but i kind of like looking at my amour.
Reply Quote
39 Undead Warrior
The looks of armor dose need to change. I don't care if it's dyes or some reforging of images.
I can be in a bg, wsg or any other and i can cherry pick who i want to kill not based on "that's an easy class to beat" but rather I know what armor he is wearing and the stats. and Weapons are actually worse. Maybe add to reforging a blacksmithing ability to say take a sword with very nice stats and reforge it to a mace at a slight loss of stats or even an improvement of stats for a much higher reforge cost.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
i would like to see more distinct colors for a characters gear. it gets pretty tiresome seeing the a fellow with the same identical gear and colors. like giving the option to purchase dyes to change the color of your armor to give yourself a more unique look. i think i would it would add a very needed change in the game for the players like myslef
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
once again i ask of the tier sets it really needs to be adjusted to fit the character , and i am sure u can do this and make it fit to the new area look , such as were warriors look like the new fire lands golem its cool and it fits. but as i have said before pallys are plate wearers and a dress isn't plate and i hate looking like a mage /warlock/priest. i know u cant fix it now but i would like to ask if u can fix it later.
Reply Quote
04/05/2011 11:00 AMPosted by Lylirra
d on that idea in case it’s not obvious, we don’t think players should be able to claim certain loot drops based on their class if their only intent is to sell the item. If you want to use the item yourself, awesome, go ahead and roll Need on it and you’ll get preference over players who can’t use that armor type. But if all you want to do is run to the Auction House, then everyone should have equal dibs.

i think that boe it a bad idea possibly a boa would be better.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Q: Any chance we can start heading away from WWE-esque belts? - Catriona (NA/ANZ)

A: Azeroth is stricken by a terrible plague that inflates the size of shoulders and belts over time. Our artists like the belts because they have more room for detail when they’re larger. That said, your concern is duly noted.

dude these belts look sooooooo cool..... how can you not like them.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
Do we actually need Tabards? Can they be replaced with another form of recognisable slot item? such as a small idol like object which attaches to your shoulders or other equipped item, different colours / visual effects for different factions (Dal could be a purple shield that has green leaves flowing from it), something that doesn’t totally cover your current equipped gear but can still be seen and paraded.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
No more WWE belts, PLEASE.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
I would like to see troll druids be able to change the way that there cat form colors and patterns are so ur not stuck with it for the exitance of ur toons. You can do it with taurens why not trolls?
Reply Quote
what happened to the lvl 70 weapons from bc? i see the armor sets sometimes but no one seems to have kept there weapons and u can no longer buy them only the new ones
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
lol
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
ALII SUCKS HORDE RULES WAHOO btw i heard there is a glicth wit a piecace of armor if u eqiup it with a set u look like a org grunt
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
no comment to that if u say nothing IN 1 MIN ALLI SUCSK...........................................................................

Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
ALLI SUCK WAHOO
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]