Ask the Devs - Answers #4: Armor and Weapons

Q: Can we see gear won via need rolls become soulbound? - Lorinall (NA/ANZ)

A: Yes. We plan on implementing a system where winning an item via Need (when using the Dungeon Finder Need Before Greed loot system) will make a BoE item soulbound. We hope to have this working for the 4.2 patch.

To expand on that idea in case it’s not obvious, we don’t think players should be able to claim certain loot drops based on their class if their only intent is to sell the item. If you want to use the item yourself, awesome, go ahead and roll Need on it and you’ll get preference over players who can’t use that armor type. But if all you want to do is run to the Auction House, then everyone should have equal dibs.

Also awesome to this. I hope this goes for all BoEs also, and not jsut BoE epics. Too often you see people rolling on even the BoE blues for the intent of selling them.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Q: Is there any plan to allow Account Bound items to be transfer to other realms? This could really give meaning to the phrase "Account Bound". - 텔레토비아스 (Korea), Деадхил (EU|Russian), Åtchøûm (EU|French), Tellua (NA/ANZ)

A: Yes. Some day. It will take a lot of programmer time to implement, but it’s something we want to do

This has been addressed like 50 other times with the same response.

Why was a question wasted on this?

Agreed. There were several highly rated questions that asked about the current tier's itemization that was avoided by the dev's. Many people wanted to know if next raid patch's tier gear (ie valor and token gear) was going to be designed with more effective itemization than this tier. It was dodged and not answered. It was always one of the most highly rated questions in every region.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid

A: This is something we would dearly love to do. We agree that melee specs get to see their weapons a lot more often in combat while it's easy for casters to forget about them. It's definitely on the list, but understand that we have so many races now (and two sexes for all existing races) that the animations get expensive to produce.

This perhaps, should have been worded a little differently. We all know WoW is a huge money maker, and while I'm not going to get into math here because I don't have any financial evidence to base it on, I think it's fair to say that WoW brings in enough money to hire a couple animators. I realize that the Devs and CM staff aren't the ones in charge of the budget, but for a game company with a game the sheer size of WoW to say it's too expensive to add some new character animations seems just a little bit ridiculous.

You misunderstood what expensive meant. They mean expensive in TIME not money.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
inside jokes (Chestplate of Hubris),

I admit to being curious where this comes from...

I'll toss my two cents in on the barber shop thing though.

When I first created this character, he was bald and clean-shaven, which fit his character at the time. As he grew and evolved (yes I'm an RP'er, yes my character has his own personality, not it's not split personality disorder), that didn't fit him anymore. I was overjoyed when the barber shop was added, so I could put some hair and a nice beard on this character.

Since it was added I've made use of it on multiple occasions, using it to change my beard, hair, or the color from time to time. I also enjoy using it to test hair styles on my models, because sometimes it doesn't look quite the same when you're starting at the character creation as it does when you're actually using it in-game.

It is especially useful for us druids since it changes the look of our cat/bear forms.

Edit: Thanks for another insightful Q&A Bliz !
Edited by Ramkir on 4/5/2011 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
A: As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

I think you guys know quite well that the community is NOT asking for dyes. We are asking for aesthetic freedom on WHAT gear we wear not the COLOR of the gear you force on us.

Interesting way to skirt the issue though.

Also, i think the Barber shop was quite a nice feature. a real step in the right direction , however it is VERY limited so of course you don't feel it has had a game breaking impact. We have all the same options we had at character creation plus another races options(though to be fair, there were a few new hair/horn styles added).

You do produce quite a bit of art, but it feels like the amount per expansion is getting less and less, and overall less and less creative.How many classes wear rocks/wood this expansion? Then of course you have, for example warrior tier helms art being recolored and used as plate DPS helms, giving DKs and Paladins access to what should be a "warrior look". another issue with Cataclysm and WotLK item art is that most of it(stuff you get while leveling) is very bland and generic. I don't FEEL like a druid. I FEEL like I fell into a dumpster full of green paint.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is."

Honestly, the barber shop allowed people to change their hair, that is about it. There is not much excitement from it. Customization (like reforging) of your gear adds for a much more interesting aspect to our game play. Because it makes a player feel individualized, unique, "special snowflakes" if you will. And who is to say that it wont make the game more interesting? I know i have been running BT every week hoping to get my gear so that one day an "appearance tab" would be implemented. It is fun for me and it reminds me of why i love pre-WOTLK WoW so much.
Most players complain of not having anything to do after 85...well this feature will give us much to do by collecting gear and implementing it, it would mean so much for some of us!

Also...i do not believe that giving us an appearance tab will cost that much. Just saying.
Edited by Vierra on 4/5/2011 11:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Too many questions on appearance and model issues and not enough on loot tables, itemizations, and limited gear choices.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
A: As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

I think you guys know quite well that the community is NOT asking for dyes. We are asking for aesthetic freedom on WHAT gear we wear not the COLOR of the gear you force on us.

Also, i think the Barber shop was quite a nice feature. a real step in the right direction , however it is VERY limited so of course you don't feel it has had a game breaking impact. We have all the same options we had at character creation plus another races options(though to be fair, there were a few new hair/horn styles added).

You do produce quite a bit of art, but it feels like the amount per expansion is getting less and less, and overall less and less creative.How many classes wear rocks/wood this expansion? Then of course you have, for example warrior tier helms art being recolored and used as plate DPS helms, giving DKs and Paladins access to what should be a "warrior look". another issue with Cataclysm and WotLK item art is that most of it(stuff you get while leveling) is very bland and generic. I don't FEEL like a druid. I FEEL like I fell into a dumpster full of green paint.

I wouldnt have posted above if i knew you were going to post hahahah...o well.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
The clipping solution for tabards as a temporary fix? It was that way in vanilla...
Reply Quote
04/05/2011 11:18 AMPosted by Drbad
It really disappoints me when they reference finances as a reason for not doing anything. At this point, I really don't think money should stop them from doing anything. They have enough money to do whatever they want.

Don't be daft.
Reply Quote

We plan on implementing a system where winning an item via Need (when using the Dungeon Finder Need Before Greed loot system) will make a BoE item soulbound. We hope to have this working for the 4.2 patch

Yaaaaaaaaaay! Sure, it won't bring back the Dory's Finery I lost to a sodding Holy Paladin, but Yaaaaaaaaaay!

Q: Is there any plan to allow Account Bound items to be transfer to other realms? This could really give meaning to the phrase "Account Bound".

A: Yes. Some day. It will take a lot of programmer time to implement, but it’s something we want to do.

But in the 4.1 patch notes, it says:

Many "Account Bound" heirlooms are now labeled as "Battle.net Account Bound", meaning that they can also be traded or mailed to characters that are on different World of Warcraft accounts under the same Battle.net account.

I'm rather confused as to how the former is "Some day", but the latter is in the next patch. I'm assuming heirlooms will be able to be sent to a different WoW account only as long as the character it's been sent to is on the same server. Otherwise it's just confusing.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/05/2011 11:48 AMPosted by Slyver
Too many questions on appearance and model issues and not enough on loot tables, itemizations, and limited gear choices.

shows where interests lie and where bliz is lacking by popular vote pretty much
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

My hero! I'm a DRUID, and I long for the days of tier 1 and tier 2 looks. If you don't know why I'm QQ'ing look up tier 2 for the dru, especially and tell me it's not win!
Reply Quote
64 Gnome Death Knight
Seriously people. Just because you personally "feel like" Blizzard has a lot of money, doesn't mean they do, or can spend it on whatever you feel like they should, if they do.

I'd be surprised if anyone saying "Blizzard has a lot of money" has actually ever been a part of running a business day to day.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
04/05/2011 11:00 AMPosted by Lylirra
Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that.

I guess we can forget about character customization /sigh
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]