Ask the Devs - Answers #4: Armor and Weapons

90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/05/2011 12:25 PMPosted by Siguros
Also...i do not believe that giving us an appearance tab will cost that much. Just saying.

No doubt you have extensive experience in this area - designing both appearance and function.

It's a standard feature in almost every other MMORPG on the market, notably, every other MMORPG on the market tends to be F2P and/or have markedly fewer players than WoW. "We don't have the resources" doesn't cut it as a response on this issue. How is it acceptable to anyone, player or developer, for WoW to get lapped on features by Turbine and Frogster?
Reply Quote
70 Goblin Warlock
"Q: Do you have plans to make is so that the tabards don't suddenly cut off whenever we wear long vestments? - Hôwl (Latin America)

A: This is a technical issue that’s fairly nasty to fix and ultimately trimming the tabard ended up looking better, at least as a short-term solution."

And by short term solution, you mean, "Since the game went live on 11/23/04"?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
A: This is something we would dearly love to do. We agree that melee specs get to see their weapons a lot more often in combat while it's easy for casters to forget about them. It's definitely on the list, but understand that we have so many races now (and two sexes for all existing races) that the animations take more time to do right/well.

My biggest issues with animations though weapons (for casters) is basically one of the issues I have with Rift's animation. Rift's combat animations are terrible (excluding tomes). While it would be cool to have some abilities use a caster's weapon in their animation, I really hope they never make it like Rift's. It makes the animation look so slow, and boring. If combat animations are ever added to casting, I hope they're limited and not boring.

This is excluding the way Rift handles tomes. Using your tome to cast a spell is the only cool combat animation I found in the entire game.
Edited by Garrinard on 4/5/2011 12:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
We also think it's fair to argue that the game just needs more armor and weapon art. As we said above, we deliver a lot of art these days, but we also produce an enormous number of new items every expansion or patch and it’s understandably disappointing whenever items use the same art. It would be really cool if not every mage or priest converged on the same look after a given expansion or patch.

I respect that a guy takes some pride in his work, but some people just aren't gonna like certain designs. Take the JP shoulders, for example. I see those, and I think German WW1 helmet. All in all, they aren't my favorite design. But someone else might love them. Just, not me.

Some days, a guy just want's to wear his Crusader's Square Pauldrons. Heck, when i first saw the icon for Heaving Plates of Protection, I thought "hey, I can(maybe) get something that looks like the shoulders i used to use. But no, they are just a re-use of the DK tier shoulder model. I was slightly disappointed, to say the least. Just a misleading Icon.

All that aside, I would think that your designers would be happy that they designed something that so many people like, even if they did do it a while back.
Edited by Polymemnetic on 4/5/2011 12:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
I have a rogue that visits the barber shop fairly frequently... to change his disguise on a regular basis.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/05/2011 11:00 AMPosted by Lylirra
However, you can plan on it being maybe 2 to 2.5 times faster for the 25-player raid. It should feel analogous to number of Valor points or gold dropped in 25s, and is being treated the same.

This is just shameful and a slap in the face of 10 man raid groups. To make 10 man groups farm twice as long or more to get something than 25 is egregious game design if you are shooting for offering non-false choices. With your plan as announced so far, if a player wants the legendary, they should move to a 25 man guild.
Edited by Zosima on 4/5/2011 12:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
It's not about dye for me. It's about being able to get rid of oversized shoulders and belts. They look ridiculous...especially on a gnome. It's about being able to wear a robe/kilt instead of tight pants or vice versa. It's about having a choice no matter how small without loosing stats. You might as well get rid of the dressing room if you don't give us the option to look at least close to what we like to look. Try this pants on...looks ugly...not my taste at all but I have to wear it because I need the stats.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
The thing that I have a lot of trouble understanding is this. Blizzard has always been incredibly fussy and thoughtful about their artwork themes and animations. Balance Druid moonkin form just seems to run totally contrary to all of it.

When will features like the appearance of your character, the artwork of his gear, or even the barbershop be enabled for folks who play Balance druids? I'm sure the artists don't have a rule that says "we like to put a lot of effort into shoulder and belt graphics, except for balance druids"...

This model is at least 5 years old, the animations are clumsy, and I think a simpler long term solution is just to use a particle effect like you do for shadow priests. Then add a glyph which will allow people loyal to the old graphic to use it if they like.

holy crap yes!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior

My hero! I'm a DRUID, and I long for the days of tier 1 and tier 2 looks. If you don't know why I'm QQ'ing look up tier 2 for the dru, especially and tell me it's not win!

Dude the only time I EVER liked the way a Nelf male looked (no offense) was in that gear. This comment a thousand times. Don't get me started on the others...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I realize that Blizzard has development expenses, but being a player it seems like Blizzard is taking an extraordinary amount of money in, but giving an extraordinary low amount of content back towards the users compared to years past. It's really frustrating, especially when you combine that with the LFD, xbattlegrounds, flying mountsi n Azeroth, and queue from anywhere solo features of the game that have significantly crippled the community, then add the wonderful effort you made to a mount that you're going to charge people $25 for; and it just feels like you don't care about providing a great experience anymore as much as adding extra cash to ActivisonBlizzard's already bulging pockets.

I've played since launch, and a very high chunk of the people in the game that I know are quitting, citing things like "the game is terrible now", or "Cata ruined WoW", and I have a hard time disagreeing with them.

Everyone understands there are server maintenance costs and GM services that have to be maintained. Several people understand that Blizzard makes monster profits that help keep Activision Blizzard viable, but we really feel shafted right now. Old players, like me, feel even worse that Cata started with one boss we've killed once before, another we've killed twice before, and the "first" content patch (6 months after launch) will be two dungeons we've done before many, many times, and the patch after that features a boss that we've killed before; never-mind actually advancing story in WoW.

I do hope that other MMOs become more successful so that they challenge you to make this game better.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage

I think you guys know quite well that the community is NOT asking for dyes. We are asking for aesthetic freedom on WHAT gear we wear not the COLOR of the gear you force on us.

You do produce quite a bit of art, but it feels like the amount per expansion is getting less and less, and overall less and less creative.How many classes wear rocks/wood this expansion? Then of course you have, for example warrior tier helms art being recolored and used as plate DPS helms, giving DKs and Paladins access to what should be a "warrior look". another issue with Cataclysm and WotLK item art is that most of it(stuff you get while leveling) is very bland and generic. I don't FEEL like a druid. I FEEL like I fell into a dumpster full of green paint.

Touching on this, the mage T11 (Firelord) looks bloody awesome, it's one of my favorite sets and I cannot wait to complete it! I plan on getting all the recolours of it as well. But it doesn't feel Mage-y to me. It feels like something a spellcaster would wear but not a Mage. Arcanist, Netherwind, Magister's and Kirin Tor and Tirisfal felt Mage-y. But Firelord and Bloodmage just don't feel Mage-like to me.

As such, dyes would still be great to have, or even just the ability to pick which skin of an item you want to use. But being able to pick the model of an item would be even better. If an appearance tab ever comes in you could set some restrictions to it so people still look 'epic' and still have the classes be, somewhat, noticeable. Like only being able to have the appearance of items you could wear. Only Mages can wear mage gear, only Paladins can wear Paladin gear. Also have it be you can only have the appearance of items that match your best armor class, no Warriors in dresses or Mages in plate. You could also have each item slot have an item. That way you'd have full armor, and still look 'epic,' but there wouldn't be anyone tanking in PvPing wearing only a Lovely Red Dress.
Edited by Elivana on 4/5/2011 12:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
83 Night Elf Druid
04/05/2011 12:30 PMPosted by Zosima
However, you can plan on it being maybe 2 to 2.5 times faster for the 25-player raid. It should feel analogous to number of Valor points or gold dropped in 25s, and is being treated the same.

This is just shameful and a slap in the face of 10 man raid groups. To make 10 man groups farm twice as long or more to get something than 25 is egregious game design if you are shooting for offering non-false choices. With your plan as announced so far, if a player wants the legendary, they should move to a 25 man guild.

Raid-wide droprates will have to be balanced around raid progression and not how fast individuals can get the legendary. That said, 10 and 25 raids could have both equal individual and raidgroup legendary acquisition if the shards are party loot (everyone in the raid gets one) on a low drop%.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I would like to know if we will ever see anything but daggers in our offhand slot again.
Reply Quote
88 Human Paladin
Q: Can we see gear won via need rolls become soulbound? - Lorinall (NA/ANZ)

A: Yes. We plan on implementing a system where winning an item via Need (when using the Dungeon Finder Need Before Greed loot system) will make a BoE item soulbound. We hope to have this working for the 4.2 patch.

To expand on that idea in case it’s not obvious, we don’t think players should be able to claim certain loot drops based on their class if their only intent is to sell the item. If you want to use the item yourself, awesome, go ahead and roll Need on it and you’ll get preference over players who can’t use that armor type. But if all you want to do is run to the Auction House, then everyone should have equal dibs.

I can see this being a good thing but at the same time, this doesn't stop people from being trolls or idiots. Say if somehow a rare epic item does drop? You could greed it for a chance of getting it and selling it. Or you could still need the item to prevent others from getting it, lol.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
"Expensive" is frequently programmer shorthand for precisely that, expensive in time. For example, an algorithm that takes n^2 time would be "expensive". Should the question-answerer(s) have avoided using an ambiguous word? Maybe. But that's what they meant.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Q: Is there any plan to allow Account Bound items to be transfer to other realms? This could really give meaning to the phrase "Account Bound". - 텔레토비아스 (Korea), Деадхил (EU|Russian), Åtchøûm (EU|French), Tellua (NA/ANZ)

A: Yes. Some day. It will take a lot of programmer time to implement, but it’s something we want to do

This has been addressed like 50 other times with the same response.

Why was a question wasted on this?

because it is going in next patch. It's in the approved patch notes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The Barber Shop is a freaken great! It adds so much to the game! The problem now lies with you lazy devs. You stop adding styles and colors it's all the same ol same old. YOUR FAULT DEVS NOT OURS!

Add more styles and colors!

Make it part of our achievements. Have achievements unlock new styles in the barber shop.
Edited by Palastorm on 4/5/2011 1:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

My hero! I'm a DRUID, and I long for the days of tier 1 and tier 2 looks. If you don't know why I'm QQ'ing look up tier 2 for the dru, especially and tell me it's not win!

Love druid tier 2 :)

Lol at tabards looking stupid when wearing a robe/kilt is a "short-term solution." Give me an appearance tab already so I can wear pants.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]