Ask the Devs - Answers #4: Armor and Weapons

100 Blood Elf Paladin
One thing I would like to see is a rare dps polearm with strength and stam.
Reply Quote
8 Night Elf Druid
While I am sure it's easier for artists to work with a larger field when it comes to belts and shoulders, it ends up looking like your head is being swallowed along with your midsection(not that there is anything different about one head or another). Especially on female characters.
Sometimes less is more.
So far as appearance goes...I would use armor dye all the time. But I would simply love to see some real customization.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
So the barber shop didn't add depth to the game in the manner of sick new loot, so what? Last time I checked WoW was described as an MMORPG, folks who RP (like myself) really appreciate aesthetic customization. I couldn't tell you how many times I've customized and re-customized this fella here. I always play without a helm because I always like my armor style to match my face-style. I'm not saying I'll quit playing unless you add a dance studio, but I do mean that I friggin love the barber shop.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
More things that will never get done, ugh.

Maybe 2 years from now BoAs will be transferable to different realms, and the dance studio might be up and staff casting animations. I just get tired of nothing new except "It's something we would like to do" "we are planning that" because we will never see any of it.

Seems like fun takes a back seat to anything that's just completely tedious.
Edited by Violins on 4/5/2011 2:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Appearance tab I support this idea.

any reason not to do it has been shotdown in the 400+ pages "Appearance Tab" post.
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Paladin
04/05/2011 11:20 AMPosted by Barand
Why is Cookie's Cutter no longer a rolling pin? It's hilarious. Dude is cooking himself during the fight. Why is he handing out any item that looks "cool" ?

Haha I'm glad they changed it. I don't want my shaman to have to carry a silly rolling pin.
Reply Quote
97 Night Elf Mage
Q: Is it possible to let the players create/edit their own looks? - Zed Loft (Taiwan), Vysha (NA/ANZ), Ráchel (EU|German)

A: As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

We also think it's fair to argue that the game just needs more armor and weapon art. As we said above, we deliver a lot of art these days, but we also produce an enormous number of new items every expansion or patch and it’s understandably disappointing whenever items use the same art. It would be really cool if not every mage or priest converged on the same look after a given expansion or patch.

That being said i can understand ur point as in guild wars the dye thing does get old maybe that could be something that is put into like tailoring or something but what about items and weapons have multiple looks and when being equiped it would let you pick between 1 - like 3 looks.... ?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Q: Is it possible to let the players create/edit their own looks? - Zed Loft (Taiwan), Vysha (NA/ANZ), Ráchel (EU|German)

A: As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

We also think it's fair to argue that the game just needs more armor and weapon art. As we said above, we deliver a lot of art these days, but we also produce an enormous number of new items every expansion or patch and it’s understandably disappointing whenever items use the same art. It would be really cool if not every mage or priest converged on the same look after a given expansion or patch.

WHAT! I love the barbershop, the only mistake you guys make WAS NOT ADDING MORE STYLES. The barbershop is really the only thing in this game that lets you customize your character, and I know I for one would love a lot more options for hairstyles.
Edited by Kafkah on 4/5/2011 2:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
04/05/2011 12:14 PMPosted by Notbonfleur
Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it?
Absolutely. =)

I just want to chime in here to let you know how much I love the Barber Shop, vanity/fashion items, and all the other little things you throw into the game that let you customize your character's appearance and — especially — change it up when you get bored with your current look.

Call me names if you wish, but I'm a pixel fashionista and it means alot to me to be able to do this kind of stuff. Here is one player, at least, who finds WoW much more fun with the Barber Shop in place.

As far as being more likely to keep playing — think of it like gearing and enchanting. Technically that 50 Agility wrist enchant is like what, +100 DPS (or whatever), so why not skip it? But you can't think of it that way. It all adds up and the cumulative effect is what matters. So in that sense, yes, aesthetic features — simplistic or not — emphatically do contribute to my continued play. =)

I second this. Customizing my character is something I love to do when I'm bored and it's also very useful on a roleplay realm!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior

Nice that i got a response for my question, but by the way it looks it seems that is going to be a lot of time until i see something like a "apperance tab" avaible in the game.
It's sad that it's not really important to them like making dungeons or pvp systems. The barber shop is something really usefull, maybe i dont use it everyday, but im the kind of girl that get tired of the same hair-style everyday, same goes with the armor and weapons
Edited by Vysha on 4/5/2011 2:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I really struggle to think of a situation (at least as MMOs go) where a company has fought as hard to act against its own best interest as Blizzard does over the Appearance Tab.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Q: Any chance we can start heading away from WWE-esque belts? - Catriona (NA/ANZ)

A: Azeroth is stricken by a terrible plague that inflates the size of shoulders and belts over time. Our artists like the belts because they have more room for detail when they’re larger. That said, your concern is duly noted.

Well we can kill two birds with one stone. Reduce the size of the belts and then you have more time for other things to be creative on.

Seriously those belt are HUGE. If that is the size they want to keep them, the armor from belts should be double what they are now.
Reply Quote
When will druids get the ability to dual-wield fist weapons? The look suits a feral druid and attack style.

They just need an interface option to be shown when out of combat as well. Fist weapons always have had that downfall of never having screen time unless your in combat.

Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
04/05/2011 11:00 AMPosted by Lylirra
We also think it's fair to argue that the game just needs more armor and weapon art.

This isn't an answer to the question, the whole basis of the community wanting this feature is because we feel your artists are lacking in the creativity of armor design and color. Adding more weapons and armor that look terrible is not the answer.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I think the guy who talked about financing has the right idea. These guys are making millions, no, billions of dollars from us, and they think it would be "too hard" to implement some changes such as the flowing tabard on a robe. They could easily hire 4chan to hack there systems and give them the coding for it. I'm sure they could do it in a heartbeat, yet it requires "too many resources". Cry to the other billionaires. We know you have excess money Blizzard. Use it.
Reply Quote
Q: Do you have plans to make is so that the tabards don't suddenly cut off whenever we wear long vestments? - Hôwl (Latin America)

A: This is a technical issue that’s fairly nasty to fix and ultimately trimming the tabard ended up looking better, at least as a short-term solution.

So short term = 6 1/2 years and counting? Interesting...

Im was gonna say the exact same thing.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I always cringe when blizzard talks about the limitations in money or development time for features that players obviously want. I don't think anyone can argue that it is extremely lazy to have so many items look identical, not to mention how some combinations are just pointlessly weird. For instance, the hunter set is green/blue/brown, but the BiS (for all but trolls) weapon is pink/purple?? Please add upgraded models for heroic level items as well.

Even if armor dyes wouldn't add anything extremely meaningful to the game, I don't think the development time spent on this type of improvement would be wasted in any way. I love WoW, but I sometimes feel I can't understand Blizzard at all. There should be no issues with creating unique models and vanity content for a game that brings in over $1 billion a year. Hell, if money is the issue, then make us pay for armor dye kits in the Blizzard store.

If the issue is time, then the reuse of textures and models from ZA/ZG should provide ample time to make sure every single item from Firelands is unique.
Edited by Devoid on 4/5/2011 3:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
ugh, wish someone would have asked for all versions of the insignia of the horde to have 2minute cooldowns. like to see that 5m one be brought in line
Edited by Masq on 4/5/2011 2:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
04/05/2011 02:41 PMPosted by Sorreal
Great... thanks blizz... sounds like we get two dumb looking tiers in a row /facepalm

I also like to judge things before I've even laid eyes on them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]