Official Shaman Tanking Guide

85 Draenei Shaman
Have you ever been an enhancement shaman, beating on elites while doing substantial amounts of DPS while at the same time thinking "Gee whiz, I sure wish I could tank". Well wish no longer my friend, because now you can! With Gravestorm's Official Shaman Tanking Guide, we'll have you tanking heroics in no time.

Before we get started, lets weigh the pros and cons of being a shaman tank. Actually, scratch that. Let's just look at the pros since there are no cons.

-Pros-
1. The ladies love a shaman tank
2. A complete reconstruction of the enhancement spec is EXACTLY what we need right now.
3. You can finally use rockbitter all the time in dungeons without being called a baddy.
4. You can pull groups of mobs without getting vote kicked.
5. Even if you don't want to be a shaman tank, it lowers your DPS if you feel you are doing too much.
6. Fast dungeon queues. (Even faster than other tanking specs)
7. Shaman tanking is what makes magnets work.

-Getting Started-
Now that I've completely sold you, its time to get down to business. Welcome to the world of tanking! You may have mixed feelings right now. You may be scared, embarrassed, or even doubtful. Whatever you may feel, always remember to doubt your feelings when it comes to shaman tanking. As a beginner, logic is your worst enemy. It will take a while for your shaman instincts to adjust to this new concept.
Another thing to keep in mind while being a shaman tank, is to take what people say the opposite way. People will be so awestruck by your skills, that they will sometimes say things the opposite of what they really mean. (If someone tells you to go kill yourself, it means they appreciate your existance. If someone tells you that you suck, take it as a compliment to your superior skills. If someone tells you to let someone else tank, they are actually cheering for you to keep up the good work.)

-Gathering The Essentials-
First, you are going to want to grab a tanking shield and a tanking main hand weapon. You can find these in an assortment of 5 man dungeons. Simply roll need on the first tanking shield or weapon that drops. The tank that is in the group with you at the time may begin to call you derogatory terms or even attempt to vote kick you. However, you have to remember to keep your head in the game. Calmly explain to the current tank that you are using it to become a shaman tank. He should understand, and will apologize for jumping to the preposterous conclusion that you are a ninja. If he does not apologize, he may leave the group and allow you to tank because he is so embarrassed for doubting a shaman, that he just can't continue tanking.

You may also use 2h weapons to tank. Death knights, Warriors, and Retribution Paladins are most generous when it comes to allowing shaman tank enthusiasts to roll need on 2 handed weapons. They are also very humble, and will pretend to react in harsh ways just so people don't think too highly of their generous nature.

-Putting Together a Team-
As a shaman tank, you are superior to all the other tanking specs. You need a group worthy of your presence. However, finding worthy group members is no easy task. They lurk in the shadows, secretly waiting for a shaman tank like you to accept them into your group. Check world of logs or your local trade chat for the absolute worst players. Worthy group members for a shaman tank usually disguise their power by pretending to suck. Any normal player will instantly reject your offer to tank for them, because they know that they won't be able to survive the severely high levels of awesomeness radiating from you.

-Your Rotation-
There is no specific priority system for a shaman tank. That's one of the nice things about shaman tanking. You will get the same results no matter what priority system you use. So mix it up! Be creative!

-Your First Dungeon-
It's time to step into your first dungeon. You may want to grab a healthstone and a few potions before you do this. You may also want to choose a paladin as your healer, because of Lay On Hands. Keep in mind that you may wipe more than you would if someone else was tanking. The reason for this is because the game senses your superior skill level, and raises the difficulty of the dungeon.

-Recommended Talents-
I recommend picking up the following talents, to get the most out of your tanking experience.
http://www.war-tools.com/t72407.html?b=921501414415021

-Gemming and Reforging-
Coming Soon!

Have any suggestions? Feel free to add them. Being a tank, I don't normally accept suggestions from others, but I will make an exception for my fellow shaman.
Edited by Gravestorm on 5/10/2011 10:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
2/10 because you made someone so mad they reported you, which counts as biting.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
04/04/2011 03:30 PMPosted by Waves

He obviously meant to give it a thumbs up, as well as a silent applaud.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
04/04/2011 03:27 PMPosted by Gravestorm

No they don't. A majority of "the ladies" roll healer, and all the healers tell me they HATE it when I'm "tanking" even when I have double RB going.

04/04/2011 03:27 PMPosted by Gravestorm
Actually, scratch that. Let's just look at the pros since there are no cons.

I could go into it, but you're clearly a troll, so I won't bother.
Edited by Matuk on 4/4/2011 4:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

He obviously meant to give it a thumbs up, as well as a silent applaud.

It was an alright attempt, but stuff like this should stay on wowhead.

Then again, maybe we're just heartless jerks.
Edited by Waves on 4/4/2011 4:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Have you ever been an enhancement shaman, beating on elites while doing substantial amounts of DPS while at the same time thinking "Gee whiz, I sure wish I could tank". Well wish no longer my friend, because now you can! With Gravestorm's Official Shaman Tanking Guide, we'll have you tanking heroics in no time.

Before we get started, lets weigh the pros and cons of being a shaman tank. Actually, scratch that. Let's just look at the pros since there are no cons.

-Pros-
2. A complete reconstruction of the enhancement spec is EXACTLY what we need right now!
3. You can finally use rockbitter all the time in dungeons without being called a baddy.
4. You can pull groups of mobs without getting vote kicked.
5. Even if you don't want to be a shaman tank, it lowers your DPS if you feel you are doing too much.
6. Fast dungeon queues. (Even faster than other tanking specs)

-Getting Started-
Now that I've completely sold you, its time to get down to business. Welcome to the world of tanking! You may have mixed feelings right now. You may be scared, embarrassed, or even doubtful. Whatever you may feel, always remember to doubt your feelings when it comes to shaman tanking. As a beginner, logic is your worst enemy. It will take a while for your shaman instincts to adjust to this new concept.
Another thing to keep in mind while being a shaman tank, is to take what people say the opposite way. People will be so awestruck by your skills, that they will sometimes say things the opposite of what they really mean. (If someone tells you to go kill yourself, it means they appreciate your existance. If someone tells you that you suck, take it as a compliment to your superior skills. If someone tells you to let someone else tank, they are actually cheering for you to keep up the good work.)

-Gathering The Essentials-
First, you are going to want to grab a tanking shield and a tanking main hand weapon. You can find these in an assortment of 5 man dungeons. Simply roll need on the first tanking shield or weapon that drops. The tank that is in the group with you at the time may begin to call you derogatory terms or even attempt to vote kick you. However, you have to remember to keep your head in the game. Calmly explain to the current tank that you are using it to become a shaman tank. He should understand, and will apologize for jumping to the preposterous conclusion that you are a ninja. If he does not apologize, he may leave the group and allow you to tank because he is so embarrassed for doubting a shaman, that he just can't continue tanking.

-Putting Together a Team-
As a shaman tank, you are superior to all the other tanking specs. You need a group worthy of your presence. However, finding worthy group members is no easy task. They lurk in the shadows, secretly waiting for a shaman tank like you to accept them into your group. Check world of logs or your local trade chat for the absolute worst players. Worthy group members for a shaman tank usually disguise their power by pretending to suck. Any normal player will instantly reject your offer to tank for them, because they know that they won't be able to survive the severely high levels of awesomeness radiating from you.

-Your Rotation-
There is no specific priority system for a shaman tank. That's one of the nice things about shaman tanking. You will get the same results no matter what priority system you use. So mix it up! Be creative!

-Your First Dungeon-
It's time to step into your first dungeon. You may want to grab a healthstone and a few potions before you do this. You may also want to choose a paladin as your healer, because of Lay On Hands. Keep in mind that you may wipe more than you would if someone else was tanking. The reason for this is because the game senses your superior skill level, and raises the difficulty of the dungeon.

Have any suggestions? Feel free to add them. Being a tank, I don't normally accept suggestions from others, but I will make an exception for my fellow shaman.

stupid.....
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I would like to express boundless enthusiasm for your expressed desire and intent to tank with the master class.

In other words:
Great job on this. Good trolls are far and few between.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Voting for it to be a sticky marks it as Reported.

Sticky this, it's a very serious post and needs to be put up.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
This was immensely helpful! Thank you so much, now I'm a master Shaman Tank! People sometimes leave my group when they see me tanking because they can't handle the incredible amounts of awesomeness that pores out of me.

But seriously, I lol'd. 10/10, would read again.
Reply Quote
88 Tauren Shaman
I think it is kinda ridiculous the master class can't tank... I've tried to roll other classes to tank but just can never get over the fact I'm playing an inferior class. Blizz bring back the shamtank! Ques are long enough for dps as is let us help!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
04/04/2011 04:09 PMPosted by Matuk
No they don't. A majority of "the ladies" roll healer, and all the healers tell me they HATE it when I'm "tanking" even when I have double RB going.

it is quite clear that they are suffering from STAMDS or ShamTank Awesomeness Mental Degradation Syndrome and that they are trying to tell you how fun it is to heal you while your tanking
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
A+ would read again
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
OMG!! We have enough stickies already... voted! :P
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Was a pretty good read. Still perpetuates the problem though so thumbs downed.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
Bleh.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
04/05/2011 09:13 AMPosted by Zuza

it is quite clear that they are suffering from STAMDS or ShamTank Awesomeness Mental Degradation Syndrome and that they are trying to tell you how fun it is to heal you while your tanking

Precisely
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Oye.... 1/10 thread
Don't feed a troll children
Reply Quote
60 Tauren Death Knight
:/ tanking shammies would be nice. Queue times FTW.

alas, facetiousness.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
10/10 Big difference between trolling and just making an obvious joke thread for the amusement of the community.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]