Frost PvE Guide (5.4)

90 Draenei Death Knight
Is there a haste cap for frost DK? I have 2150 haste and 1457 mastery at the moment. Should I drop some haste for mastery since I have got 2 pieces of t13?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
No, there isn't one specific haste cap for Frost. If you personally can't keep up with your rotation (runes constantly capping, etc.) then that would be a different story, but I wouldn't expect that to only happen at 2150 haste.
Reply Quote
80 Worgen Death Knight
Hello I'm sorry if this question came up, but I was wondering when Frost starts to dps more than blood? Strictly leveling wise...I have done all specs and so far hands down Blood owns all three in damage and survivability. Even with diseases on, Obliterate falls way behind, compared to Death strike while Blood. Still waiting to find Glyphs, apparently pretty rare atm, so if that is the cause my apologies.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
At a low level, you have a lot of advantages towards going Blood when leveling. Glyphs will help (for both Frost and Blood leveling) but if you want to stay Blood all the way till 85, you can, as long as you don't try to DPS in a group in Blood spec.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
12/12/2011 06:23 AMPosted by Arakian
Hello I'm sorry if this question came up, but I was wondering when Frost starts to dps more than blood? Strictly leveling wise...I have done all specs and so far hands down Blood owns all three in damage and survivability. Even with diseases on, Obliterate falls way behind, compared to Death strike while Blood. Still waiting to find Glyphs, apparently pretty rare atm, so if that is the cause my apologies.

Blood is the dominant leveling spec. It self-heals and pretty much cannot die. Even if you try to die by pulling half the zone or two elites, you may well just be standing there with a bunch of corpses or two elite corpses.

Blood also hits incredibly hard and can do quite a bit of sustained damage at 85. The problem is that (a) Blood does this by being hit, and (b) a core component of Blood's damage is your runic power move Rune Strike, which can only be spammed in Blood Presence (your tank stance). Blood Presence has a huge amount of threat attached to it innately & Rune Strike has even more.

As DPS, the two things you really aren't supposed to do are take damage and pull aggro. And even with boss encounters where the raid is getting constantly blasted with natural damage, that second part prevents any attempt at making Blood into serious DPS.
Edited by Nachtwind on 12/13/2011 9:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Worgen Death Knight
Thanks a lot for the imput. I used to play my cousins DK back in LK and loved frost. Thought maybe I was doing something wrong. I actually like tanking so will probably stay blood for a while. Great guide Taruun, ill come back to this at 85 lol
Reply Quote
question:

I know that your not suppose to obliterate when your runic power capped so the gained runic power goes "no where", however assuming you have a KM proc , your capped and you can either Frost Strike or Obliterate- Do we obliterate even though were capped or do we frost strike?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
I believe in that situation you will get more DPS out of using Obliterate.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
can someone help me? my ilvl is 380 im hit and expertise capped and im reforging stats into haste but my dps seems too low for a "kinda geared" dk like me :( i've seen dk's that have less than 380 ilvl pull more than me i only pull 19k to 20k. i know rotations and stuff. can someone tell me what's wrong with my dk.

here : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/nordrassil/Gonnhirrim/advanced
Edited by Gonnhirrim on 12/20/2011 4:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
@Gonnhirrim

No glyphs and missing 4 enchants.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
@Nyargumflomf Ok thanks bro
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Any suggestions on a cloak enchant for Frost PVE? Spend hundreds of gold reforging away from Crit. Seems kinda stupid to spend hundreds on a +crit cloak enchant.

Is there an older enchant that actually gives some benefit?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Wynters: I never said that crit is useless. It still gives a DPS bonus. It is true that haste and mastery give more of a DPS bonus, but the difference between them may be less than you think. There is an enchant for 23 haste rating back in Wrath, but compare that to the 65 crit rating you get from the Cata cloak enchant. I can assume you, haste is better than crit, but it's not three times as good.

Gonnhirrim and Blackard: I think it might be time I write something along the lines of "Top 5 Things You Could Be Doing Wrong" and just add it to the guide. I've noticed the same issues coming up again and again. I'll get started on that.
Edited by Taruun on 12/21/2011 1:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Doomslayers, what do you mean? Of course there are moments where you can't attack at melee range, but Howling Blast still works at a distance. So does Death Coil. If you're really forced to be at range for ten seconds or more, it's better than nothing.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Do I want to reach Spell hit cap or Special Melee Attack hit cap?
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Wynters: I never said that crit is useless. It still gives a DPS bonus. It is true that haste and mastery give more of a DPS bonus, but the difference between them may be less than you think. There is an enchant for 23 haste rating back in Wrath, but compare that to the 65 crit rating you get from the Cata cloak enchant. I can assume you, haste is better than crit, but it's not three times as good.

Except I notice you didn't enchant your cloak with it ;).

I know it's not useless. It just seems, IDK weird, wrong, less than impressive to reforge away from crit for the most part, then turn around and pay $450g (on my server) to put it on my cloak.

I was looking through the Cata chanting and they only added 3 cloak enchant total for the Xpac? That's uhh, well stupid really. To think they thought could cover every class and spec's wants with 3 enchants.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Just the melee hit cap. Death Knights automatically get an extra 9% chance to hit with spells for free, which is all you really need even if you're using DW Frost. Mostly what you're doing with hit past the cap is making more of your white swings connect, which will cause Killing Machine to proc a bit more. That being said, the extra points you put into hit will serve you better as haste/mastery. Just don't freak if you're over the melee cap, because it still benefits you.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
12/21/2011 05:00 PMPosted by Wynters
Except I notice you didn't enchant your cloak with it ;).

Correction: I bought that cloak last night and didn't have time to enchant it yet. :P And a DPS increase is a DPS increase, no matter how you slice it.
Think about it this way: when you're reforging, you're taking points from one stat and shifting them to another, more valuable stat. But when you gem or enchant gear, you're adding points onto the gear that weren't there before. As an example, according to the latest EJ stat weights, if you were to reforge 100 crit into 100 haste, your DPS would increase by (100x1.92)-(100x1.68)=24. But if you were to add 65 crit to an item, your DPS would increase by 1.68x65=110. It's worth thinking about.

Plaugebringr: Hitting the special melee attack hit cap is an absolute requirement. It will be a bit of a DPS increase if you go up to the spell hit cap, and much less of a DPS increase if you have additional hit beyond that. Neither is mandatory, though as Enderon says it still can benefit you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]