Frost PvE Guide (5.4)

90 Tauren Shaman
I've been working on a Death Knight (after several tries before) and I'm very pumped about it this go-round. This guide is awesome, please keep updating it! :-)
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
nice guide
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Great guide! Very eye opening. Looking forward to my upcoming play time.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Thanks to you, I've been doing way more damage than I could have ever hoped for when I was unholy. I've read a few other guides on different classes and I really wish you've written them. You get in-depth and don't shy away from small details but you keep the language simple and easy to follow (and gotta love the side comments you make). Heck, you even have me checking this guide, just to see if you've updated anything.

And on a closing note: whenever people ask me for Frost help (surprisingly it happens), I immediately tell them that everything I learned came from this guide.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Thank you for the comments, everyone. :) I've been busy with quite a few RL things lately, so I'm sorry that I haven't had much time to respond to this thread or add any updates. I may be able to do that in the near future, but no promises. In the meantime, since we're likely to have 4.3.2 for several more months, the guide can stand as it is before I have to throw everything out for MoP and write the whole dang thing from scratch. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Edited by Taruun on 2/15/2012 3:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Of course a Death Knight wants to use only plate armor with Strength.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Oh, you mean that you're using PvP gear in PvE instances! Well, unfortunately I'd have to agree with those other people for the most part. The big reason is because that PvP gear is full of resilience, which is completely useless in PvE situations. If you swapped it out for PvE gear, you might lose a little strength, but you'd gain a large amount of haste or crit or mastery in place of that worthless resilience, and you would see a DPS increase. If you're serious about PvE, it's a good idea to be developing your own gear set, and you might get kicked less often. :P

TL;DR PvE gear is better for PvE situations, even if the PvE gear has a little less strength than the PvP gear.
Edited by Taruun on 2/19/2012 9:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Thanks. :) I'm here to help.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
thx for the guide i am 7/8 heroic 10man with a 403 IL and it all started learning how to dk(properly) from this thread :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
For DW is it best to have slow main, fast off, or both slow ?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
You should aim for a weapon speed of roughly 2.6 in each hand.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Slow as possible.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Good Guide. It helped me a lot when I was screwing up my rotations/priority. I am loving Masterfrost right now.
Reply Quote
55 Human Death Knight
I am really coming to trauma clinic on this matter - I am parsing horribly low on Yor'sahj and Hagara. I switched to Frost specc to do more on those bosses recently, but I'm new the the specc and it's just not working.

Sadly these are farm bosses for my guild so I have no time to practice on them. And target dummies just simply do not represent these bosses well at all.

So:

-If I change presence to frost during black add phase, how much will I improve? When do I change back?
-If use a bad weapon with cinderglacier (397 pvp) instead of 403 souldrinker with razorice, is that good or bad?
-Yor'sahj may have no deadzone for hunters. But does the boss still have front and back?
-For ice phase on Hagara, if I follow the pack of other melee on the outer ring and attack the same turret that everyone else is attacking, does that make it better or worse for me damage done? If I happen to go off alone on a different side, or get separated due to frostflake, is this somehow bad for me?
Edited by Camlann on 3/14/2012 1:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Since my own experience on these bosses is limited, I'd appreciate any input others can provide.

03/14/2012 01:04 AMPosted by Camlann
-If I change presence to frost during black add phase, how much will I improve? When do I change back?

You will see an improvement in going to Frost Presence during that phase, but bear in mind that swapping presences makes you lose any runic power you currently have. I'd switch when you have a lot of runes and not much runic power, and not the other way around.

-If use a bad weapon with cinderglacier (397 pvp) instead of 403 souldrinker with razorice, is that good or bad?

I can't say for certain without running the math, but my hunch is no.

-Yor'sahj may have no deadzone for hunters. But does the boss still have front and back?

Very much so.

-For ice phase on Hagara, if I follow the pack of other melee on the outer ring and attack the same turret that everyone else is attacking, does that make it better or worse for me damage done? If I happen to go off alone on a different side, or get separated due to frostflake, is this somehow bad for me?

It's probably best if you stay with the pack. As Frost, you can be at your full DPS output in a matter of seconds, and you'll gain the benefit of any debuffs placed on the target. But I wouldn't say it's outright bad to get separated.
Reply Quote
65 Blood Elf Death Knight
Thank you for all your work on this guide! I just recently started playing again, having been gone since vanilla, and am new to dungeons entirely. I've had great fun in them on my hunter and am now excited to get my DK leveling in them. I need to practice what buttons to stab at but I feel confident that I won't be completely yelled at even wielding 2H :)

Do you have any recommendations as to what sets to go for? I'm a bit fuzzy there because looking up DK stuff on wowhead is all things that have way more stamina than strength. Is that to be expected?

This is surely a complete noob question but what does proc and resources mean when you say "the fact that DW gets more procs than 2H and 2H gets more resources than DW"?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
If you're still leveling, then nine times out of ten the only thing you need to worry about is strength. Get whichever piece of armor has the most strength and you're good. The secondary stats are more of a concern once you hit maximum level.

DW gets far more Killing Machine procs than 2H does, because an auto-attack from either weapon has a chance to trigger it. But DW doesn't have access to the Might of the Frozen Wastes talent, which gives 2H a chance to gain additional runic power from every auto-attack.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]