Frost PvE Guide (5.4)

55 Troll Death Knight
10/07/2012 07:54 AMPosted by Fraxure
I gotcha. So basically, Icy Touch is extremely niche for Frost, and I just need to know ahead of time if I should have it ready or not, depending on the instance.

Yes, it's fairly rare that you'll ever need to use it, especially PvE.
Reply Quote
wait is soulreaper if theyre below 35% HP? Or if theyre going to be under 35% in 5s?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/17/2012 03:25 AMPosted by Marìo
wait is soulreaper if theyre below 35% HP? Or if theyre going to be under 35% in 5s?

You could use soulreaper at 100% if you wish, but you will only get the initial damage, for the big strike they need to be below 35%, you could cast ahead of time if you know they will fall to 35 soon.
Edited by Grieve on 10/17/2012 5:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I really like the guide I constantly come back to it when I am looking for more info, I did notice that you mentioned using Soul Reaper above everything else. Im finding a hard time agreeing, simply because When a KM procs and I can use it on OB I have found im better of doing that instead of using SR. Sense hitting 87 and getting Soul Reaper I have yet to see this HUUUGE damage people keep talking about from SR. Its initial hit goes for 15-40k and when the dot finally goes BOOM its more like boom, hitting anywhere from 60-100k on average and and when I get lucky and have a good crit its about 140k-180k, not that impressive when I can hit an OB with KM up for 150-220k. I can only think of a handful of times in which SR actually hit like an OB with KM. I always feel like im losing out on dps using SR over OB with KM up, not only does it not hit as hard as most none crit OBs the dot rarely ever gives me numbers that are competitive to an OB with KM and I have to wait 5sec just to see that lack luster hit aswell. IM just curious if anyone else has noticed this problem and if so have they also been usin OB with KM up over SR or continue to use Soul Reaper over all
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
10/17/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Cimmerîan
I really like the guide I constantly come back to it when I am looking for more info, I did notice that you mentioned using Soul Reaper above everything else. Im finding a hard time agreeing, simply because When a KM procs and I can use it on OB I have found im better of doing that instead of using SR. Sense hitting 87 and getting Soul Reaper I have yet to see this HUUUGE damage people keep talking about from SR. Its initial hit goes for 15-40k and when the dot finally goes BOOM its more like boom, hitting anywhere from 60-100k on average and and when I get lucky and have a good crit its about 140k-180k, not that impressive when I can hit an OB with KM up for 150-220k. I can only think of a handful of times in which SR actually hit like an OB with KM. I always feel like im losing out on dps using SR over OB with KM up, not only does it not hit as hard as most none crit OBs the dot rarely ever gives me numbers that are competitive to an OB with KM and I have to wait 5sec just to see that lack luster hit aswell. IM just curious if anyone else has noticed this problem and if so have they also been usin OB with KM up over SR or continue to use Soul Reaper over all

One rune cost, and hits just about as hard as Oblit.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Yea I was forgeting the 1 rune coast because it messes with my rotation, I been using it more effectively now so everything I said earler is basicly useless.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Ok I have a question about the Masterfrost priority.

Shouldn't there be something along the lines of (-HB if one frost+ one death rune are up) above (-frost strike) in the rotation?

I'm just curious since if you have one of each rune up the others are recharging and you are denying yourself RE procs

Edit: Also I'm feeling massively resource starved as frost is this normal?
Edited by Mchammer on 10/20/2012 2:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I switched to Frost DK shortly after hitting 90 on my feral druid, after realizing I wasn't having fun with the druid. Thus, I'm still obviously a really big, undergeared noob.

I've been reading forums and guides over and over to get the swing of frost, but I still feel like (despite my terrible gear) I could be doing so much better dps-wise. So after some reading, I came to ask a couple questions:

1.) I know I want to use Frost Strike at max runic power, on a KM proc (I'm DW), and if nothing else is up... but do I want to completly drain my runic power using it in the last situation, or do I want to save some so I can instantly use a KM proc or two if they come up?

2.) I find myself with nothing to hit a lot of times (when following the priorities in this guide), except for Plague Strike or Howling Blast (with a situation, like, say... one rune up, one just now starting to recharge, and an unholy soon to come up for Oblit). Do I want to hit HB anyways, or just wait on the oblit?

3.) Should I stop fussing about "if I'm doing it right" (after seeing my bad dps) until I actually remove all my leveling blues and greens and load up on full heroic dungeon blues or better? :P

4.) Should I bother trying to use CLCDK as so many people are telling me?
Edited by Claw on 10/24/2012 9:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
10/24/2012 09:43 AMPosted by Claw
4.) Should I bother trying to use CLCDK as so many people are telling me?

I don't really reccomend having an add-on play the game for you, but you may wish to have it if you're learning.

3.) Should I stop fussing about "if I'm doing it right" (after seeing my bad dps) until I actually remove all my leveling blues and greens and load up on full heroic dungeon blues or better? :P

If it mean's anything to you.

2.) I find myself with nothing to hit a lot of times (when following the priorities in this guide), except for Plague Strike or Howling Blast (with a situation, like, say... one rune up, one just now starting to recharge, and an unholy soon to come up for Oblit). Do I want to hit HB anyways, or just wait on the oblit?

I guess you'd wait on Oblit? Not really sure as DW as I'm mainly 2h.

1.) I know I want to use Frost Strike at max runic power, on a KM proc (I'm DW), and if nothing else is up... but do I want to completly drain my runic power using it in the last situation, or do I want to save some so I can instantly use a KM proc or two if they come up?

No, saving KM is generally a DPS loss.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Ok I have a question about the Masterfrost priority.

Shouldn't there be something along the lines of (-HB if one frost+ one death rune are up) above (-frost strike) in the rotation?

I'm just curious since if you have one of each rune up the others are recharging and you are denying yourself RE procs

Edit: Also I'm feeling massively resource starved as frost is this normal?

Nothing?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/24/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Jäckßäuer

No, saving KM is generally a DPS loss.

Well I don't mean saving KM. I meant saving some Runic Power (Like, say, 40 or so) so I can instantly use any KM proc that comes up. Or should I go ahead and just dump all my runic power and hope to instantly refresh some runes (I picked RE as a talent)?
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
10/28/2012 08:58 AMPosted by Claw
Well I don't mean saving KM. I meant saving some Runic Power (Like, say, 40 or so) so I can instantly use any KM proc that comes up. Or should I go ahead and just dump all my runic power and hope to instantly refresh some runes (I picked RE as a talent)?

Don't save your RP either.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Well, damn.

I wish I had checked this post before starting my current (and only) DK. I've learned a lot of the rotation, defensive mechanics etc. on my own, but man, this would have saved me some time.

Cheers all.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

Saving runic power is lost dps and it has to do with your rune regeneration abilities. Your frost strike activates your abilities that either builds or reactivates depleted runes. Using that frost strike could be the difference in a chain of abilities being used that gives you more runes/runic power and repeating the process. Once you find that sweet spot you will see the numbers fly with the right RNG. Even using horn of winter correctly can give you one more frost strike leading to one more rune activation and another killing machine obliterate seconds faster.

Good luck and keep the DPS rolling!
Edited by Deathsshamm on 11/6/2012 3:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
i think i may have to reforge my gear lol
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
The main reason I like frost is because it's very chaos theory. Every action you do has a cause and effect that leads to further actions or none at all. Even chance can play a part in it but a smaller part. What you are doing now could have consequences in your future. It's subtle but the difference can be somewhat substantial. I don't really see the same in other classes I've played. Others can call it face roll if they like but I beg to differ. Frost is easy on paper but mastering it is a different story.
Edited by Tor on 11/20/2012 2:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
ok 2H frost question, Haste>crit>mast. since crit doesn't stack with KM as stated in the guide, why is it more important a stat than mastery?
Reply Quote
55 Goblin Death Knight
11/21/2012 04:27 PMPosted by Sweepthelegg
ok 2H frost question, Haste>crit>mast. since crit doesn't stack with KM as stated in the guide, why is it more important a stat than mastery?

Crit would still benefit Obliterate, which is basically almost all of our damage is going to go to.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Basically Crit's value is for when you do not have Killing Machine. If you've ever had those moments when your dps was larger than usual then it's likely those times when out of no where 10-15% more of your obliterates were crits on their own. As 2 handed you would mostly just use Frost Strike to fuel your Obliterates and even using HB costs you Obliterates so Mastery is not really on your to-do list.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
thanks
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]