Frost PvE Guide (5.4)

(Sticky)

93 Draenei Death Knight
Bumping my threa again because it seems like there are people who'd want to look at it.

Considering the recent brouhaha, I'll probably add a little bit on the old Frost DW gearing system, with the caveat that it's technically lower DPS but still viable.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
New EJ guy is new, give him some time.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
04/30/2011 04:41 PMPosted by Fists
New EJ guy is new, give him some time.

Better yet, if you see something incorrect, send a polite PM to him about it. These threads are heavily dependent on community input, even when Consider was running the show.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Why exactly should we be using UH presence now? I havent put extensive attempts into it, but after reading your 4.1 edits to this thread I decided I'd try out both pres. on dummies. UH pres seems much faster but, My DPS stays around the same as frost presence. Is there a big difference with like UH presence or something I shouldn't lose sleep over?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
For DW it's kind of dependent on your stats. Even before 4.1 there were a number of people claiming to get good results from UP, but it doesn't work out to be a gain for all gear compositions and can also change depending on other factors. If you don't find any noticeable difference after several trials then just pick whichever you prefer. In 5 mans it's not going to make or break you either way.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Well after re-reading the bottom portion of his edit it made a tad bit more since aswell. I am trying to reforge my stats and such to haste and it does seem to improve. Im trying to get out of 5 mans thats my problem! :P
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
Then the biggest differences you'll be able to make are gearing up and refining your play.

Gear improvement is the thing most likely to get you into a raid, if only because that's what you'll initially be judged by.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
This thread has been invaluable! I was wasting a lot of time and damage casting Icy Touch, Blood Strike and even Pestilence-on-cooldown. You've vastly simplified my priority "rotation" and helped me stick a nearly constant 10k DPS.

Thank you!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
What's caused this shift to Haste and UH Presence?

Nothing in the patch notes really changed anything did it, is this just a testing thing?

more oblit= more rp+rime= more gcd's used. the haste also up's the chance of km proc's and added more rp to throw around on a 1 sec gcd.

The new changes seems to favor it, however as i mentioned in another thread there are currently 5 or so ways to gear/play frost atm and every one of them will be competitive with to better than unholy (assuming you aren't just rolling your face on the keyboard). The testing is more about what best to do in endgame raiding in our BiS sets (it is haste heavy after all).
Edited by Avengingbeef on 5/1/2011 11:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Death Knight
Great guide for someone who's just coming back to WoW. Allowed me to quickly jump back in and start leveling up to 85.

Thanks Taruun for all your time and effort. Much appreciated.
Edited by Larthodin on 5/2/2011 10:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Thanks for posting this. Requested for Sticky!
Edited by Garland on 5/2/2011 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Great guide, this needs to be stickied.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I'd just like to /bump to keep this on the front page. Also, I thought the guide was pretty good and informative.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
Thrall's Balls! Can we get this thread stickied PRETTY PLEASE?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I just want to point out, for any of our slower brethren, that there is an actual "Request Sticky" button at the top of every thread. Presumably if enough requests are made, it happens. I'm guessing some of the aforementioned brethren are merely replying "i want stickyzzz". Click the button please.
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Death Knight
Thanks for the support, everyone. :) Grishkana, there was actually a blue post only a few weeks ago which said that only one person needs to click the sticky button, and everyone else should click the "Like" button on the first post. Confusing, I know.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Out of curiousity, I've noticed you having rune of fallen crusader on OH and your razor ice runeforge on MH in this guide, now does that specifically matter or is there an exact reason behind it? feel free for pointing out my noob-ness of this question, but I'm just trying to get better at frost pve is all :D
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
05/04/2011 05:49 AMPosted by Zarrasong
Out of curiousity, I've noticed you having rune of fallen crusader on OH and your razor ice runeforge on MH in this guide, now does that specifically matter or is there an exact reason behind it? feel free for pointing out my noob-ness of this question, but I'm just trying to get better at frost pve is all :D

RI use the weapon dmg from the hand its in, while crusader doesnt care what hand its in. usually main hand will do more.
Edited by Zalaa on 5/4/2011 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]