WTB Incubus. No, not the terrible band.

85 Draenei Death Knight
So, I have a question to throw at the WoW dev team and the community. Maybe some will agree with me, I am sure many others of different backgrounds will not. Here is my shot in the dark.

I am going to open this with a simple statement. I am gay. I know that is sometimes a big deal here in this game, where it seems to be mainly male dominated and, sadly, mainly hetero.

Back to my point.

What I wanted to possibly fire at the dev team is this: I have been leveling an affliction warlock over the course of the past 48 hours. He is currently level 44, since sleep and eating and spending time with the other half are kinda important, else he'd be 60. He is a dwarf. Me, being the gay guy that I am, really dont like staring at something of the female gender all day. Its not very appealing to me. I am not saying this has to be viewed in a very indecently skewed manner. This is no different than a hunter wanting a pretty pet, or a specific pet skin because it looks "b.a.".

To give slightly further background I do not play any female toons. Why should I? I play male toons because I am male and I prefer to represent myself as a male and I prefer to look at males. I know my example of the BM hunter can be sort of misconstrued because you could say "But Detraxi, how in the world can you say that when pets are meant to be genderless!" Well thats true. There is no discernible "object" on a pets body that allows you to easily determine preset genders, and thats because it is left to the hunters naming and imagination to say whether or not it is male or female. The succubus is OBVIOUSLY female. That little branch of creativity and imagination is taken away from warlocks of the different persuasion, (or female warlocks, for that matter! Those that arent a member of the other persuasion. Otherwise, you ladies have it MADE!) and it shouldn't have been.

What I want to ask, is why does the Succubus (yes, I know, its a female denoted demon.) HAVE to be female? Why cant we have an option, at, say, the level the demon is trainable, to train both a male and female version of it? Or hell, why not introduce a minor glyph? You already have a base model like this in the druid trees to allow their Tree of Life to retain the old treant model. I know that it is an ability glyph and just follows a buff to change the model, yes, but I have faith in your programming staff.

I don't want this thread to be misconstrued as some crazy attempt to over-sexualize an aspect of the game that already has that appeal to it on a very shallow level. I just want to know if this idea is worth trying out.

If you want a spark of where to start, Wrath-Scryer Soccothrates is a WONDERFUL model to start out with.

What is everyones opinion on this? I would love to hear your thoughts. Please, I know part of this touches on sensitive matters, but please, be civil. The mods are watching you.

THEY WATCH EVERY KEY YOU HIT.
90 Undead Warlock
Long question, but short answer:

In popular culture representations of this sort of creature, the female (succubus) tempts and seduces weak-willed mortals with her smokin' hot bod. The male (incubus) skips all the temptation business and simply forces himself upon unwilling mortals.

See the difference? One is a magically-induced embarrassment situation, and the other is a real-world crime. Bringing the first one into a game is silly and generally seen as harmless, the other strikes way, way too close to the bone for a fantasy game.

And yes, we kill people all the time in this game, which is also a real-world crime. Don't ask me why that's okay and this isn't, I'm not a sociology professor, despite my fetching monocle.
85 Draenei Death Knight
Long question, but short answer:

In popular culture representations of this sort of creature, the female (succubus) tempts and seduces weak-willed mortals with her smokin' hot bod. The male (incubus) skips all the temptation business and simply forces himself upon unwilling mortals.

See the difference? One is a magically-induced embarrassment situation, and the other is a real-world crime. Bringing the first one into a game is silly and generally seen as harmless, the other strikes way, way too close to the bone for a fantasy game.

And yes, we kill people all the time in this game, which is also a real-world crime. Don't ask me why that's okay and this isn't, I'm not a sociology professor, despite my fetching monocle

I do see your point. I do. My only disagreement with your argument is that the representation you are using is but one of many different versions of the demon. There are some that the demon even is bisexual, and uses the same techniques that the Succubi do when seducing and embarrassing his or her targets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus#cite_note-wima-10

I mainly point my attention to the 11th citation note.
85 Goblin Priest
04/11/2011 11:39 PMPosted by Detraxi
THEY WATCH EVERY KEY YOU HIT.

Those creepers D:

I would love having a Incubus on my Warlock I do get tired of the female model at times. However I doubt Blizzard would do this seeing as we all know there would be QQ about "OMGZ A MALE THING SEDUCED ME IN PVP I DON'T ROLL THAT WAY!1!". That and Scuzz does have a point and a rather dapper monocle.
85 Draenei Death Knight
04/11/2011 11:59 PMPosted by Cástiel
"OMGZ A MALE THING SEDUCED ME IN PVP I DON'T ROLL THAT WAY!1!"

And being "sapped" by a male rogue is any better? :P
85 Goblin Priest
04/12/2011 12:01 AMPosted by Detraxi

as long as it's a belf male I won't say no ;). That and I guess being seduced by a male when you are in fact a male brings up insecurity issues in some men? I dunno i'll stop typing i'm clearly tired XD
Edited by Cástiel on 4/12/2011 12:05 AM PDT
90 Undead Warlock

I do see your point. I do. My only disagreement with your argument is that the representation you are using is but one of many different versions of the demon. There are some that the demon even is bisexual, and uses the same techniques that the Succubi do when seducing and embarrassing his or her targets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus#cite_note-wima-10

I mainly point my attention to the 11th citation note.

Oh I'm well aware there are many interpretations throughout history, but that's not what's relevant here. Notice I said "in popular culture", which is where WoW derives most, if not all, of it's themes.

There's plenty of precedent for dwarves, for example, to be something other than vaguely-Scottish, mine-dwelling, booze-chugging treestumps with beards. But, commonly, that's what people think of when mentioning dwarves in a fantasy setting. So, that's what we run with here. Orcs are big, mean, and smashy. Elves come in both wise, tree-huggy variety and magically, snotty-jerk variety. Zombies eat your brains :)

In the end, what you need for this to happen is not to change Blizzard's idea of what an incubus might be, but what our entire western culture's idea of it would be. And right now, what it would be is... well, completely unfit for a T-rated game, that's for sure.
85 Draenei Death Knight
04/12/2011 12:03 AMPosted by Cástiel

as long as it's a belf male I won't say no ;). That and I guess being seduced by a male when you are in fact a male brings up insecurity issues in some men? I dunno i'll stop typing i'm clearly tired XD

Eh, they can deal. That and you gain +1 from me. You win.
68 Worgen Rogue
I'm sorry sir but I don't understand the issue you have with the succubus. I am female and straight as a titanium arrow, and I don't mind running around with her on my alt lock.
85 Draenei Death Knight
In the end, what you need for this to happen is not to change Blizzard's idea of what an incubus might be, but what our entire western culture's idea of it would be. And right now, what it would be is... well, completely unfit for a T-rated game, that's for sure.

Oh if only it were that easy. That and there are plenty of things that need to be changed in pop culture in our western society.

I wont let this die though. I want to hear a lot more opinions on this. I want to know if I really just have a pipe dream or a legit claim. I would love to even possibly MAYBE hear a blue response to this.

Btw, you have been wonderful. We need more people like you. You win also.
85 Draenei Death Knight
04/12/2011 12:07 AMPosted by Chihuahua
I'm sorry sir but I don't understand the issue you have with the succubus. I am female and straight as a titanium arrow, and I don't mind running around with her on my alt lock.

You can agree to disagree, but you have to remember there is a key word-set in there that I already dealt with. "I am female and straight as a titanium arrow". I covered you fine ladies in the beginning.

Also, its down to personal choice.
85 Goblin Priest
04/12/2011 12:04 AMPosted by Scuzz
And right now, what it would be is... well, completely unfit for a T-rated game, that's for sure.

Heh... heh... the things I just imagined.
85 Draenei Death Knight
04/12/2011 12:09 AMPosted by Yugimonster
Some Succubus are in fact male gendered in game, despite their overtly feminine appearance. There are a few quests, effects, and/or items that will emote or otherwise establish the gender of unit, and it is not unheard of for a very busty Succubus to actually be a dude.

Even more readily available models then!
90 Undead Warlock
04/12/2011 12:08 AMPosted by Detraxi

Oh if only it were that easy. That and there are plenty of things that need to be changed in pop culture in our western society.

I wont let this die though. I want to hear a lot more opinions on this. I want to know if I really just have a pipe dream or a legit claim. I would love to even possibly MAYBE hear a blue response to this.

Btw, you have been wonderful. We need more people like you. You win also.

Why thank you. I would like to compliment your attitude, as well. So often on this forum when someone hears a disagreeing opinion, their reflex is to shout "troll!" and carry on with their rant. I appreciate you taking the time to read my thoughts as I have read yours :)

That said, I don't want to get seduced by a male demon either. But I do loves my succy ;)
85 Goblin Warlock
Honestly I have to call troll here. If you frequent these forums at all you have to know the chances of getting a serious post on this from players are slim to none.

On top: I have never heard of a male succubus. Just my .02 and i mean no disrespect to you or your lifestyle.
85 Tauren Paladin
Detraxi, check out Proudmoore it's got a live and fun crowd to be a part of. (woof!)

As for your suggestion, if he's anything like Anders from Dragon Age 2, count me out.
Edited by Mogey on 4/12/2011 12:14 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]